(Variable) Rate control

Bring a piece of metal close to the tip of the sensor and make sure that the led behind the sensor is lit, connect your meter like this, how many volts do you get?

i get 3.8v

IT DOES WORK!!!
Thank you soo much! I haven’t ather words…
This is the dimostration that AOG is an amazing system, that everyone can use with real result.

4 Likes

Hi. first, congratulations for all the work done. I would like to know how to do that the rate does not divide when section are closed. My project is to control a corn planter. Closing sections shouldn’t slow down training speed in my case

Welcome to AOG. Unfortunately I can’t help. You may need to provide more info on how planter is driven. In the INO, there is a speed output. You could possibly use it with some programming to keep drive ratio consistant with ground speed. Give more details and one of these geniuses will help.

I use sk21 rate controller (Pwm to motor converted with dac for 2.5-5v for the scraper connector rear the tractor to run a hydraulic motor , flow sensor) and KentStuff version. The corn meter slowdown when section close, perfect for a sprayer, spreader or central seeder. Bot not for a corn planter

Are there multiple meter motors using the same pwm output? When a section is off the power to that meter is off but you would like the pwm output to remain the same for the other meters? Is that how it works?

The motor remplace the ground wheel and drive all the 12 rows. With 4 clutch for 4 sections. If 1 section closed, the others drive 75% of needed rpm. Is there a solution that I don’t know? (Sorry, google translate)

Sounds like 1 hydraulic motor with flow sensor. Will only vary with ground speed. Clutches turn on and off each row.

I am sorry, but I do not understand the question. More likely I do not understand the equipment. Currently the rate is calculated at the center of the tool, not under each section. The rate for each section would need to be controlled independently of the main motor. The main motor would need to be cut to the percentage of the sections remaining open. In this case, 100,75,50,25,or 0. This could be done in the arduino as a separate function. Since the arduino has no idea how many sections are possible, it would need to be hard coded. Might be a future possibility, but currently there is no built-in solution.

1 Like

I mean on a corn planter, each row has its own distributor/meter. Closing a section should not alter the rpm (upm)of the other rows at same ground speed and at same target rate (not like in a sprayer or fertilizer with central distributor or pump). Now all the rows are drive by 1 hydraulic motor for variable rate in my planter.

I have updated the rate app to support this. AOG_RC/RateControllerApp at LargeScreen ¡ SK21/AOG_RC ¡ GitHub

Click “Constant UPM” to try it and see if it works for you.

3 Likes

Wow, awesome. Thank you very much for your help!!! I really appreciate this app. Good job. I try it soon

I am working on porting the Rate Control code to an ESP32 and WiFi. Most everything is working, but I have to go and tap the ‘Master On’ button in Product>Diagnostics to get it to control the rate. I then tried sending PGN 106, 127 the info DataOut[2] | ( 1 << 0 ); DataOut[2] | ( 1 << 1 ); to turn on Auto and Master On, but then it always shuts off the AOG automatic section control. Is there any way to make the Rate Control App just see the sections in AOG and use those, and not worry about any switch box?

Or, is the code being used to calculate the Rate application easy enough to be implemented on a single ESP32? All I want is a single box with a single sensor and a single valve for rate control. The section control is already done.

So after fiddling a while I sent this message:

DataOut[0] = 106;
DataOut[1] = 127;
// read switches
DataOut[2] = 1;
//DataOut[2] | ( 1 << 0 ); //Auto
DataOut[2] | ( 1 << 1 ); //MasterOn
//bit[2] = false; //MasterOff
//bit[3] = false; //RateUp
//bit[4] = false; //RateDown
DataOut[3] = 255;
DataOut[4] = 255;
DataOut[5] = CRC(DataOut, 6, 0);
udpSendFrom.writeTo( DataOut, 6, ipDestination, sectionRateConfig.rcPortSendTo );

And now I can use the auto section mode, with one caveat. All the sections turn off when starting the Rate Control app the first time. It would be nice to have a way to ignore all switches in Rate Control system, and just use AOG sections ON for calculations.

Which version are you using? The latest branch does not have the switches on the diagnostics page. GitHub - SK21/AOG_RC at LargeScreen In this version the switches don’t have to be used.

I was using the last release. I downloaded the large screen version, but it looks like the PGNs (and code?) have changed, so I need to work on it. The Mod button stays blue. Thanks for the tip about the large screen branch. Out of curiosity, is there a reason the large screen is not the latest? Are there changes coming down the line I should know of?

There shouldn’t be many more changes right now. I was just checking for errors in the largescreen branch. I think I can move it to master now. Too many good ideas from everyone! Hard to keep it stable. There is code in the Teensy rate module for connecting over wifi with a serial connected esp8266. A stand-alone esp32 version would be a good option too. I have been testing with the wifi connection and it seems pretty stable. In the tractor it might be different.

1 Like

All we are using is WiFi + ESP32 for 2 years now, and have had no big complaints. I wasn’t sure about WiFi, but it seems to work. One problem was the autoreconnect code for when the router loses power or something, but the ESP32 has some callbacks to make it reconnect when it loses connection to the station. We (my colleague and I) are setting AOG up for our friends, and releasing our changes to the AOG community. A lot of my work is found in AOG addendum. Most of it is based on what other people did. Someday I want to have better docs and do some more tutorials here on Discourse.

2 Likes

@KentStuff i have try with another file, followiong your tutorial, and AOG say reading error KLM file, create or select another file.
i don’t understand where i made a mistake. this in the files used for the second try:
trenta allargato bis.kml (1,5 KB)
trentamodulazione.kml (148,9 KB)