Troubleshooting steer motor not moving

Will have another try at the weekend

Having trouble getting my steer motor to fire up in autosteer. Using pin 5 and 6 to the steer motor
Pressing the ma and mb buttons spin the motor.
Using the standard aio v2.4 pcb, all the leds lights are green, switch wired up to pin 8 which turns autosteer on and off, little tractor pointer goes green when switch is pressed.
Been through setup up steer wizzard but no difference .
Its a phidgets 24v motor running through the step up converter.
Have tried with both the current sensor on and off and at different levels.
Have checked all the header pins and re soldierd 1 on the back of the cytron but making no progress.
Any ideas what to check/ test next
Thanks

Sounds like the cytron’s not being enabled which would likely be something to do the the ADC not working or the WAS downstream from it. When you move the WAS are you getting changing angles (either in steer menu or AGIO)? If not then I reckon that’s your problem. If you get a voltage on A0 on the ADS1115 that changes with the WAS then it’s probably the ADS.

I had a board where I added an ADS115 module I already had. You need another 1K resistor regardless of the SMT resistors to get it to work, and I missed soldering the A0 pin (which is the important one!) and it took me a while to figure out. I also accidentally pressed the Danfoss button once, which had it stuck trying to steer the one direction.

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
I added the ads1115 board myself and added the 1k resistor and the was is working perfectly.
Im getting some voltage at the cytron on the dir pin 3.2v when turning left but 0v on pin dir when turning right.
No voltage at all on the pwm pins.
Whats the adc?
All my lights are green in agio and on the pcb

Analog to Digital Converter (what the ADS115 does). Sounds like that’s ok and the dir pin is toggling. I saw your pictures on the other topic and they rule out a couple of other possibilities.

It seems like something is preventing the cytron from being enabled. What you should be seeing is the MA & MB lights on the board light up depending on which way you turn the WAS. I put an led on the lock pin to help debug what was going on with that. I’d take away the motor and switch until you can get jt going. I know it can be frustrating. I spent hours probing about until I discovered I’d inadvertently selected the Danfoss option.

On reflection, wondering if you need a jumper wire to rectify a glitch as described here. The early boards need this and I have done it on my boards and it might explain it? I was under the impression it was rectified for the current iteration.

Ive just read that thankyou. It is very frustrating as i think im nearly there with it at last.
My board is the early v2.4 not the latest one that is in the Google drive files.
Think my board needs some traces cut aswell as modifying the cytron for the free wheel mod which is why I’ll be using the relay option

If you dont have pwm but , as you said dir is actually working.
So are you driving above min speed, or have manual steer in steer settings window activated.
There are no pwm if one of those two are not OK
At least one of them must be ok

Last night I put a V2.4 board I have on the bench and might have have replicated the issue? Sat the antenna outside the window with a test loom and a led on the lock pin. Fired up as per normal except tractor stationary due to fixed antennna. Went to steer menu and pressed the tractor to force steer and got no cytron direction leds and no signal on lock. Tractor would go green and make the right noise otherwise. Took off sensors and switches from the steer menu to no avail.

I got called to dinner, during which I though might be still be switch related, so went back and turned the steer wheel to manual under the vehicle configuration steer options menu, and took off the steer switch related section control in the work switch section of attachment. Back steer setting window, press the tractor and it works like it should with the lock pin lighting the led and the MA/MB lights working based on steer error as they should.

Proudly believing I’d solved it, I went back to see which of my changes made the difference, but it continued to work just fine no matter what combination I chose. Therefore it could have mysteriously sorted itself out during the half hour or so it was running unattended on the bench.

A such my advice for those viewing this thread who are testing on the bench is as follows:

1. You need to activate the steering manually via the steer settings.

2. This should activate PWM2 which enables the cyton and lock pin. If the MA/MB led lights shine and change based on the steering error left/right then you’re good to go

3. If that doesn’t work - go and have a cup of tea and see if it fixes itself.

4. If not, then ensure that in the expanded steer settings, Steer Enable is set to none, and Danfoss, Turn Sensor, Pressure Sensor and Current sensor are deselected. Disconnect switches and motors/valves. Set steering to manual and turn off steer switch related section control. Try again.

5. If it still isn’t working then you need to be probing the Dir 1 pin to observe toggling of direction based on steer error, and PWM2 which is enabling the cytron. These trace back to pins 3 &4 on the Teensy.

My unverified assumption as to what’s happening is the Windows program is proving “sticky” on whater enable steer command it’s sending the Teensy, i.e. the value associated with displayed buttons not necessarily getting sent through to the steer board and a toggle of a setting seems to sort it out. I’ve noticed that before on the imu direction. I sent the configuration as x-axis but it behaved like it was y-axis. It wasn’t until I toggled to y then back to x did it properly send it through to the teensy. In other words, even if a setting is correct, try changing it then changing it back to see if that fixes it.

1 Like

Thankyou very much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply and for trying to replicate my same problem.
Do i still need to add that extra jumper wire under the cytron as you mentioned in your previous post above? My board is the earlier v2.4 that was in the 5.7.2 release not the later one found in the Google drive files.
It sounds like my software could be ‘sticky’ as you mentioned, everything else seems to work and all the led lights are the right colour.
I will definitely try this in the next few days and will report back.
Thanks again

Well, the board I tested had the wire, so I’d do it. I went and did all 5 boards at the time so I wouldn’t forget in the future (still have a couple left over waiting for friends to go from Panda to Autosteer)

I think it only happen at first start of AOG, so try from bottom (no power and no AOG) one more time and check again.
I believe I had a similar issue some months ago when I did office test of my panda system with 5.71 / 5.72
Nothing happens until I hit steer button at least one time, even when in manual.

Ok so ive had chance to do a bit more but still cant get no output on the ma mb unless i press the buttons.
Standard aio pcb v5 ecu 2.4
I downloaded the ino you suggested autosteer
_gps_teensy_v5_1_xbee.zip.
Flashed the teensy twice for good measure and no error codes. Was plugged into the pcb at the time.
I didn’t add the jumper wire as suggested as the trace is already there.
Been through setup wizzard.
All turn sensor current sensor pressure sensor is OFF
Steer switch set to 'NONE ’
Tractor settings steer switch control on red/manual
Machine control everything in manual. (Have also tried with ‘switch’ enabled and everything turned on)
Agio is showing everything green and connected
Pcb ethernet connected
Press PWM on steer setup, steer module light goes green on pcb, left turn red error cytron tests DIR 3.2v 0v on other pins
Right turn green error 0v on everything
Tested pins 3 and 4 on teensy as suggested (but cant find the proper pinout for this) pin 3 test 3.3v pin 4 1.84v
So im still at a dead end.
I have got the plug that goes into the end of the cytron if it can be used to rule anything out?
Any more help/ideas would be amazing

Do you have current sensor enabled? Is the threshold set at 0? I see you say it is off.

The reason I ask is this was keeping my motor from working previously.

It does not appear that is the case as you have a green steering wheel and green tractor compass.

Everything is turned off.
Everything is light up as it should be. Just cannot get any signal to the cytron.

sounds like you have been looking at the .ino files.

Can you check the following in the autosteer.ino file.

//   ***********  Motor drive connections  **************888
//Connect ground only for cytron, Connect Ground and +5v for IBT2

//Dir1 for Cytron Dir, Both L and R enable for IBT2
#define DIR1_RL_ENABLE  4

//PWM1 for Cytron PWM, Left PWM for IBT2
#define PWM1_LPWM  2

//Not Connected for Cytron, Right PWM for IBT2
#define PWM2_RPWM  3

and make sure the pin numbers shown in the .ino match those actually connected between the cytron and teensy/nano. This should make sure the digital matches the physical.

I assume you have green Tractor to the left of your picture, like my prt scr here:

Dont mind the purple in mine at right it´s because i have no pcb connected.
There will ONLY be a PWM value higher than Zero if you have activated autosteer, so I repeat myself from post above CLICK one time at steer button! Just TRY!

This is my ino?
Using the 3 pins at the rear of the cytron. PWM2 through hole is empty

Picture of that

Here are 2 pictures. 1 showing pwm in the green error and showing red error.
Green tractor on. Autosteer on. Green light on pcb
No lights on the ma or mb when i go from left to right