PCB version 2

There are already voltage regulators on the DualGps board, so power the DualGPS pcb with 12v on the connector, and remove the jummer in front of esp32.
So there will be power only for esp32 and nano with usb hub

Cui VX7805 500mA
VX7805 1000mA

The Dual PCB from andreas has it’s own Power Supply.

Petar was faster then my computer refresh time :wink:

1 Like

Would something like this be sufficient??

You should be careful to the power dissipation. The regulators power at least the nano, the ADC, maybe a USB hub, maybe other stuff. Your regulator is a LDO, so it has to dissipate power to decrease the voltage. Let’s say you have a voltage drop of 13V-5V=8V and a current output of around 500mA. This gives a power dissipation of 500mAx8V=4W, which will heat up the chip quite a lot and probably kill it (or at least shut it down). A switching regulator like the VX7805 will dissipate far less heat.

Note : the 7805 datasheet from ST gives a thermal resistance to ambient for the TO220 package without heat sink of 50°C/W. So 50°C/W.4W means a rise of 200°C above room temperature. Basically, the chip is dead

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t specific about the PCB. It’s not his dual heading PCB I’m using but the “old” one. I wasn’t aware of the new dual PCB.

It could instead of a regulator intended for ADS and WAS, it would even be desirable, due to less noise, since it is a linear regulator, but for everything else you can use VX7805-1000

1 Like

The regulator is sensitive to voltage peaks caused by some inductive components in the tractor and will cause problems.