Project : designing an all-in-one compact PCB for AOG - what do you need?

Does someone have at hand a Cytron MD13S driver ? I’d like to know the references of the driver chip and of the power MOSFETs, as they seem to work very well. Thank you !

i think it might be using the DRV8701 Brushed DC Motor Full-Bridge Gate Driver

If the driver would be integrated to the PCB, could we also think of adding current sensors? This way you could run propo valves “correctly” in current control instead of direct PWM.

1 Like

@redalert11, yes it looks like it. Thanks
@nut could you tell me more ? I don’t intend to modify neither the Arduino code, nor AOG, but your feature looks like it needs that. Do you know more precisely how it should be implemented ?

The idea I had was more add the current sensing capability as an option, so you could still use the standard AOG and ino, but if the driver is integrated to the board you could just use current sensing mosfets and add the possibility to measure the output current with an opamp from the sense line. You don’t need any high power resistors to do that. Then if you want to build current control for a solenoids you’d have the sensed current (or a voltage proportional to that) connected to the analogue inputs on the arduino. Just on “should work in theory” level, though :roll_eyes: Some schematic I found with google:

1 Like

@Valentin: More and more devices come with USB-C for power and data. You may combine both to one USB-C cable, if you integrate something like this:
USB-C

I would use preassembled boards for the charger and the DC/DC. You cannot buy the components for the price you get the whole PCBA…
Examples:
Car charger USB-C
DC/DC

Mind that I’ve shown a USB-C plug with reduced pin count (easier to solder…)

Hi,
Maybe include a possibility of CANBus?
Even if at the moment it is not widely used, surely more and more people will want to use it in the future.

1 Like

@Valentin: did you start your PCB project in the meantime?

@Tooki57 I read about CANbus somewhere else in the forum, so yes people may be interested, but I don’t know much about it. Do you know what it could be useful for ? Also, did you already design something with it, related to AOG ?
@GoRoNb lately I stepped away a bit from the project. I’m getting back to it, and I’ll keep you posted.

What you suggest is to use the USB C capability to recharge the tablet and connect it to the USB hub with only one wire, is that right ? Provided that the tablet bought is compatible with USB C recharge of course. I agree that it could be useful, even if I don’t personally have a need for it (I use a Surface Pro 4 in the cab). I’ll think about it.

Where I don’t see things your way is about pre-built modules. They may be a bit cheaper when you scavenge them form Chinese products, and quick to work with, but this comes with a great deal of drawbacks in my opinion. It’s more bulky than discrete components on the main PCB. It’s also harder to interface, the bottom side may not be flat, and you’ll certainly need flying wires. All in all, the system would end up less reliable, less solid and less professional looking, especially if I follow the same reasoning for other features.

Hello ,
Yes I use CanBus on 2 tractors. I use it in the Uturn functions instead of the relays to control the tractors.
I use MCP2515 modules, but it shouldn’t be complicated to integrate it into a pcb.

I also see a benefit in putting things together on a PCBA. So integrating CAN is interesting (you need an SPI + one chip select per CAN). Müller/Trimble has a system, that steers just with GNSS and CAN. Back to the PCB: There are components like 12V => USB-C PD, where you have no chance to integrate that for an acceptable price. That’s why I suggested to use such a converter and feed it to the PCBA. Does all the CC line handshaking and power conversation for you. The concrete reason, why I asked about the project, is that @Aortner is trying to build a group of people pushing AOG right now

1 idea … :
Maybe an serial out from nano to go to HC06 bluetooth ?

@GoRoNb being able to power the computer/tablet through USB C would indeed be really useful. If scavenged boards can do it and cost pennies, I guess it must be possible to implement it ourselves for a reasonable cost. I don’t know enough about the USB C universe to be sure about that statement though, but there seems to be many branded chips able to take care of these things. Anyway, it all comes to weighing the benefits and drawbacks of each solution, and compare them to what we are trying to build with this PCB : do we want something compact and reliable, something useful with all the features we can imagine, or something as low cost as possible ? Certainly a balance between these. I’d be opened to discuss of these topics with you @GoRoNb, @Aortner and anyone else that want to be involved.

@Tooki57 like with CAN bus, do you also have ideas and examples ow use cases with the HC06 bluetooth module ? How useful is it ? How reliable is it ?

I just thought about replacing the usb wire with bluetooth. I’ve tried it on the desktop and seems to be working fine. Besides taking the arduino TX / RX out of the pcb could still be useful for another future use, I don’t know which one but still.

@Valentin supplying via USB-C means two things: 1st is combined step-up/step-down converter with 100W max (!). This for itself is challenging, but of course possible with modern components. I think there is a reference design from ST, covering the 2nd part as well: Communication via the CC lines. Of course there are integrated ICs, but not many people will be able to solder these guys at home due to their very small pitch. That’s why I would suggest to use a ready-to-buy car USB-C charger and just connect it to the board via USB-C.

The design of my pcb is in prototype phase and preproduction.

Pcb contains arduino chip, usb hub, F9p on board, motorcontroller, ads, Inputs and usb by wago connectors .

Additionally relay board running with mcp port expander…

1 Like

ST STUSB4700 datasheet
Some background information with additional links here: https://www.alexwhittemore.com/tag/usb-pd/
Most likely China will set the standard here simply due to the fact, that 99% of all chargers ship from Asia. One candiate may be this one: IP2712 datasheet

1 Like

@Aortner Is your PCB goin to have 2 F9P for dual antenna? Will you be making the files available as open source? Sounds like you have a nice board.
Thanks Fritz

Sorry no dual heading on board.

I did outsource design and production of the pcb.