(Variable) Rate control

Just for the question, Could we not have a full pgn with nothing but rate out and rate in. 8 chemicals out and feedback of the 8 chemicals in.

We mix various chemicals ahead of time. But could you not add inline valves and mixers? More chemical, less water or more water and less chemical? This may be how the bigger rigs operate. I can just say we would benefit from keeping it all separate.

1 Like

Something like this:

The RateOut values would be percentages? The RateIn in would be pressure?

3 Likes

I like. I would send in and out in 0 to 200. That way you can compare maps.

With the background. Gives you places to trace, but not reading the values.

Yes, if you want to. This one is off center. I could not cut it correct because the earth is not flat. May need to reduce the size of the cut box or allow a shift. You still need to trace this as it does not pick up the pixels.

10 Likes

No words to describe you work. Nice!

1 Like

Thank you. Brian had most of this in the software at one time or another. I copy and paste well.

This I simply converted the shapefile to kml in GE and asked AOG to import as multi kml boundary. Never thought it would do this as easy as it did. This file has rates and such attached. I think that we can look for what loop we are in an provide the rate automatic. I will give it a try later.

Alright, it will import the kml into the ABDraw. Not as a boundary but as a rate area.
You can cycle through each and apply the value to all points inside the boundary. Found a little problem. The cross shaped area on the lower left is inside a larger boundary. You must rate the outer boundary before you can rate the inner boundary.

4 Likes

It would be nice to have the absolute value in the first bytes (e.g. 2 byte Half-precision floating-point ) and the unit (e.g. 1 == kg/ha, 2 == liter/ha, … 255) followed by the rate in percents as described by SK21 in the tab.

(Some more thoughts in Additional selectable PGNs for multiple purposes)

1 Like

Another PGN could be used for instances where the absolute rate is required. Ex:

3 Likes

Big changes to the VR. Once it loads the multi kml, you simply scroll through them and set the rates. It no longer looks for the mapping points. It finds the rate contour you are in and sets the rate to that value. I’ll probably add back the draw contour line feature. The big hurdle was what to do with contours inside of contours? Sort them by area smallest to largest. Look for the smallest first, when you found it you have found the correct one. No need in looking in the larger lines. This was a big step forward. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier.

7 Likes

Practically this PGN is sent by AoG to the Rate Controller, in which the conversion parameters from percentage to quantity are then set and then sent to the Arduino which controls the valves or the opening of the fertilizer spreader?

1 Like

Yes that is the idea.

2 Likes

Rewrote most of the color routines. It now takes the max and min rate and colors based on the delta between the two. So if the range is only a few points, it still maps at the entire color range. All the mapping and rate is done from the polygons not the points.

If you have a kml, import it first. Then you can draw other rate areas. All the rate boundaries are created at the rate value in the box. Then you edit them by scrolling through them. All done by percentages. A simple spreadsheet could be created or even an on screen calculator to convert the rates to percent. 3000 is base line 100 percent, 3300 is 110 percent. 2900 is 97 percent. etc.

Next I’ll build the dedicated rate byte string for communication. And the ability to save the rate boundaries to the field. Wondering if we can edit them inside of AOG?? I know we can draw new ones. But can we edit them?? I have to work on deleting them as well. Duplicate polygons drawn over the ones below does not work very well.

Here are a few screenshots: Note the polygon is drawn to the rate you are in.

3 Likes

It will be good to see it in action. Better to understand it then.

4 Likes

When I get it saving and sending the sentence, I will put it out for a trial run.

6 Likes

I think this would be a really great addition and big step forward for AOG. Know we have great autosteer and sectio control. But still need to run other monitors in cab for rate control flow monitoring etc.

3 Likes

Well it writes the rate map back to a kml file and this file can be loaded into a new field. Currently area includes interior areas of sub rates. But getting closer.

Rate.kml (15.5 KB)

And I found that I can edit the shape in GE and reload it in AOG and it does change and keep the rate.

Inside AOG with Dots.

Without Dots.

And with the background.

Now for the png sentence.

9 Likes

If current variable rate map building programs make a shapefile could that just be converted to a kml? I do think most of the shapefiles contain a rate not a percentage so would have to look into that more. I was just trying to think of a way to use this if my agronomist makes me shapefile VR maps

Export to kml appears to build inner boundaries. These would be duplicate if that is the case. Also, in what format is the rate saved? Is it and attribute, description, name, or what? If we did get the rate valuation import, it would simply be a pass through value.

@Mdmcurt have you a .shp file you can upload here? Like @KentStuff said, we need to know where the rate is saved.
@customfordfan 's .shp seem to be only random colors, it’s probably his .dbf file that contain the rate but seam to be proprietary.

@KentStuff Is inner boundaries a problem? If you look for the smallest area your in could you simply ignore the inner boundaries when uploading the .kml?

I am getting one to send, I don’t know much about them but will get one to load up herr

1 Like

I found the duplicate problem and assumed it was reading an inner boundary. I think the kml file says inner. If so, then we can ignore it, maybe. We will need to know where the rate is saved in the kml file. Mine looks for the word percent and backs up four characters and reads three spaces. You can read the rate, you just must know what you are reading. 100 percent is 100 percent. But if I need to spray 1 quart per acre, or 10 gallons per acre, or put 3000 lbs per acre, that becomes difficult to code. Put the rate conversions in a secondary program. That’s my take on it.

2 Likes