RTKBase: a GUI for your own Gnss Base Station

Could use a 3.3v serial to RS232 converter. Ideally it would be DTE (male pins), just like a normal computer serial port, or what you’d get with the USB converter. I’ve noticed these are kind of hard to find. It’s easier to find DCE versions, which has the female connector. That can work too, but you might need a gender changer and a null modem adapter to hook it to other serial devices. Also there are lots of 5v RS232 adapters, but not as many 3.3v ones.

So yeah it might be easier to use the USB serial adapter.

I’ve built the RASPI4 station as specified and am now trying to find its fixed position. I’ve downloaded the logfile a couple of times, convbin it to .obs, and submitted it to the Canadian CSRS-PPP service for processing. Sometimes it interprets the file as “static mode” and other times it interprets it as “kinematic mode”.

Does anyone have any idea of what I’m doing wrong? Is it safe to assume that RTKBase sends a configuration to the ZED-F9P prior to data recording or are we supposed to do that prior to launching RTKBase? Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Hi!
Yes, RTKBase sends a configuration to the F9P if it is connected/detected during the installation. If you see the sats levels on the status page, the configuration should be ok.

I sent a 24H rinex file to the canadian CSRS-PPP service (ubx to rinex conversion, with -tadj=1 option) and here is what I’ve received (first pdf page only):

Thx Stefal. I am getting a both types of documents back from the processed logs. The one you have shown and also this one I have attached. The difference appears to be in the “mode”. Static vs Kinematic.
Kinematic front page

There is something strange: the doc says “Single frequency”. Please check your ubx to rinex conversion parameters.

Will do. Thx for that suggestion.

Hi Stefal
I have a XLR simpleRTK2B-F9P V3 running radio corrections using xbee pro sx (ardusimple XLR starter Kit) but I have a few areas where the radio signal drops out.
Can RTKbase run along side the radio corrections?
Looking to use rtk2go for the few areas the radio doesn’t work (but cell does) and running radio corrections over the rest of the property as cell is limited.

Just to be clear he wants to use RTKBase to simply relay some RTCM messages picked up on serial to the NTRIP server. Kind of a subset of what RTKBase does.

I run Stefal’s RKTBase with one F9P. I guess the default input is ubx format but it probably reads RTCM too.

But why not use STRSVR or the BKG linux caster if it needs to run on Linux? SNIP would be simple to use if a Windows computer can be used.

Hi!
Using Rtkbase as a relay should work.
Connect a radio to usb/uart adapter, configure the Raspberry to enable uart and configure RTKBase to use it with the main input (RTCM). then enable Ntrip output to the caster you want.

Another way, use only RTKBase:

• Connect the F9P to RTKBase
  • Connect the Xbee to the Raspberry with uart and power
  • Configure the Raspberry to enable uart
  • enable Ntrip output and radio output

I don’t know your ardusimple wiring details, so perhaps there are other ways to connect the F9P and the radio module to the single board computer.

Your first suggestion sounds like a good fit for my situation as I don’t have internet connection at rtk base but radio does reach the office.

Thanks for your replies.

I will dive into it and hopefully come out with a working solution time permitting.

@Stefal and others, how do I control the minimum satellite elevation setting with RTKBase?

I’m using UBX format from the F9P and it looks like the CFG-NAVSPG-INFIL_MINELEV parameter for F9P is not effective. I could neither find any elevation setting for the STRSVR. RTKLIB does have a parameter but seems it is only for RTKNAVI and RTKPOST?

I’d prefer to filter satellites below 10 degrees (or a bit less) because rovers typically anyway ignore satellites below 10 degrees elevation.

Your goal is to reduce the needed bandwidth?

I don’t think it’s possible with str2str/strsvr only.
It’s usually in device/software which compute the position that you choose these settings, ie: the rover, not the base.

Me too concluded that I cannot set the elevation limit within STRSVR.

Yes, I’d like to remove content for satellites that I know are not used by rovers anyway. My rovers are set to 10 degree minimum elevation and the same or at most a bit less would make sense at the base. I can do this on my Novatel base, no problem at all. Perhaps F9P applies the MINELEV parameter only for position calculation (rover mode), I guess better to ask confirmation from u-blox.

Hi Stefal,

I am tryingto setup the base. I have a Skytraq base PX1122R with an Beitan BT-200 antenna. The Skytraq has an output of rtcm 3 message. On the Raspbery PI 3 I have a USB profilic ttl 2303 chip.
When I connect the usb in the windows computer I get the messages. But in the Raspberry I am not able.
I tried diffrent port ttyS tty AMC ttyUSB but get no signal.
What do I wrong?

Thanks!!!

afbeelding

afbeelding

What is your problem? You don’t see the satellites levels on the status page? If yes, I think I know why…the configuration used for this part is hardcoded with ublox signal as input type. I should write some code to manage this. You can edit manually rtkbase_ppp-static_default.conf inside rtkbase/web_app/rtklib_configs/. You should try to change the value ubx to rtcm3 on line 133, and keep using port 5015 for the Main service.

But, the output services like “Ntrip service” should work.

By the way, did you try to configure the PX1122R to output only raw messages? I’m curious to know if RTKLib works with this receiver. I know it works with the old NS-HP, but it seems RTKLib doesn’t understand the new messages from the PX1122R.

edit : I just added an issue: Hardcoded ubx input and tcp port input inside rtkbase_ppp-static_default.conf · Issue #148 · Stefal/rtkbase · GitHub

2 Likes

We were setting up F9P as a base here also and came to the same conclusion - U-Center minelev seems not to limit the number of satellites for base station usage. After some thinking we simply put a suitably cut piece of plastic pipe around the base antenna to physically block view to the lowest lying satellites!

Why do you want to block the low satellites?

@Jack
I just tested to edit rtkbase_ppp-static_default.conf as explained yesterday, and I see the satellites levels with a RTCM3 input in the Main service.

Some older receivers only accept correction from max 12 satellites. Also as someone earlier wanted to reduce bandwidth, when 12 reliable satellites is already plenty accurate enough.