Non-GPS autosteer with AOG

GPS removed from the tractor steering system, the part of AOG that steers the tractor, in contrast with keeping it involved as secondary guidance for steering as described in the preceding paragraph. Not removing GPS from AOG as a whole.

I like this idea, could even give it more like ±250 mm. It would probably be the easiest way to test alternate guidance sensors in the short term.

Full disclosure, I am still working to get the normal AOG + PCB v2 autosteer set up in my tractor, so it will be a while before I can build or test anything.

Antenna would not pysically need to move, just tell AOG that it did. A little coding math on the offset and AOG would still map it in the correct new location and drive to that location. I think???

old text but this idea i really like, to adjust the line with cameras :smiley:

1 Like

I see this is an older topic but looking for a similar set up. Mine would prefer feelers on row crop equipment for task like side dressing, spraying, cultivating and ultimately combining. The idea is simple enough but I know nothing about coding. It could be included in AOG @BrianTee_Admin as a setting to pull reference values from, so one could simply turn it on or off for there desired task.

Maybe one way to do this is to make the feelers act as keyboard shortcut or even as joystick. Then open AOG in Sim and let shortcuts steer the tractor.
One of the threads mentioning shortcuts :
Customizable keyboard shortcut.
EDIT:
Correct as potatofarmer says in next post, but to follow any row (planted with a drawn machine without gps on it) would also be nice:
Another way to do this with feelers (or camera) is to open normal AOG and use “Drive” if there were shortcuts for R and L there.
And If you still have the gps on the tractor you can “paint” the worked area correctly.

Would it not be easier just to put a second GPS on the implement to ensure it is in the right spot? If you are willing to have 250mm of error, RTK already is 7mm and does not drift year to year.

Problem is we don’t run rtk and if it is custom work nobody else is running rtk either especially in my area of the US. No free networks no stations and BIG money. Heck these guys are barely using row markers. And at that, the end row gaps range between 6 inches apart to 45 inches for a 30 inch row space. Yeah stupid numbers but what I have to deal with. I know there is a company that kind of does it already. They intercept the gps signal, add there feeler guage reference number and they send the correction to the monitor for steering.

I obviously could fix the rtk issue on my own stuff but that is a fraction of what we do. We custom apply urea over top corn for guys with a self propelled so row guidance would make our work look even better. Especially with there really bad rows to follow.

This seems like it would be relatively simple, if aog had an option to take input from GPS or feelers. Remember the hydraulic slide hitch that basically took angle of the feeler sensor and moved the slide hitch left or right of center accordingly ? Like someone mentioned earlier, just use that input with the drive feature in aog. I think just convert the feeler sensor to counts per degree and run it through a Kalman filter, then to drive.

Here is another system and how they integrate it.

Should be fairly simple to auto nudge the ABline over as needed to compensate for the corrections from the sensor.

I’d assume that a reading of 0 to 256 would come in in byte form. 128 would be center. Anything other than that would nudge the abline over. Filtered of course.

1 Like

I like this idea. We’d like to use it for row crop harvest instead of having to nudge on screen. A keyboard shortcut could work too but I think a PGN would be more reliable then spamming a “keyboard button”, especially when you minimize AoG.

All my rows are good, but I loan my high crop to a neighbor that uses it to inter crop rye into his cotton. It would be great for that.
Help me understand, would the feeler sensor need a second ads on the pcb ? Then you would send a pgn to agio. Would aog recognize activity from that pgn and switch to “row sense mode” automatically ? That’s why I thought a selection button on aog would be good.

I think we should be able to use the existing ADS’s Aux inputs, the Arduino’s own analog input might also work good enough. I was thinking of adding a switch to the Autosteer Arduino to turn on/off the row follow PGN, and maybe a pot to set the row center position. This way the only modification AoG needs is to accept a new line nudge PGN and the code to nudge accordingly. In our case, I think most of our rows are straight enough that a physical nudge switch/button(s) would be a good start already so that we don’t have to keep looking at the screen and tapping but I would design the PGN and code to work with an analog feeler right from the start.

Well, that works. I set up a slider to mimic the values coming in from the sensor. 0 to 256, 128 is centered. It will nudge the ABLine over 1 meter left to 1 meter right. I’m not sure how to get this data into AOG effectively, but if you can get the information in, it will auto nudge.

if (ABLine.isBtnABLineOn)
            {
                double Slide = (double)(SlideBar.Value) - nudge;
                ABLine.MoveABLine(((double)Slide/ 128));
                ndgLbl.Text = SlideBar.Value.ToString();
                nudge = (double)(SlideBar.Value);
            }

Be aware that pressure sensor and current sensor is already using one of the Ads1115 aux.
In AOG v5 it one of the possible settings.
Edit 23/06/21:
The statement above is only correct for AOG V4.
Removed link as it is no longer relevant, Because AOG V5 (for faster WAS readings/PID loop) can only use one ADS1115 input.
Leading to, as stated later in this thread, Standard AOG V5 now uses Nano A0 for pressure or Current sensors.

In the 80’s I sold Sukup the patent for this.

[Pardon Our Interruption]

Simple row sensor - pivot centered on row with 2 feelers a switch is activated that triggers the solenoid and runs the cylinder, shifting the mounted imp. sideways. Steer the imp. not the tractor.

2 Likes

it no longer works with v5 you only can use one channel to be able to read several channels you have to use the ADS1015 library as v4. v5 uses ADS1115_lite ADS1115-Lite/examples/ADS1115_lite at master · terryjmyers/ADS1115-Lite · GitHub
or add a second ads1115

I think the Arduino’s own ADC would probably work. That being said I have modified the autosteer ino to read ch 0 for WAS and ch 2 & 3 for my sprayer section pressures, it seems to work, it slows down the WAS reading frequency because the ADS has to switch it’s input MUX but it still reads fast enough for 20hz.

What kind of sensor do you use for section pressure?