PWM valve questions

I was thinking about purchasing this valve to use with a jd 7810 for controlling an Ace 206 hydraulic pump.

Even though it’s labeled for dry rate control, is it still just a two wire pwm valve? Can I use this with a closed center, load sensing system? Or should I just get the pump with integrated valve?

JD 7810 has a LS system? Some older JD have Pressure Compensating CC (PC) I think.

From the marking on the casing (EX, CF, IN) it should be OK for LS and OC, not for PC.
It just divert the excess flow you plumb in the return line.
But I don’t how it would react at sudden stop maybe you should add a check valve in parallel with the motor.

Maybe someone could tell if it’s better for LSCC systems to have more flow but diverted (like this one) or less flow but pressure at relief (like a restrictor)

I wounder how it works, not much detail available.

But for curiosity, why is the flow control on the tractor not enough?
You want an automatic flow regulating system?
What do you want to read for the control? Pressure? Flow?
To use with AOG rate control? OEM? Your own?

I don’t this this is the valve that you want.

I think this valve splits IN flow between the CF (controlled flow) port and EX (Exhaust) port. That’s not what you want on a closed center tractor, your LS system will keep the IN pressure high, so your EX flow will heat.

1 Like

@WildBuckwheat is probably right. But all regulating systems on the implement will create wasted energy unless you use a power beyond.

It depends of the pressure the motor is operating and the amount of typical excess flow.
The wasted energy is the amount of excess multiplied by the pump pressure. So it depends of the whole circuit.
If and other function somewhere already demand high pressure then this is definitely not the right valve.

1 Like

Thanks for the response guys, I knew I had to be careful when selecting a valve.

I was looking to side dress UAN with @SK21 app for rate control.

I was looking for a separate valve so maybe I could control the motor on my cover crop rig as well.

The pump without the integrated valve is about $900 and the pump with PWM control is about $1800. It sounds to me like I should go with the integrated valve like the one below

https://www.agspray.com/pumps-and-meters/pumps/centrifugal-pumps/pid16158/ace-hydraulic-206-pump-w-pwm-silicon-carbide-seal/

That one will definitely work.

If you wanted to play around, there is a Row Trak option for your tractor. It’s an electric proportional valve that gets added to the valve stack. I believe it’s identical/very similar to the 3pt hitch valve, but dual acting. It’s meant to be used with finger sensors and sliding 3pt hitches, but you could obviously control the solenoid as you see fit.

Then you’d have an electric proportional valve that stays with the tractor, you could use it for rate control on all your implements, auto raise/lower, whatever else you dream up.

I don’t know if the flow rates match up or if it would actually work, I just saw it while paging through parts the other day, didn’t know it existed, and thought it’d be neat.