RTKBase: a GUI for your own Gnss Base Station

Maybe an ethernet to rs 232 converter like this could work? Adaptateur de Port Ethernet RS232 femelle vers RJ45, 9 broches, carte de connecteur COM vers LAN | AliExpress

2 Likes

That Ethernet to rs232 converter looks to me like itā€™s only a connector converter, not an actually signal converter.

You are probably right, should perhaps be this one with wifi also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HLK-RM08K-Serial-Network-Wireless-Two-serial-Port-UART-WIFI-Module-MT7688K/263356231486?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D228427%26meid%3D1171b278ff4641ca92873d7711e02a08%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D281759112328%26itm%3D263356231486%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

That should work. I have one in stock, have not used it yet but it looks like a nice unit. I have their smaller dual serial port router unit in operation and itā€™s working flawlessly.

That with converter sounds like an idea I just ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202957138085
But there is a long wait, with goods from China.

A simple uart to rs232 like this one, connected to the raspi gpio could do the job.
rs-232-to-ttl-conveter-max3232idr

But I still need to add some software inside RTKBase.

I have them in stock.
It can then be a very nice solution which can replace my old Trimbel RSnet base station.

ill add my grain of salt here, after thinkering with rpi and the such I ended up setting up an old lenovo laptop i got for free as the lcd was failing, a script that runs rtklib and strsvr, and an old usb 3g modem (that kicks in if wifi fails) and a M8T board conected via usb (made a long cat6 cable) mounted on the roof of my house, it runs like a dream with a clean w7 install, the clear advantages to me where the wide software availability, the laptop even doubles as ups if power fails, its been up for a while now, the only problem i had is with rtk2go as it fails from time to time, i think is on theyre side as i pinged the site when i found the problem and I saw a few lost packets, the laptop is in a drawer and i control it via RDP

Iā€™m doing basically the same thing but using a F9P for rtcm and using Snip to forward to rtk2go. Like you im occasionally getting drop outs usually at the most inconvenient time.
For those using the raspberry pi setup are you guys experiencing this also? I have been gathering bits to go down the rpi route to see if it makes it more stable.

Iā€™m pretty much Shure is rtk2go thats unstable, maybe itā€™s servers canā€™t keep up when thereā€™s demand who knows

You could setup port forwarding and connect directly to your snip instead of going through rtk2go.

I was thinking of doing exactly that, I guess it should work with dynamic DNS as well?

I finally got my grain dryer monitoring running for this fall and Iā€™m running rpi with nginx reverse proxy and self-signed SSL certificates to at least pretend itā€™s secure :grin: So my plan was to put rtkbase to run on the same rpi and put the GPS antenna on top of my grain dryer, is there too much load already for rpi3? The node-red and nginx are taking very little resources at the moment.

I wouldnā€™t think it should create a lot of load for the pi. Iā€™d be interested in hearing more details about your node red dryer monitoring.

Just to point out that RTKBase supports direct RTCP output as well (instead or in addition with NTRIP output), so you can enable port forwarding on your box (+ DynDNS) to connect your rover directly. No need for Snip.

@Valentin how do you configure that on the rover side? As I understand itā€™s casting serial data to a TCP port, do I just have something like socat running at the receiving end and pushing it to UART1 on the rover?

Looks like a nice piece of software, managed to install it yesterday on an old Linux Mint laptop I had around, some problems with the systemd service version and pystemd module, but worked around by downgrading pystemd. Only thing I couldnā€™t get to work is to run the webserver as a service, I can manually start from command line and it works when running with sudo. If I run it as a service with root privileges I get some privilege errors, couldnā€™t figure it out yesterday.

@nut
I canā€™t really help you about your linux issues. I installed it on a Raspberry pi 3B and had no problem, so I didnā€™t give a close look at how it works.

For the rover configuration, you ask AOG to work only from TCP, and set the port to 5016. I think it should look like this :
AOG TCP

I was just asking for trouble with the linux install as I had already 2 different python versions installed etc etc. Just as a note if someone else is sturggling with somehting similar. Itā€™s cheaper to buy a rpi3 and flash the image than spend 100 hours on resolving linux issues, unless you take that as a hobby in itself :grinning:

Thanks, was over thinking it, thought itā€™s only NTRIP in AOG.

Sending rtcm stream to a radio module will be available in the next release.

top right: rtcm on tcp
bottom right: rtcm on radio link

4 Likes

total good news, you could have a fall back possibility or just for near fields !! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Do you have a config file for ZED-F9P?
Thanks