UDP & GPS Connection Issue

@andyinv I’ve had UDP and serial because of my GPS. How do I get my zedf9p to work on UDP? It takes a USB to get power and when I connect it via Bluetooth, that’s showing up as one of my COM ports.

I know Brian talked about UDP GPS in his video explaining networking, but he said his GPS was another computer.

My switch is a POE version (no router) and I have some of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087F4QCTR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title, but I don’t know how to make it work because it separates power to USB and data to the RJ45 plug.

You are using a PANDA board to get the F9P over UDP, yes?

First let us assume the F9p is set to output the gps data to the bluetooth port:
I have a ublox c099 and earlier connected to AOG computer by BT.
Always at first start of AOG system, I had to shift com port speed a couple of times before GPS data were arriving. (mostly between 19200 and 57600)
Off course you need to look in Windows Device Manager which COM port the BT operate .
But apart from that I would suggest you buy a Teensy 4.1 and build a panda board, Then you can go UDP with that and UDP from PCB V2 as well, and enjoy Panda correction of roll :slight_smile:

Well the next board I build for my other tractor will definitely be the all-in-one board, but I’ve got to get this one going for now. It’s time to be spraying here and I cannot figure this out.

I think the issue may just be that my COM 4 port, just won’t connect with AgIO. It’s like there’s something already linked through that port even though there isn’t.

If I can get UDP to work for the steer board & connect the GPS via serial, I should be able to get going. But UDP isn’t working because I cannot assign my IP address. I may try this on another computer and see if I can make any headway.

I do not have a Panda board.

So when you try to connect into agio, you can have the steering module connected or the gps but not both?

That’s right. Let’s say the only thing plugged into my computer is the GPS via USB. The Device manager will show COM4 & COM8 as active. Unplug it and both COM ports go away. Plug it in again and COM 4 won’t connect to AgIO, but I connect it to COM8 and it shows up green in AgIO. Now, I plug in the V2 steer board via USB. Nothing happens in the device manager. I cannot connect it to COM4 or COM8 in AgIO. I get the same message for both ports. I disassociate COM8 from the GPS in AgIO while leaving everything plugged in, & I can associate the steer board with AgIO via COM8. So it’s either or, no matter which USB port I plug things into.

This is why I’d love to get UDP working, but the pesky IP address…

Do you have the nano ch340 driver installed?

I had a similar problem with that network setting dialog and I can’t remember how I solved the problem.
Have you tried the other settings dialog in windows?

Right click on Ethernet port in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections, select “Properties”. Then select the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click Properties bottom right.

1 Like

It’s not a bad usb cable at all?

@Daryl, Your method allowed me to set the IP Address for my UDP network. Many Thanks!! Now I just have to figure out how to get these things talking. Is there something I need to do here:

GPS is connected via serial, but I need to connect steering via UDP. This is what I’m looking at now:

I need to get @PotatoFarmer to show me how to make this for my GPS, and It’ll allow me to upgrade to Teensy without scrapping this V2 board:
Developer Fun with AgOpenGPS “Ace” UDP Only. - YouTube

1 Like

There is a link to a comprehensive guide for ethernet udp/IP setup in your first post.

@andyinv asked if you had a Panda board. @Larsvest suggested you build it. This board will work along side your V2 board with an ethernet shield under the nano on the v2 board.
I built the Panda schematic on a pre - drilled board I had on hand however I would just order the PCB next time.
Board is here
AgOpenGPS_Boards/TeensyModules/Board/Panda_Board /
Firmware for teensy is here

Make sure you order a teensy 4.1 with ethernet! I used adafruit BNO085 DOF. Remove existing bno from your v2 board and put on the panda board.
Here is a link to the comprehensive teensy guide

Search the forum for “panda” and you will find answers to most questions. There is a parts list somewhere on the forum, Maybe someone can share the parts list here or put it in GitHub with Panda board?

In my opinion, Ethernet / panda board is a significant upgrade for existing boards (V2 /Kaupio V4). I used usb for a couple of years, it was a pain if connection lost briefly to the gps, had to restart agopengps. Don’t have that issue with ethernet.

I am beginning to understand now. I was thinking teensy/panda was a complete replacement in the new all in one board. I didn’t realize I can piggy back it on to the one I’ve got. That’s is very attractive.

I must have something wrong in my UDP setup for the steer board because I cannot get it to respond via UDP. As stated previously, it’s working with serial, just not with GPS too. See my picture in my previous post that showed the UDP subnet field blank in the middle of the screen. The bottom is showing green and connected, but I am not getting responses back from the steer board. I cannot get the subnet field to populate like in the instructions from GitHub. Any ideas?

I’m a novice myself so can only provide limited help. I would check you have the UDP ino on your V2 nano. If it is correct, sorry I can’t help.

How did he change the address for the steer box in point 15 of this tutorial? I wonder if I need to assign an address to the steer board. “Fill In” is greyed out for me. Probably because that center section is blank.

Don’t need to fill in unless you type in the box above, just change the subnet and click the blue network button on the right. Watch the video link at the top. Form about 3:30 on there is a good explanation of this.

Are you using the enc28j60 on the nano?

1 Like

Yes.

Full Disclosure: I was so lost when I wanted to start this, that I had someone else build and program a board for me. I have since found more of a roadmap developing that would have helped me immensely. I just jumped into the middle of things on discourse without knowing what to do. Now I am feeling more comfortable about building my own board for my other machines.

I think the problem is that the INO on the board is for USB, and I need to load the one for UDP. The guy who built the board told me to load the INO file for UDP. I am thinking the files are here: AgOpenGPS_Boards/ArduinoModules/UDP/Autosteer_UDP_v5 at master · farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS_Boards · GitHub. I have downloaded something from here: Software | Arduino, but I have no idea how to use it. This is what I have:
v

Is this what I need? Can someone direct me to a discussion, thread or tutorial about how to load INO files?

Yep it is really confusing st first. You definitely need the right ino. The following link is a pretty good guide, accept the ino files are now in the boards section on github. Match the right ino for the right version of agopengps