Ublox F9P - Config for rover

Check this message

Thanks for the help!
Think I have it sorted now

For anyone stuck on how to save the Config settingsā€¦ you have to click view, and bring up the configuration viewā€¦
That bit had me stumped for a bit!

Sorry but that confuses me. By saving settings, do you mean save to the F9P or save F9P settings to a backup file? Which ā€œview, Config settingsā€ menu did you mean? Or was it ā€œmessage view, UBX, CFGā€?

In any case, sounds like you are saying the instructions SjaakA referred to did not work, did you mean that? Saving settings to the F9P as well as reading from F9P and saving to a file should work as explained in the link (from tools menu, to and from GNSS, you just have to pick up the receiver mode that corresponds the settings file and preferably set measurement rate to 1 Hz).

Ok now I am guessing i may have something wrong!
What SjaakA sent definitely helped me, i got the firmware updated! Thanks for that.

What i meant was to find this screen

You have to click view (as in file.edit.VIEW.player) and select ā€˜configuration view ctrl + F9ā€™

Northernfarmer where do you set measurment rate to 1hz?
As you can probably tell im new to all this stuff, I am finding it very enjoyable building everything, and learning new skillsā€¦ glad there are people like yourselves though ready to help us newbies!

Thanks for that clarification. Note that many of us are new with these topics, with FP9 Iā€™m certainly one. You may well master F9P better than myself.

I guess there is some confusion because configuration files may be different. One way or the other we have to make sure the settings are stored to the flash when a good configuration has been obtained.

The measurement rate needs to end up to 8 Hz or 10 Hz but someone here suggested to set it first at 1 Hz before loading a new configuration. I think this frees the serial interface capacity and the uploading succeeds better. The measurement rate can be adjusted from view, receiver gen9 advanced configuration, cfg-rate menu.

Thanks Iā€™ll have a play around tomorrow to see if I can change the measurement rate, I think when I open AOG the rate that shows at the top of the screen is about 8hz, (Iā€™m on my mac at the moment so cant check)

Maybe slightly off topic here, but I have tried to connect to a base station that is about 25miles from me on rtkgo.com, through ntrip (are all the mounts on rtkgo.com free to use corrections from?), I think i have connected as the light is NOT on for ā€˜no rtkā€™ on the Ardusimple board. Not tried this in a tractor yet, so not sure on the accuracy, is there anyway to check in the software?

Both AOG and u-center indicate the RTK fix status. On u-center just turn on the data window, seems to be off in the figure above.

1 Like

I have gotten a Sparks fun ZED F9P. I downloaded the latest Ublox version and the firmware. Here is the message I get when clicking - go - to update. Any ideas what to do from here?

error

I would like to ask: has Andreas also made a Ublox F9P - Config file for ā€œbaseā€?

Probably, but why not use the config file from Ardusimple if you cannot find anything else?

Hello,

Was just trying to update configuration for an ardusimple simplertk2blite

I could not send Aortners cfg file for the life of me - the commands would just continually time out - so i switched to just trying to send the ardusimple rover cfg file.

This was also giving me the same error. I did manage to send the ardusimple config file one time by restarting my pc and changing the USB port - then i tried again to send Aortners file with no luck.

Using Kareldews post i was able to update the rate to 125ms - so i had hope. However this made the satellites in ucenter flicker on and off crazily. Also, i was not able to set the messages as he suggested.

In the end, i was able to successfully send Aortners file by changing the rate to 2000ms manually before attempting to do so. (view - messages - UBX - CFG - Rate - Measurement period set to 2000.

This took me about four hours and agopengps crashes now, but i feel iā€™ve gotten somewhere and i hope it helps. Will try again tomorrow.

Seems to confirm that the measurement rate reduction is useful as someone here suggested earlier on.

Iā€™m not familiar with the configurations your mentioned but Iā€™d check ā€œmanuallyā€ that you have more or less every useless message disabled. I only have GGA and VTG active and I run F9P at 10 Hz (GPS + GLONASS only). The 38400 bit/s serial port rate may become a bottleneck. You can check the load from u-center, ubx monitor message, your serial port tx load.

Make sure you have a good USB cable. I never needed to set the rate down to be able to config an F9P. (USB has plenty bandwidth, whatever bitrate you set) It is normal for U-center to behave a bit jumpy when rate is set to 8 or 10Hz. You can fix that by disabling some NMEA messages, removing GSV and GSA messages will restore peace. However, you will notice that U-center has less info to present to you. For a base the Ardusimple config is fine. One thing to watch for: Ardsusimple is using the generation 8 config format, Andreas is using the generation 9 config format.

The Ardusimple RTK2Blite communicates over the u-blox serial port (through an USB serial converter). I guess the RTK2B is different here.

My F9P was recently misbehaving a lot. I reset it to defaults and reconfigured and changed the USB cable. Started to work fine. Perhaps it was the USB cable that came from Ardusimple, have test it. Iā€™ve seen warnings about bad USB cables before but I thought the ā€œoriginalā€ one should be fine.

Ah, the Lite version does not expose the F9P native USB connection?? Didnt know that. That could explain the sensitivity. Setting the bitrate to 115k2 should give enough headroom for a config, though.

1 Like

Okay so i swapped the USB cable from the one included from ardusimple.

Itā€¦ seems betterā€¦ however i still wasnā€™t able to send either config fileā€¦ Even altering the rate like i did before didnā€™t work. I was also careful to change between gen 8 for ardusimple and gen 9 for aortners configs.

Then i decided to go into save configuration screen and reverted to defaults.

On default settings i was able to see 3D/DGNSS/FIXED however i couldnā€™t see 3D accuracy and other information or get rtk fix in agopenā€¦ I checked the f9p integration manual and on p95 it suggests adding 5 messages (UBX_NAV_SIG, NAV_PVT, NAV_POSLLH, NAV_RELPOSNED, NAV_STATUS). Once i sent these more satellite info and more information popped up in ucenter - so now i am sure i do have an RTK fix.

My 3d accuracy is 0.02 however HDOP is still 0.5. Is that typical?

Note the integration guide suggests setting baud rate to 230400 but this doesnā€™t seem available in agopengps.

Agopengps has said RTK fix on a couple of occasions - will try in the tractor soon with a better sky view and hopefully it can hold it.

One other thing - can someone elaborate what the numbers up top of agopengps mean?
eg i can see

10Hz 4
GPS single: 5

or

10Hz 6
RTK fix:5 Hz

Note i upped the rate to 8 Hz and i only got RTK fix: 6Hz in agopengps. Removed GSV/GSA messages and same result.

Looks like agopen might need better conditions - more satellites - or closer to NTRIP base to fix than ucenter? Also not sure what combination of satellites would be best in south east Australia. Might mess with that if i cant get the Hz up enough. Anyway will try tractor.

Thanks all

After 3 part afternoons of fiddling with this and 3 diff USB cables I found my solution.

I fired up the Win7 machine and in nothing flat had the firmware and config files done. - Go figure!!!

I get a fix in U-Center but read in garbage in AOG - should I change these Port settings?? If not any suggestions?

Port settings

You want only nmea to AoG, only RMC?

In the end i tried three USB cablesā€¦

My configuration problem (and configuring ucenter in general) was so annoying i ended up making a video about it. May help anyone that wants to learn a little bit about how to configure ucenter.

Thanks Ronan, Your video cleared up my connection problems in AOG. Iā€™m so :smiley: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :money_mouth_face: !!!