Plough control

I believe the max plough width eventually should be an independent parameter. To me the max and min parameters represent the full adjustment range of the plough and are fixed parameters. Would be better to have a min/max pair when calculating the fan. Then give up and inform the driver if the angle is too larger or if the field is too narrow to reach an integer number of swaths.

Are you planning to extend this experiment to contour lines like starting from a contour and adjusting the plough to reach a straight AB-line. Possibly the reverse at the other side of the field, moving from straight AB-lines to reach the contour edge smoothly?

Even the above would not cover all fields, some manual operation must be accepted.

Yes, max tool, min tool compare to max line and min line. Is there a solution, build anyway yes/no?

Curve to ab and ab to curve is goal. Find intersection of curve and Boundary. How many points on the curve between the two intersections. Divide abline into same number of points and convert to curve. Find max and min offsets, compare to max and min tool, solution yes/no/ignore min. Divide each pair of points by number of passes, build new curve lines. Say it really fast, sounds easy. Iā€™ll see what it will do.

1 Like

Found this video

Test ISOBUS-Steuerung fĆ¼r Vario-PflĆ¼ge - VarioPloughControl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrgIZd4x74

Interesting. Actually an oldie but first time I learn about this product.

It is not 100% Isobus but close. No need for an additional screen but relies on the Fendt external hydraulic control. Actually exactly what Iā€™ve used, Iā€™ve just connected to the rear fender switch instead of the cabin switch.

The fan mode I find a compromise against mine and the Dutch product. Iā€™d like to see the sudden width changes avoided, continues smooth adjustment instead preferably.

3000+ Euros plus VAT is perhaps reasonable. Would be if it was fully Isobus. Still expensive compared to my 50 Euro Raspberry Pi plus a few euros of additional parts.

The settings looked like assuming ā€œfull vario ploughā€. Mine are Kverneland ES with a fixed first furrow but I believe the settings can be tweaked a bit to handle ā€œpartial plough width controlā€.

NorthernFarmer would love to know more about the Raspberry Pi and code. I have been wanting to do the same with my Topcon/ Plough. I might be able to help with the code as my son is Studying Computer Sciences at Uni and code in Python!! I have a Gregoire Besson plough that is fully hydraulic and I confess I am not the best Ploughman. Would love to use the Topcon guidance to improve my ploughing ( especially if its stops everyone commenting on my ploughing!!). Would love to know moreā€¦

Which tractor would you use for ploughing? Commercial plough control devices seem to prefer an external electrically controlled valve, makes it the same for all tractors. Iā€™m ā€œstealingā€ the rear fender buttons that allow a simple small transistor drive for valve control. This all should work via CAN but Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m too old to start learning that topic despite a lot of good info here.

I just update my Raspberry Pi OS and the default Python editor changed. The new editor gave me a huge list of things that should be corrected. At this point Iā€™m still hesitating to share the actual code, too ashamed of the mess. It would be a significant advantage for me if a pro would write the code.

Iā€™ve also changed from a HDMI display to an iPad, supposed to control the Pi via VNC.

One would not need to be a louse ploughman to gain from plough control. Even if one can reach the same quality manually, plough control relieves the stress from constant monitoring and manual control. I bet even the best ploughman cannot achieve the same result on a fan-shaped field, finishing the field with the exact same plough width as anywhere else in the field. Of course some fields need manual control.

Same tractor as you a Fendt 724 with Topcon X30 screen and a AGRI-4 receiver.

My plough has not only hydraulic front furrow but also hydraulic working width and hydraulic depth control. It is all controlled from the cab via a manual switch box and using only 1 spool valve at rear.

I have very varying soil across my fields so although I start straight it always ends up s shaped. I tried a KV 2500 i-plough with their screen which seemed over kill for what it did. Manually controlling it can be a real bore and i usually dont worry about the wavy lines!!

I just wish I could use the Topcon to control the plough width to keep the lines nice and straight. I could easily replace the control box with a Raspberry Pi just need to work out how to do it and how to get the right signals from the topconā€¦

Being able to fan the ploughing would be a bonus!!

I also used to work in IT as a database programmer and did a bit of coding but that was years agoā€¦ I leave it to my son nowā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not familiar with your plough brand but google gives me the impression that they are similar to the Kverneland EG or the KV 2500 ploughs where furrow width adjustment applies to all furrows, the front one too. Your front furrow width adjustment is probably then mainly to cope with different tractors. This makes plough width control easier. Only need one plough width sensor and only need to control one valve to set the correct plough width. No need to simultaneously adjust the front furrow.

Seems plough width adjustment in your case would be simplest via the existing switch box. The control SW would not need to know which valve is used.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean with the Topcon controlling the plough. Topcon has their own plough control box that should work via the Topcon screen but has limited functionality. If you plan to use a Raspberry Pi for plough control, the Topcon screen only needs to provide accurate position information (RTK accuracy is a must). This would be available as NMEA data from one of the two big connectors behind the screen. A bit different from my case where Iā€™m using the OEM GNSS receiver and NMEA data is available from the 9 pin DB connector at the cabin roof. No difference as such for plough control operation or the SW.

RPi can read NMEA data with a simple USB to RS232 converter. It only needs an ADC converter to read the plough width sensor and some buffer hardware to drive the spool valve.

I have been using AgOpen to drive the plough width on a Fendt 818.

AgOpen is modified to send the line distance to the line & if we are going same way as AB or not.

From there a Arduino Nano connected as machine board to AgOpen has CAN shield and sends messages on the CANBUS to move the plough in/out to keep straight & also presses the GO/END to lift it in&out on the headlands

The only sensor on the plough is a width sensor (just a cheap wheel angle sensor)

@KentStuff by any chance do you still have your fan AB code still around somewhere?

I really should make a video & share some code (itā€™s not much really)

Iā€™m not too sure how to do it without AgOpen. From somewhere you need error to the line & direction (unless you have another sensor for rotation)

4 Likes

Sounds really good. I wonder if this modification could be shared?

I have a reed relay telling which way the reversible plough works. The control program then does the same as you do with AOG. The error to the line comes from the actual tractor position and the instantaneous wayline that plough control calculates.

We talked about this earlier but I feel AOG does not really need those odd wayline models that are of interest for plough control. The FAN mode is one, others are gradual change from contour to AB lines, or from AB to contour. Perhaps someone is able to add those to this modified AOG program even if there is no interest for ā€œnormalā€ AOG operation.

I had to watch some youtube videos of how to use winforms to modify the user interface in Agopen. My first setup was way too confiusing to try share & show how to setup.

I have now had a round up of all my plough code, and will make a video to show how to set it up.

The Arduino programs are:

• Fendt CANBUS (Com3 or SCR/S4)
  • Basic relay ouputs

Click here: Modified version of AgOpenGPS v5.5 for plough control.

Click here: Video of the bench test and settings

8 Likes

This is a really nice add on for agopengps! Many thanks for sharing your code. I am definitely going to try this out this fall.

Nice work @CommonRail . Very simple set up.

Where to find those vids of editing winforms?

Just a video showing this setup working, pretty sure its better than by hand.

With this setup AgOpen is operating the Fendt hydraulics to move plough in/out and also the Go/End to lift the plough up/down at the headland.

Video of plough working with Fendt 818

4 Likes

Does this system only guide the plow in a straight line or can it vary the working width to line up with the opposite side of the field?

Any progress on this topic?

What you wanna know?

if there is any updatet software on GPS steering tools