Steering Setup Issues

What is the measurements if you turn rod 180 degree?
Or actually test all 360 degree.

The opposite side gives exactcly the same values. Both are symmetrical. I don’t know what to do:
Maybe get a more expensive Honeywell sensor?
Any ideas?

Is it correctly connected, check if its 5v in.

1 Like

I fought a problem with a potentiometer recently being intermittent. Try plugging in a regular pot to your nano. My problem was the nano was bad. I also had a bad ads1115 when i first built my system. Something to try for troubleshooting.

1 Like

You should not get gaps in signal output. And you say both your sensors do the same?
EDIT: Do you use this pinout: Steering angle sensors - #5 by doppelgrau

Else try BMW (Audi): bmw headlight sensor - Google Zoeken
PINout: Headlight Level Sensor-BenchTesting it | BimmerFest BMW Forum

Thanks everyone for the help. We’re going to finish wheat sowing then try to get it figured out. One thing we have realized is the WAS seems to slowly drift to the right when sitting still. Parked at 0.0° , 20 seconds later was at 0.1°, and continued up to 1.0°, at which point I left. We also get it steering fairly well on one pass and then it’s totally unworkable the next pass. Could the drifting be caused by a bad connection? There’s a Deutsch connector, a soldered splice, and another plug between the PCB and the WAS. Could it be a bad ADC cause drifting?

1 Like

It could be a poor joint causing a voltage drop to either/both the was signal and was power wire.

Poor joints will do weird things, especially if you get a bit of moisture in them.

Parked- meaning engine off?
Are you then sure 12 V is still applied to your PCB?

I don’t know if the engine was on or off, I wasn’t the one testing it right then. The system has 12 volts all the time until we pull the fuse by the battery.

Clarification:the engine was running

Check there’s 5V getting to the WAS, then with a multimeter test the output of the signal wire, this will eliminate whether its the WAS or PCB etc.

I’ve read reports of cheap RQH100030 being faulty so good chance its a faulty WAS.

This is what I think. My RQH100030 gives cero Volt when wheels are straigth. Exactcly between 80-100 degrees. And I have tried already two sensors.

This is what I mean

I have two of those sensors, one has been in use for a long time and I just tried the other one and it too works fine. The behaviour you observed is really odd, wonder if that can happen if incorrectly wired. Larsvest asked about your connection scheme earlier but I cannot find you confirming it (in detail!).

Esto es como lee tu sensor máximo 90 grados, es un efecto HALL

Encontré esta imagen de conexión, podrías decir como lo tienes conectado, ya que parece que tiene doble salida y a lo mejor esta mal conectado, otro problema es que no parece segura esa conexión compra un conector pq si tienes un pin flojo va a variar el voltaje.
90° Max

I found this connection image, could you tell how you have it connected, since it seems to have a double output and maybe it is poorly connected, another problem is that this connection does not seem safe, buy a connector because if you have a loose pin, the voltage will vary

2 Likes

Mine is actually the Delphi. They only have 3 pins. I did a bunch of testing with a multimeter. The supply voltage is really stable at 5.00 or 5.01, so i don’t think it’s that. The signal goes from .66 in one direction to 4.66 the other way. At zero degrees it is steady at 2.73. I realize that is slightly off center (should be .5 - 4.5), but surely not too much to center? Also 2.73 is not halfway between .66 and 4.66. I have changed so many settings that my Ackerman may have gotten thrown off. I did notice that somewhere between 3.75 and 4.25 the multimeter would blink 0, so it seemed like there must be a bad spot in my WAS.

I also want to swap the ADC from my combine because i know that system worked.

I’m starting to think the slow change in degrees while parked may be from a very slow leak in my steering valve under the steering wheel. If i turn the tractor off, but leave AOG tied to the battery, it stays totally steady. When i start the tractor, the very slow creep begins.

1 Like

Don’t have a picture
Look Ahead 4
Gain 1
SH 0
Integral 1

Once it finds the line it steers fairly well on a flat field, but crosses the line several times to get there. This was testing at 3.5 mph. I don’t think it’s WAS or ADC. Driving 25 mph on the road WAS stayed very close to 0.

If I turn look ahead up farther then it takes so long to refind the line after going over a terrace. Really I’d like the look ahead under 3

@PotatoFarmer somewhere talked about setting look ahead. He said start low and increase until it smoothes out and restarts zigzagging. Then find the “sweet spot”. This tractor never hits the top zigzag.

Have you already tried with 2 or 2.5 look ahead?

Yes the tractor will zig zag badly if look ahead is too high or too low. The sweet spot is in the middle of the two extremes I use 2.5

If motor low setting is too high it will overcorrect too, zig zagging.

If the bno updating freezes it will zig zag with panda.

Keep derivative at zero until you are happy with tuning