New and getting started

Hi guys, only a week ago I discovered the wonderful world of AgOpenGPS and been drowning myself on all the different topics since.
I live on a small farm (20Ha) and see AgOpenGPS as my best chance to finally win from my dad in sowing straight.
There are a few things I’m still not completely clear about and hope you guys could help me out before I order my hardware. My goal is to get a base GPS system going (maybe build a RTK base) and use autosteer on our NewHolland tractor.

I’m thinking about building a Teensy 4.1 based system since it brings more computing power.
Also got my mind set on a BNO IMU (read most postive things about that one)

But what’s the added bonus of a SimpleRTK2B micro over the normal one?
I really like the all-in-one PCB but the new one (V4) is only out with a micro SimpleRTK2B. Should i go for this? or wait for the new V4standard? which I assume will be with the “normal” F9P.

Or would you even advise me to start with something completely different? I would consider myself to be quite handy, I know the programming basics and would love to learn to do the soldering and assembly myself.
Hope you guys have to starting advice!

kind regards!

The difference between the micro and standard Ardusimple is size (however it doens’t make a huge difference to the PCB dimensions) and for the Micro you need to solder the usb connector to the board in order to set it up. That usb is a little fiddly and fragile for novice soldering (I broke one on the bench just by fumbling the usb cable).

The micro is cheaper if you get in on a group buy. That said I found out the hard way that buying 5 at a time triggered a bunch of extra taxes that weren’t getting triggered buying them one at a time and ended up costing me more per unit than buying the standard one or two at a time.

Take a look at the wiki which is getting pretty good now. My advice would be go the standard and wait a few days for the standard board V4 revision to be released. While you wait get a wheel angle sensor and start figuring out how you’re going to mount that.

What model tractor?

Também estou ansioso pra poder começar meu projeto! Mas eu também estou receoso em usar o micro… estou aguardando a placa V4 padrão!

Thanks! Yeah thought the dimentions would be the biggest difference. Soldering the USB as my first soldering job sounds quite tricky, think i’ll take your advise and wait a few more days for the standard V4 to be ready.

Thank you for the heads up on taxes that’s a good thing to keep in mind, I probably will have to buy a lot of things abroad.

We use a TL90A New Holland, great little machine, would be awesome to get it to run on GPS.

Regarding a future RTK base station, the F9P would also be suitsble for this? Just need to choose a way to transmit the signal then. Curious if there are any free signals in my area already, i’ll find out when i get there.

Planejo iniciar com modo autônomo somente para mapeamento no inverno e pro verão começar a atualizar para auto steer .
Na minha região do Paraná Brasil a internet móvel é péssima então pelo pouco q entendi vou ser obrigado a optar por correções via rádio. Estou pensando em adquirir na ardusimple… Seria uma boa opção?
Ainda não encontrei mas tem opção de compra em grupo pra f9p padrão?
Obrigado a todos! Isso q estão fazendo aqui é incrível !
Transforma sonhos em realidade… Pois aqui no BR , as coisas se tornam quase inacessível devido aos preços!
Graças ao Agopengps vejo uma luz no fim do túnel!

I have a friend with a TL100A that I put put Panda on for him. Am talking him into autosteer. It would be pretty straight forward on that tractor. Ardusimple is good for base and radios if you need it. I get free corrections via phone hotspot so I haven’t really looked at the base station work others have done.

The micro F9P is smaller.

You don’t have to solder the USB plug if you buy a fully assembled/soldered board from JLCPCB, or from someone here.

The only soldering on the V4.1 micro boards that I had to do is the 24pin teensy headers and the ampseal connector which are super easy and very beginner friendly, all the micro usb connectors and smd components were soldered already by JLC. I don’t know if you would still be able to get into the group buy but if you did it would probably be the cheapest option.

I am in a similar situation and have ordered the AIO board and some other parts.
I would appreciate if someone could summarize different options for RTK correction and what’s the most preferred solution right now.

That’s really nice! Yeah im looking to use panda too, seen some really Nice and stable autosteer video’s with panda.

Hopefully the standard V4 Will be out soon, maybe if i can still get into the group buy i’ll consider the micro setup.

Its Amazing to see how this community is bringing GPS to the smaller farms, always been impressed with those big farms and fields cant wait to have that too

Agree, and it is also fun to be able to customize as well. Yesterday I got a breadboard with arduino and UDP to work with section control in AOG simulation. Relays ordered for the sprayer😊.
Still, l have not really grasped the different RTK options.
Got in to the gps topic when I heard about a setup base/rover with Ublox. Eventually ended up in this great forum. Still a bit concerned about the proposed coverage of the radiosignal between rover and base. In Europe there are also some limitation in the “transmission power”

Its just so much to take it, that’s why i just started this help thread . For like every abbreviation i need to Google lol but we will get there. I still have to start fiddling with the simulator, to bad we dont do our own spraying think it would be really cool to get a section control going then.

One thing i dont really understand het tho is what is panda exactely? Is it like the version of software that got a name? Or is like a special technique?

PANDA is the system that the teensy boards use that synchronize the IMU and F9P so for each GPS reading there is a perfectly timed IMU reading sent along with it. This means that your roll compensation is actually compensating for the correct roles at the same time.

As I understand PANDA is just the code. PANDA needs a Teensy since the arduino is to slow to synchronize IMU and GPS data. Perhaps I got it wrong?

alright thx, that already cleared it up so much for me.

I got into the group buy and that discount does look good.
So guess I’m going micro in this case!

next to get the board ordered, looks like JLCPCB got a lot of shortaged on the parts, is there an alternative site maybe? looks like a lot of the headers are out of stock, would this maybe be something i could solder on myself? Or is the new V4 most surface mounted and isnt this really an option?

also looking for a Teensy now but hope to find one on a European webshop so i dont have to pay all the taxes.

I ordered the AOI board without headers since they were out of stock. In the local shop I purchased 40-pin 2.54 mm and 2.0 mm headers. My plan is to cut the headers to the correct number of pins and solder them to the AIO boards myself when they arrive. Hopefully it will work.

Back to the RTK correction. I could read that it seams that using so called NTRiP protocol is a way of transfer corrections over internet. If I understand correctly you could transfer corrections from either your own base station or neighbor, community etc…
This seams to be the way to got in order to avoid problems with weak radiosignal transfer.
I would appreciate if someone could confirm if NTRIP is the way to go…

This is my first season using ntrip or any rtk corrections for that matter, and I would just say make sure you have good reception everywhere if you’re relying on ntrip. If you do I can’t imagine anything being better or easier.

For me as a beginner it seams that this DIY project will grow. This feels tempting:

So tempting :grin:

Thanks B_bimmer, NTRIP seams the way to go. We have great 4g reception in our area👍