Ublox F9P - Config for rover

If the correction signal only supports three GNSS , has it then a benefit to use all set GNSS of the aortner config file? I would prefer to use only this three GNSS and set the f9p to 10 Hz. Is this okay?

If your base is only sending out corrections for GPS, Glonass and Galileo, I think it’s best to set your f9p rover also to 3 sat systems.

1 Like

With the above config file would an RTK fix be obtained? I’m using a Sparkfun branded GPS-RTK2 which uses the U-Blox f9p. I’ve followed the procedures listed at the beginning of the post. Should the RTK light go out? On my device that would indicate an RTK fix is obtained.

Please disregard this post, after about 4 minutes an RTK fix was obtained.

The “ortner” configuration file should certainly work. Do you have the rover antenna out with a good sky view and are you feeding your receiver with a valid RTK correction signal?

Sorry if this pretty basic stuff, just starting out here, I have an Ardusimple board.
So I clicked in firmware image and it brought up the file UBX-f9- etc, then i pressed go in bottom corner

Where am i going wrong?

Check this message

Thanks for the help!
Think I have it sorted now

For anyone stuck on how to save the Config settings… you have to click view, and bring up the configuration view…
That bit had me stumped for a bit!

Sorry but that confuses me. By saving settings, do you mean save to the F9P or save F9P settings to a backup file? Which “view, Config settings” menu did you mean? Or was it “message view, UBX, CFG”?

In any case, sounds like you are saying the instructions SjaakA referred to did not work, did you mean that? Saving settings to the F9P as well as reading from F9P and saving to a file should work as explained in the link (from tools menu, to and from GNSS, you just have to pick up the receiver mode that corresponds the settings file and preferably set measurement rate to 1 Hz).

Ok now I am guessing i may have something wrong!
What SjaakA sent definitely helped me, i got the firmware updated! Thanks for that.

What i meant was to find this screen

You have to click view (as in file.edit.VIEW.player) and select ‘configuration view ctrl + F9’

Northernfarmer where do you set measurment rate to 1hz?
As you can probably tell im new to all this stuff, I am finding it very enjoyable building everything, and learning new skills… glad there are people like yourselves though ready to help us newbies!

Thanks for that clarification. Note that many of us are new with these topics, with FP9 I’m certainly one. You may well master F9P better than myself.

I guess there is some confusion because configuration files may be different. One way or the other we have to make sure the settings are stored to the flash when a good configuration has been obtained.

The measurement rate needs to end up to 8 Hz or 10 Hz but someone here suggested to set it first at 1 Hz before loading a new configuration. I think this frees the serial interface capacity and the uploading succeeds better. The measurement rate can be adjusted from view, receiver gen9 advanced configuration, cfg-rate menu.

Thanks I’ll have a play around tomorrow to see if I can change the measurement rate, I think when I open AOG the rate that shows at the top of the screen is about 8hz, (I’m on my mac at the moment so cant check)

Maybe slightly off topic here, but I have tried to connect to a base station that is about 25miles from me on rtkgo.com, through ntrip (are all the mounts on rtkgo.com free to use corrections from?), I think i have connected as the light is NOT on for ‘no rtk’ on the Ardusimple board. Not tried this in a tractor yet, so not sure on the accuracy, is there anyway to check in the software?

Both AOG and u-center indicate the RTK fix status. On u-center just turn on the data window, seems to be off in the figure above.

1 Like

I have gotten a Sparks fun ZED F9P. I downloaded the latest Ublox version and the firmware. Here is the message I get when clicking - go - to update. Any ideas what to do from here?

error

I would like to ask: has Andreas also made a Ublox F9P - Config file for “base”?

Probably, but why not use the config file from Ardusimple if you cannot find anything else?

Hello,

Was just trying to update configuration for an ardusimple simplertk2blite

I could not send Aortners cfg file for the life of me - the commands would just continually time out - so i switched to just trying to send the ardusimple rover cfg file.

This was also giving me the same error. I did manage to send the ardusimple config file one time by restarting my pc and changing the USB port - then i tried again to send Aortners file with no luck.

Using Kareldews post i was able to update the rate to 125ms - so i had hope. However this made the satellites in ucenter flicker on and off crazily. Also, i was not able to set the messages as he suggested.

In the end, i was able to successfully send Aortners file by changing the rate to 2000ms manually before attempting to do so. (view - messages - UBX - CFG - Rate - Measurement period set to 2000.

This took me about four hours and agopengps crashes now, but i feel i’ve gotten somewhere and i hope it helps. Will try again tomorrow.

Seems to confirm that the measurement rate reduction is useful as someone here suggested earlier on.

I’m not familiar with the configurations your mentioned but I’d check “manually” that you have more or less every useless message disabled. I only have GGA and VTG active and I run F9P at 10 Hz (GPS + GLONASS only). The 38400 bit/s serial port rate may become a bottleneck. You can check the load from u-center, ubx monitor message, your serial port tx load.

Make sure you have a good USB cable. I never needed to set the rate down to be able to config an F9P. (USB has plenty bandwidth, whatever bitrate you set) It is normal for U-center to behave a bit jumpy when rate is set to 8 or 10Hz. You can fix that by disabling some NMEA messages, removing GSV and GSA messages will restore peace. However, you will notice that U-center has less info to present to you. For a base the Ardusimple config is fine. One thing to watch for: Ardsusimple is using the generation 8 config format, Andreas is using the generation 9 config format.

The Ardusimple RTK2Blite communicates over the u-blox serial port (through an USB serial converter). I guess the RTK2B is different here.

My F9P was recently misbehaving a lot. I reset it to defaults and reconfigured and changed the USB cable. Started to work fine. Perhaps it was the USB cable that came from Ardusimple, have test it. I’ve seen warnings about bad USB cables before but I thought the “original” one should be fine.

Ah, the Lite version does not expose the F9P native USB connection?? Didnt know that. That could explain the sensitivity. Setting the bitrate to 115k2 should give enough headroom for a config, though.

1 Like