RTK with XLR Xbees

You might still not be getting RTK indoors. What’s the fix type in the nmea?

I’ll check that tomorrow. I was in the middle of the yard when I took that last photo.

So for NTRIP over wifi serial needs to be enabled.

So does anyone know the NTRIP settings for RTK with Xbees attached to the radios?

NTRIP is a transport protocol for sending RTCM messages over an IP network, usually it’s AgIO connecting to a NTRIP Caster via the internet, then relaying the RTCM messages via either Serial/USB or UDP. If you’re using XBee radios then you’re not using NTRIP, you’re sending the RTCM messages over RF.

Using NTRIP in AgIO with the AiO Teensy PCB means you want to “Send to GPS Using: UDP”. The Serial option is trying to send to a USB connected GPS receiver. The AiO Teensy is connected via UDP Ethernet.

I suggest using the F9P config files included with the boards download because they’re supposed to be matched for the firmwares also in that download.

I am trying this with the F9P plugged into the computer USB. Will that not work?

Yes, then AgIO needs to be connected via USB Com # accordingly, and NTRIP sent via Serial too. That NTRIP Serial settings assumes you’ve connected via the USB Com port

Ok I’ve been doing some more testing with corrections from Xbee to Xbee. If I connect to my NTRIP server immediately the signal changes to FLOAT (all good) then I disconnect from WIFI unplug base station I can continue with the corrections the on board Xbee is receiving from my second (Xbee on Ardusimple) base station. I can continue that way. I unplugged the Xbee base station and my “Age” starts counting up. I plug Xbee base back in and “Age” resets. If I shut down Agopen or unplug the rover I can’t reconnect to the Xbee base till I first connect to the NTRIP server and disconnect. Is this expected behaviour or am I missing some settings somewhere? Is it a bug? Is anyone using Xbee to Xbee corrections? What version of Agopen? Xbee config? F9P config?

This behavior is not expected but your combination of two base stations is also not normal. It would still be nice to have more info about your setup. It sounds to me like your two base stations are sending different RTCM msgs.

What are you using for NTRIP server & base station? Please send photos of your two base stations. Which F9P configurations are you using?

If you enable RXM - RTCM on the rover, does the list of received RTCM msgs look identical between NTRIP only and Xbee only?

Wow Matt sorry for the effort you are having to put into this. I didn’t think of it last time I should have bought your lunch.

So the xbee setup is easy to view the RTCM msgs in Ucenter. How how do I view the RTCM for the NTRIP setup because Agopen is receiving the corrections from the internet.

I changed to the default msgs on the base station and it still behaves the same I am thinking maybe the problem is that Agopen isn’t listening for that identifier message.
Please see this dialog…

I don’t think that is your problem. I have xbee Bluetooth on my f9p. I can’t see that should be so different from using another type of xbee.
My Bluetooth xbee run at 9600 so that is what uart2 is set to.
Must admit I just relay ntrip from phone via Bluetooth.
And off course the correct messages in on uart2
AOG doesn’t need to send any rtk messages out.

1 Like

HobbyFarmer,

Do you have 2 different types of base stations? Internet base and radio base? I have been using xlr xbee base and rover setup for 2 years. All I had to do was setup base station on farm with good line of sight with fields and power via usb cord. Then attach rover to laptop in the tractor with usb. Should have RTK in a few minutes after that. No need to mess with ntrip if you are using radios.

1 Like

You are probably right. I suppose you got your base and rover preconfigured.
Hobbyfarmer have to figure out, to set both base and rover to talk same language. And hobbyfarmer reset his base to std. messages. So his rover must be listening to whatever they are, else rover cant get anything.
And also set uart 1 and 2 to correct speed according to ino on teensy/xbee, as I think he is running panda.

No for this setup it is just the original Nano.

Have you looked here?
Maybe something you could use.

FINALLY!!! So all the time 1005 msgs were turned on but not sending. Are my findings correct that 1005 has to be received by AGOpen before it initializes corrections? I finally got 1005 to send by surveying in instead of entering my fixed location. I now have the radio link working. However I would like to use my PPP location (fixed) instead of survey in. Is this possible?

Make sure you type in with correct dot no komma!
Some language switch the keyboard type of dot

And off course the correct coordinate system.

AgOpen doesn’t process any of the correction data other then to display that list of MSG types, it just forwards the data to either the GPS Com port (Serial option) or the UDP. As I explained earlier, the F9P Receiver needs to get some of the messages at least once before it will get RTK fix, and other messages need to be sent continuously. 1005 happens to be in the first group.

This has been a total nightmare. In between all messages I had selected were sending. And I was getting a RTK fix. Then only 3 are. Very intermittent and frustrating! Suddenly I noticed that it also seemed to only finding sats intermittently also. Got a brain wave and started down the trail of interference. The GPS antenna and radio antenna are 10 ft apart. The base station radio and rover radio 50’ apart. I turned both radios down to minimum range and so far it has solved my problems.