WAS with Ackermann steering

Just adjust and watch the steer angle numbers change. If they don’t change, its the other direction that does the changing.

2 Likes

I think I have it adjusted pretty good now and can U-turn both ways fairly well, but my counts per degree are only 26 ish unfortunately. I may try the stock sensor again and see if I can get it to work and have a full range to work with that way.

Also on a side note for some odd reason the degree read out on the bar at the bottom of the autosteer settings menu would work fine when drive button was on (green) but when off (red) the green bar would work but the number for the degree would be frozen or just show zero all the time. I never had that happen in the old version but it likes doing that in version 4.

Do you have your GPS receiver over the rear axle in this setup?

Antenna is on top of the cab, front end.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile: @BrianTee_Admin i had also some issues with the counts per degree. I have measured the outer Diameter of the circle with Max. Steering angle. I have calculated the outer angle and the in ner angle. But i guess in AOG SetPoint(grün) is the angle for the virtuell(middle) wheel betwenn the outer and inner wheel. So is then the best way to adjust counts per degree as lang as, the wheel angle sensor(Red) matches the calculated one in my case.35.7 °Screenshot_20200613_085919_com.android.gallery3d|240x500
Regards Peter

Measurements and calculations only you get you started. You can adjust the counts per degree up or down and see if guidance gets better or worse.

Ackermann steering, yes. the easiest way is to make sure the WAS is centered, turn the wheels all the way one way, check the angle, then all the way the other and set the Ackerman so they read about the same.

The Ackermann ajustment works fine :slight_smile: i think for the wheel angle i need to change the counts per degree as lang as the calculated Max. virtuell centered wheel matches the display ed one in AGO? Or is it really just trial and error?
Regards Peter

It really is unfortunately trial and error. Also the settings interact and compound the challenge. That’s what makes it really fun…

1 Like

hello,

has anyone a simple trick to measure the wheel angle without going to the field ? so i could adjust the rod length and WAS position ?

thanks for your ideas !

take a pen or a camera or a chalk to identify top view

check the angle with protrator

Wheel Angle Signal Path AOG
That should be the signal path of the wheel angle inside AOG Autosteer 4.3.10.
@BrianTee_Admin Hope that’s correct so far…

5 Likes

I should mention, that AOG can invert the WAS (option in “Module Configuration”)

I am new here and I just start working on diy auto steer I have John Deere 8400 and John Deere 9229 can any body help me out where to install WAS I attached jd 8400 and 9220 pictures plz pin in out thanks in advance image

Here you can find some ideas.
If you type John deere in search field (magnifying glass at the top) you can find more.

Maybe this helps you.

A clarification, in my case I am installing it on a front bridge carraro 20.19, the king ping has an angle of 7º, if I have understood it wrong, I must not join the perpendicular to the ground, I must put it parallel to the king ping, therefore with an angle of 7º.

7º "In"and 6º “back” (caster) so that WAS axle is parallel with the king pin.

1 Like

Thx :wink:

Edit : image to simplify concepts

angle was

1 Like

SAI and Caster only affect Ackermann a little, but I agree best is close to same angles.

Parallel mounting reduces the vertical torque on the WAS axle from the WAS rods when the wheels are turned.

1 Like