Sprayer section control

I was thinking of making section control for spayer. Now I have 16 relay module and nano with ethernet and terminal block shields.

I was thinking of doing module between spayer control box and spayer. Section control module would have male and female sockets so nothing would need to be done outside of this and I could plug it between spayer and spayer controller. When all section are ON from spayer coltroller AOG would control sections by cutting each +12v that opens and closes valve. Maybe there could be one swich on top of this module what could power all relays(with diods) or set relays NC and cut 5v from nano and relay board, so I would be able to use spayer manually without AOG. Spayer has Arag valves and controller which has switches for 5 valves, pressure adjustment and all valves ON/OFF swich. I think each valve are controlled with one of the three wires what does into it, I will check this.

Is there easier and smarter way to do this? What is good for 12v → 5v? I don’t think that nano and few relays takes that much current.

I ordered this a year ago. I can not find specs from this relay module enywhere but maybe some of you know If I can connect 12v from tractor to DC+ and DC- and power up nano from 5v PIN?

Edit: It has LM2596S -5.0 so I am more convinced that I could go It!

I tested the valves on spayer. They are not solenoid valves, but they open and close with cutting and connecting 12v to green wire.

I didn’t find option in aog program that section relays would be NC. Is it there somewhere or does it have to be changet in Machine_UDP_v5.ino?

Hello. Do you use motorized valves like this?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 155334

I have used similar relay cards (4 relays each) for my sprayer. After some time I replaced the proportional valve (pressure control) with PWM – H-Bridge amplifier ( L298N ). And it is working perfect. Selecting different PWM rates → result in an adjustable voltage to the motorized valve → results in adjustable moving speed for fine tuning the valve position (yellow one)!

One of H Bridge can handle 2 valves in both direction (equal to 4 relays), but much more sensitive if needed.
In the last 5 years, about 2 relays broke, and I had to replace each time the whole module. You can use smaller modules.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 154913

Now I am replacing all relays with H Bridges to avoid further problems.

Be aware to select at least a minimum PWM for a minimum Voltage to stable turn the Motorized valve. Too less voltage just produce heat in the motor without movement and can harm the devices.

2 Likes

Yes it has motorized valves. We don’t spray that much a year so section control with relays is a good start for us. Tractor we usually use for spaying is valtra direct. Although it is not “real CVT” I set engine rpm to match 540 in pto, set pressure from spayers controller and use cruise for speed. Often we use 100 litres per hectare so this accuracy is well enough for us.

This board has 16 relays and only be using 5 of those . If one relay breaks couldn´t I just change the cabling for an other relay

Of corse, that why its always better to take more relay boards price difference is negligible to 8 relays. You have space to upgrade or have contingency if one of relays fail. For motorized valve you use 2 relays per valve. One open other reverse to close. So you should have 6 left.

It is this type of valve so only 5 relays needed

I drawn a Nano + ethernet shield for this:

1 Like

How should I power up nano? On Arduino website is says that from VIN IT should be 7-12V and that 5V is not recommended.

Playing with simulator I think I can use USB but how in real life?

(Ethernet shields is in wrong way)

You can use USB because it feed nano with 5 v directly (does not have to go trough the voltage regulator)
There’s a 5V pin (no more no less) 3 pins beside the Vin

Yes I ment that 5V pin. This relay module has LM2596S 5.0 so would be okay for powerin 5V PIN in nano?

I have some problems with my usb to lan convert so I did not manage to make it work in laptop. But it works nicely with FZ-G1(it has lan) when I power nano from usb!!! Feels like victory already!!!

Yes wrong way. You must be able to use both usb and eth at same time :grinning:

Hi ,
From Australia. Rate controller 15, wanting to know the orientation of IC3 on the board? Does everything else look good?

Pin 1 is marked on the PCB. It is in the top left of IC3. It’s hard to tell from the picture if the other IC’s are lined up with their pin 1.

Hello,
I’m interested in building sprayer controller with agopengps tablet.
Few questions to this:

1. Is RC15 board enough to connect Arag valves and flowmeter to handle all sprayer work? Or do I still need some controller for sprayer?
  2. Is RC15 compatible with ARAG section valves, proportional valve and main valve, arag “wolf” flow meter, arag pressure sensor?

3. If I try to order RC15 on JLCPCB I get error with parts offset like on the screen, How to handle it?

After pressing autoallign I get

Is that ok, or I missed something during the setup of pcb project?
  4. Is RC15 enough to handle section and rate control of my sprayer?
    Thanks in advance
    BR
    YacentY

@SK21 can You clarify those topics a little bit?

RC15 will work with valves that require 12V to open and close. It will work with 5V or 12V flow meters. It will work with 5V or 12V pressure sensors.

You may have to manually align the pcb parts. JLCPCB will also check it.

thx, I will try to order

How to start with RC15?
I see there is such repository: AOG_RC/Modules/ESP32 Rate at master · SK21/AOG_RC · GitHub
There is also: Rate_Control/ESP32/RC15 at main · AgHardware/Rate_Control · GitHub
Where there is instruction:
Rate_Control/ESP32/RC15/RC15 installation.txt at main · AgHardware/Rate_Control · GitHub

1. upload RC_ESP32 firmware with a usb cable. Subsequent updates can be uploaded over wifi. In a browser enter “192.168.100.1/update” to get to the update page.
    What is the firmare? the file from first repositry?
    Are there any recommnede values for Arag devices (valve, flowmeter, pressure sensor)?
    What should I set up in the system? against this section

The first repo is the software. The second is the hardware. The first has the hex files to upload. There is no connection to the machine page, setup is done on the rate app. I don’t know of any recommended values for Arag devices. Maybe there is someone that is using it that would know.

The first step is to upload the hex file using a usb cable. PCBsetup GitHub - SK21/PCBsetup: Setup software for AgOpengGPs rate control and steering modules. can upload the file. Next run the rate app and go to module config. From here you can set the subnet and upload it to the module. Next in module config select the RC15 pcb and upload the default settings. The next steps are the product settings, section width and number, and relay settings.

Great, thanks for clarification