TSIP, Arduino, Data Conversion and the F9P

@KolDon The garbage at the end of the line is “CR LF”, that is meant to be there it stands for carriage return / line feed. Its telling your terminal to split the incoming message and write the next data on a new line. This terminal you are using works very well.

What you need to find in the fmx 1000 is described on page 6-9 of the manual;fmx1000nmea

@esuomala I will be solving NMEA at 38400 vs 115200 question very shortly. Winter has lifted and I am rewiring the steering back to the tractor. But my guess is no it will only speed things up by a few microseconds. Math says faster is better, but the performance gain is probably imperceptible. The TSIP messages are also larger so its a toss up.

F9P RTK vs L1 on the other hand… oh boy you are in for a treat. The 150 Drives really well with quality GNSS information coming in. Once you get the steering tuning perfected for the equipment your running, the actual machine position accuracy is very good.

Have you been working with the 500 or 750 Trimbles to get corrections into them using an F9P?
Have you done any work with getting external corrections into Outback models? There are alot of Outback units around our area

@Mdmcurt 500 is just a 250 with a big screen. I am not getting corrections into them, I am completely replacing the external receiver capability with F9P. The F9P is a performer I love this chip.

If I could get a 750 for cheap, I would have to find a way to remove the internal GPS board and replace with f9p. The 750 does not accept an external receiver according to literature.

@torriem has a genius 1008 inject program that makes f9p corrections work with unlocked Trimbles.

I am trying to skip unlocks all together. They suck.

I am into solving them all, but Topcon is next after Trimble. Hemisphere (outback) I will look into eventually, but I am limited to the equipment I can borrow in my area, even the Hutterites lent me a 252! I still have to work my day job, so I am solving these on evenings and weekends.

But I want to make sure everyone knows, as fun as legacy conversion is, AOG imho is the one way forward. Having your commercial GPS unit beaming your crop data back to HQ is not good news. They milk the farmers to buy the the GPS and then resell $$$ your data to the corporations setting the prices for your commodities and equipment.

1 Like

I have built a base using an F9P and inject the 1008, and it works with my Trimbles that are unlocked. The issue is when you don’t have a Trimble unlocked it gets really expensive to unlock. Then you try to use an F9P to give gps to your Trimble or Case and it won’t work because of Tsip.

Exactly, and thats what I am working on. The converter in the video makes the data output TSIP compatible, also handles the initial log in sequence to start receiving data.

Works at both 5 and 10hz.

RTK data conversion can be moved from one 250 to the next with no unlock required.

Would a data conversion unit like that work with receivers like a 372 as well then?

Or should I say with a F9P to replace a 372

Exactly it would replace the 372/252/132.

But guidance like the 750 has no external receiver support for the 372, according to its manual.

If you need anything like a receiver to test or want a field tester I have a couple machines that I run 372’s on and a couple more that require 372’s but I would be happy to use F9Ps on

That would be cool if you are close, for the outback hemisphere stuff. But with my luck your in Wisconsin, lol.

I work for two farmers on my vacation time, I have a pro700/nav2 to test on a combine.

The Pro 700/Nav combo is what we run in machines so a f9p replacement for Rtk unlocks would be great. Lots of trimble 750 around asking about a cheaper way to get Rtk as well. In my area near Trochu/Drumheller Alberta there are lots of Outback units operating

I am up near Vegreville, AB.

The 750’s are nice but the only solution right now would be very hardware invasive, and possibly break it. Sooner or later i will get my hands on a used one.

How close are you to replacing the 372 with a F9p?

For 250/500 its done, testing it on tractor to make sure there is no bugs.

For Nav2/Pro 700, currently still programming, I am hoping to be combining with it this fall.

2 Likes

for the 750, would putting corrections into the monitor in using external corrections, eg, using a 372 as an antenna putting corrections into the 750. finnally got my unlocked 372 to receive rtk corrections via back 40 gps adapter don-gal, using nitrip client of a Samsung phone. running a f9p/ pi rtk base station. huge thanks to everyone that wrote the software and posted in all the forums.

would be interested in seeing what potato farmer has setup for building a signal to provide tsip. and what hardware to buy to get setup for testing

The the 750 does not have support for an external receiver, according to documentation.
If i can ever afford a 750, i will rip it open and see if a hardware swap is possible.

But it looks like digikey finally is going to send me the rest of the order to get my AOG finished up.

But until then I have a date with a topcon in a massey combine. Fingers crossed that the data is in ASCII :crossed_fingers:t2:

Teensy4.0 and Due Canbus shields came in from Copperhill Tech, so going to have some fun with my newly acquired C++ abilities.

do you think something like a simulated gps signal made up with rtk corrections converted back to a rf signal would work to get rtk into a fm-750

Thats possible, but beyond crazy complicated.
I read an article about spoofing satellite signals, there intended use was getting container ships lost in the middle of the ocean. Spoofing would be a monumental amount of work to make it useful for accurate guidance.

Also F9P has a setting to detect spoofing, so does Trimble.

The best way would be to open up the 750, find the position data lines between guidance
and internal receiver, figure out what data it requires and fully replace the stock receiver.

1 Like

Disassembled CFX-750 for you, photo of TRBH-69999-00-D board.
The GNSS receiver is integrated into a multi-layer board, so it will be difficult to find a bus with NMEA stream between the processor and the receiver:

https://i.postimg.cc/SjzzffxV/IMG-20210601-115713.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/21TqSH0j/IMG-20210601-120037.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/qNph0fXZ/IMG-20210601-120059.jpg

Thank you very much for the photos. After seeing this the CFX750 is just not worth converting. It is much less effort to build a AOG system or find another system.