One IMU rules them all?

Hi

I’m new to this system, but have previously worked with dynamic positioning for offshore in many years.

I have recently started farming and quickly found this great project on Github.

While I try to get into the system, I don’t really get the IMU part, Is there really a need for two sensors? One at the panda and another at the Autosteering? I believe the steering PCB just utilizes the heading, while the PANDA use roll and pitch?

I also see that; in the documentation and IMU is drawn seperatly outside these two boards. This is much better solution, but I don’t find to much information if this replaces the other two sensors?

Bård

1 Like

If you add a panda board to the older autosteer board then remove/reuse the IMU. No need for two IMUs.

Exactly

If your made of money and lazy, just change the address of the bno in the V2 board ino and it will disable it.
Some people love the solder.

Or just straight up remove it from the V2 board, and connect to the teensy 4.1

Currently BNO seems to rule, if you can get one

Hi

Not yet into all the shorts for the components yet, V2 board is th original PCB for steering? I have made the KaupoiMOD version. Not excatly sure what you ment in your recent post here…

I have BN0’s from adafruit.

You have the correct bno.
Schematics is same for both PCB v2 and kaupoi v4.
Now AOG has evolved, so I also suggest to use kaupoi without bno085, and make the panda board which use a teensy 4.1 and combine input from bno085 and ublox F9P . Output is a roll corrected GPS sentence. (Read the panda thread)
Alternative is to ditch the kaupoi board and order the all in one board which use teensy instead of the nano .
A lot of components from kaupoi board can be used on the aio steerboard, if you want to solder yourself.
Jlcpcb can make the aio steerboard with most smd components and then you solder the missing parts through hole .( The board is designed to use both types)

Here’s one thread of 49 when search panda board

2 Likes

Thanks!

Too bad I already made the kaupoi board, this looks more “complete” with everything on one board.
Which version would be the easiest to make? And what is the differences? just connector types?
Is the partlist from Digi-key?

Bård

Yes just different connectors (almost only)

Partslist probably not for any specific company.

Just check schematics to see which are smd and which are through hole (top side are smd, bottom are tht.