Universal Fit Gear System, with Quick Tach Motor Holder

In his video they look like they come to a point, like a triangular side profile.

1 Like

I have 2 rolls of TPU, but both are too hard and slippery…

1 Like

TPU is definitely harder than I thought it would be. It’s certainly flexible but not soft and grippty like a foam rubber would be. I’ve printed out some toy wheels just for fun and while they flex and bend, they definitely don’t grip on a hard surface. So maybe not the best for a friction wheel.

My TPU friction wheel was a failure. Far too much slippage.

But I lost interest because gears are always out of the fingers way, side load the steering column less, have no slip, and look cool spinning around.

4 Likes

Witch pressure did you apply to Sterring wheel?

me with steel and TPU i apply a force to avoid slippage

In case of emergency im really happy to use the slippage as fuse

does anyone has this AOG small gear v4 but with a 10mm shaft insted of the 12mm ?

Hi, my friend would be ready to print me the three part version of the gears and holder. He has been using ABS for his prints and says it should be better than PETG. What do you all think about that. I read about TPU from here and I suggested we would make the smaller gear from TPU. Is there a certain type/quality of TPU that should be used as there seems to be variable choises? TPU seems to be about 33% more expensive than ABS.

I feel like ABS would be a fine choice. Just be aware that ABS shrinks a little bit, so you may have to enlarge the STL a tiny bit. But your friend will have already had lots of experience with that.

I think ABS on ABS gears would be okay. Better than PETG on PETG. I wouldn’t expect ABS to shatter anyway. But I have no real experience.

1 Like

The manual gives suggestions that have been successful, you are free to try any combinations you like.

ABS is probably ideal, the reason I did not use it is because it really lets off strong fumes during printing.
The idea with the TPU wheel is the smaller gear is softer and more forgiving with some flex. If damage were to occur it should happen to the smaller gear. So far other than polishing of the teeth the PETG/TPU mating has shown no significant wear in the dirt and grime of an open station tractor.

PETG and ABS are likely equally suitable for the hard parts of the project.

3 Likes

Could this be added to the google drive / along with the type of the gear?
(Just in case someone would like to generate a gear that is lets say 15 tooth instead of 9 / 12 :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Its @PotatoFarmer system if he want he can add it. In many CAD software you got gear generators. Its easy to make custom gears.

Is there anyone that would be willing to make me one of these when I’m ready for it? I haven’t started installing yet.

I would pay for it and shipping obviously.

where are you located?

Thanks @PotatoFarmer for providing the files for printing these off.
The big gear i printed with PETG at .15 layer height and i think it looks absolutely perfect. The small gear is TPU 95A. i can’t wait to get these installed and test them out.

5 Likes

Rice Lake Wisconsin USA

I would also be interested in purchasing a set if there is someone willing. I haven’t quite got ready to dive into the 3D printing world yet. Located in central Nebraska.

What shore hardness should the TPU have for the small gear (e.g. 90A, 95A etc.)?
Why is the finger guard for the small gear made of TPU and not PETG or any other material?

The type of TPU I used did not declare hardness. But the results were a very hard rubber like a hockey puck.

The finger guard is TPU so it can flex without cutting your fingers if a person is very determined to touch the pinch point. Also since it attaches without fasteners it flexes over the holder to stay on.

Plus TPU is usually pretty glossy so its nice against the more matte pteg.

1 Like

@PotatoFarmer Could you share your settings for printing the Carbon Fiber PETG? I am getting a lot of stringing and i can’t figure out why.