TSIP, Arduino, Data Conversion and the F9P

Its Trimble so I would start with 115200 8 Odd 1. Next 38400 8 None 1.
If its not those two its guess and check time, hopefully you terminal program has a quick way to switch.
When the Trimbles are waiting for command data they will throw a 00, 00, 00, 00 over and over.
If your 150 displays “TSIP BACKDOOR” or outputs in serial monitor “TSIP BACKDOOR” you are on the wrong setting, that is the firmware upload setting.

Pretty sure if you go into the rdi interface of the receiver (I can do this on my pro 700), you can see the setting on port a. It defaults to tsip on power up even if you change it. I think the default speed is 38400.

Well I have to end this thread, I am now under a Non Disclosure Agreement.

Its an exciting time to be a farmer.

With Trimble?

But I just figured out how to read a little bit of the output. Since it is an exciting time I take that to be good news.

Any time an NDA comes up it’s certainly not good news. This kind of stuff needs to be out in the open where everyone can learn and benefit. As a prime example, take AOG. If Brian was hobbled by NDAs, AOG wouldn’t go anywhere. I was excited about his progress, but now I’m considerably less so. Certainly I don’t expect to learn anything further about his work, thanks to the NDA.

If @PotatoFarmer develops and markets a low-cost device to replace a Trimble receiver with an F9P, even if it’s proprietary itself, I might be interested. Low cost as in under $500, not including the cost of setting up the F9P.

But I still want to develop my own solution that’s completely open, based only on available knowledge and simple reverse-engineering. Looks like next winter I’ll act according to my original plan, starting at first principles (my own data analysis).

1 Like

I am not familiar with a NDA, if someone like Trimble doesn’t like what you are doing they just send you a notice telling you to stop? Is it because he is looking into their data stream? He is not copying their design so it shouldn’t be a patent thing.

Does not involve any of the big companies pressuring me in any way.

Does involve the the latest version of my code.
So that is were any technical details must stop.

But I am excited, this should be a fun endeavour.

An NDA is a non-disclosure agreement signed with a company to gain access to their information, IP, etc. Or an NDA could be as simple as an agreement to not talk about the specifics of a joint project, for example with Agri-GPS.

@PotatoFarmer, you didn’t answer the question, though. With whom specifically is the NDA signed? If it’s not Trimble, then I assume it’s Agri-GPS. If so, that does make some sense. And I can understand your excitement. Good luck.

@torriem you are extremely smart it is with Agri-Gps.

1 Like

You did give a rather large hint by saying in another post that you had been in touch with the owner of Agri-GPS.

Will there be shortage of potatoes if you move to Agri-Gps. Perhaps can hire several people to work on the farm.

The NDA concerns Trimble and/or Agri-Gps stuff only, Fendt and other brands still handled during evenings and week-ends and reported here?

No potato shortage, potatoes are very regulated in Canada. My user name is more a tongue in cheek joke. I really wish I was, and could live off the proceeds of growing potatoes. You can only produce and sell up to $10k of potatoes, unless you have quota to do so. The potato mafia has that all wrapped up.

But I do have the one true love of the potato crop, and put in enough hills that myself and extended family only eat the best selection of quality potatoes. There is no plant finer in history and more deserving of attention and accolades than the Potato.

I think grain farming is the last free market food commodity. That is where I spend most of my hours in cab.

I really still am very excited about Ag open GPS, and getting back to building it if digi key gets there back orders straightened out.

But Ag electronics seem to be following the internet tech paywall schemes to a tee, so I have a feeling I know what is coming next in the battle to fix our Tractors.

2 Likes

Well do not trade in your old gear, its done pending field testing!

Interoperability Repaired!

9 Likes

Will it be maybe possible for others to try out the code transformation also. After all this is an AgOpenGPS forum…
I did get an used EZ-Guide Plus / 150 with broken internal receiver. Now just waiting for the UART to RS232 to arrive to get testing that. Did I understand right that some of the NMEA talker codes on GGA & VTG might have to be changed? There are some settings for those in U-Center So can one maybe get it working with EZ-Steer without a micro controller (Arduino) between the the F9P & the lightbar?

The 250/500 navII project is going into another project.

But for the150 you are in luck, it can steer off only nmea! I did get it to work on TSIP, and also coded a NMEA filter/talker code changer when I started using emlid with it. But if you have the F9P Its really easy to use with the 150. 150 is the only trimble that steers off NMEA.

The only advantage to TSIP on the 150, is it magically can use 115200 baud, instead of the max 38400 for NMEA connection. The faster you can get it in the faster you can process it.

Configure your F9P to output gga and vtg at 5hz, there is also a setting to change the GN to GP. Only caution is make a special db9 cable that only connects to the 232 ground and the 150rx pins. There is a couple pins in the 150 that are really hot and will burn up your max232 to ttl adaptor.

Your internal receiver may just be turned off in settings check to see if it has just been disabled. Also under the cap the ribbon cable may have slipped out.

The change in handling from L1 only, to the multi band rtk is very impressive.

Both 150’s I use did not work at first. I had to reload the firmware, then they took off.

i am trying to stream nmea from fmx1000 port via max3232 converter. Half of the message does not reach me. What could be the reason? in transmission settings 115200, 0, parity noneScreenshot_20210315-232404_Viber

Looks like you only have gga enabled at 5hz.
You have to enable each sentence separately.
Vtg will have its own checkbox.

Your terminal is also putting the gga at the end of the sentence which is strange but not a concern at the moment. Also the special characters are * misrepresented with this terminal.

It looks like you are reading fine if vtg would be enabled in the fmx.

the problem is that the whole message does not reach.
I tried to send to the terminal under windows, now I have some kind of garbage at the end of each line, in the form of incomprehensible charactersScreenshot_20210315-235259_Viber

TNX for valuable information.
A question: Did You have time to find any difference in steering quality between using NMEA or TSIP with Your lawn mower or neighbors’s Versatile?