Universal Fit Gear System, with Quick Tach Motor Holder

Experienced the same jump in quality slowing down a small amount from the advertised max speed.

My printer, sermoon D1, has become discontinued :pensive:
So it runs as long as it runs.

1 Like

I finally modified my Ender 3 V1 the other day to do TPU and it worked great on my demo print. Looks like the Ender 3 V2 Neo has the exact same extruder plate that you may need to replace. This is what I printed and installed:

It seems to work pretty well at 30 mm/s.

2 Likes

Speed speed speed :slight_smile: 100m/s PETG. Work is very vel.

5 Likes

A core XY printer is on my list to get some time. With input shaping seems like the speed out of a core XY can be way higher than my bed slinger.

As I mentioned, I had a great result with TPU on my Ender 3 doing a test XYZ cube at 30 mm/s. Then I had some PLA to print and when I came back to TPU I just couldn’t get it to print right at all. Under-extruded. I cleaned out my nozzle really well and even put in a new bowden tube. It was better but I’ve found if I slow down the feed rate to no faster than 25 mm/s and it’s doing well. So quite slow, but the quality is pretty good.

Probably it might be best if I kept just one printer for TPU (a direct drive), and then the other printer for PLA and PETG.

I don’t understand the TPU. I use PETG for everything. No wear after 300 hours.

1 Like

I just printed TPU for fun mainly. And I could print friction wheels for rubbing on the steering wheel directly.

Maybe a TPU spur gear might be quieter than a PETG on PETG gear.

PETG on PTEG is great till its not, then it shreds. The first sets I made before ACS712 and the Cytron mod died unpredictable powdery deaths. Also my tractor is open station and very loud, could hear them clacking together over the engine noise.

PTEG on PTEG was not bad if the teeth chewed out of the small gear. But before making the three segment style removing the steering wheel every large gear failure got annoying.

So to save the big gear, and ensure that the small gear would take the damage went with TPU. Still no significant wear to speak of.

3 Likes

What would be the best filament for friction wheel?
You have .stl that you could share?

I rework gear with solidedge. New profil no have noise.

And all print time 4 hour.

to conform @PotatoFarmer i do simular with small gear in TPU but with steel ring
the TPU is really stong i can do easily 200h before starting to loose the initial wall

3 Likes

Good question. Likely TPU would be the best for that application. Flexible PLA might work, but the sun in a cab can melt PLA. EZ-Steer uses foam rubber wheels. I haven’t designed any wheels myself. And I’m not sure how you’d attach the TPU tire to the wheel such that it wouldn’t slip. Probably would need some interlocking shape, as well as some glue. Very little sticks to PETG as far as adhesive goes.

Can you show a picture of your new tooth edge profile, @MrPoke?

In his video they look like they come to a point, like a triangular side profile.

1 Like

I have 2 rolls of TPU, but both are too hard and slippery…

1 Like

TPU is definitely harder than I thought it would be. It’s certainly flexible but not soft and grippty like a foam rubber would be. I’ve printed out some toy wheels just for fun and while they flex and bend, they definitely don’t grip on a hard surface. So maybe not the best for a friction wheel.

My TPU friction wheel was a failure. Far too much slippage.

But I lost interest because gears are always out of the fingers way, side load the steering column less, have no slip, and look cool spinning around.

4 Likes

Witch pressure did you apply to Sterring wheel?

me with steel and TPU i apply a force to avoid slippage

In case of emergency im really happy to use the slippage as fuse

does anyone has this AOG small gear v4 but with a 10mm shaft insted of the 12mm ?

Hi, my friend would be ready to print me the three part version of the gears and holder. He has been using ABS for his prints and says it should be better than PETG. What do you all think about that. I read about TPU from here and I suggested we would make the smaller gear from TPU. Is there a certain type/quality of TPU that should be used as there seems to be variable choises? TPU seems to be about 33% more expensive than ABS.

I feel like ABS would be a fine choice. Just be aware that ABS shrinks a little bit, so you may have to enlarge the STL a tiny bit. But your friend will have already had lots of experience with that.

I think ABS on ABS gears would be okay. Better than PETG on PETG. I wouldn’t expect ABS to shatter anyway. But I have no real experience.

1 Like