Autosteer Settings. Can't get a straight line

@Larsvest Getting back in the tractor the roll should not have been inverted. This did not help. Also tried the 0 height antenna. Did not help.

@PotatoFarmer I will revert to the .ino to use the original code. Eveytime I did it before it would not have a speed at all nor would it pick up a heading.

Steering effort is light.

This is with 5.6.14. Maybe I will try a different version in the 5.6 release cycle.

yes try last approve version like 5.6.2… it is really better fto begin

1 Like

Yeah even I am running 5.6.2

Good catch @bricbric

Its easier to experiment when the only unstable changes are your own :grin: sounds like people are having some issues with .15 and .16. Think because its getting reorganized.

1 Like

Read the method in this post to find min setting for the motor.

The idea is the min setting is the starting torque that barely could influence the tractor direction. The lowest number that can actually move the wheel.

The Low setting corrects to the line

1 Like

Like @PotatoFarmer low setting is really important

also advised is to do pessimistic adjutement
if you are to enthousiastic you always accros the line and …accros the line …

If you have chance to do dynamically it can be me realist if you do stationnary remove 20-30% according the soil

i do this video in french to adjust V5 since 1 years to help adjustement i add some subtitle on video in case of …

So I switched to 5.6.2 fought getting the autosteer to work since the IP address was incorrect in the .ino file.

Went thru the tuning process again setting low, min, max and P.

Still the same results. The only way to get it to calm down is to set look ahead to 5m and have the speed look ahead set to 2.5 or more. This works ok still not great for an AB line. Does not work good at all for a curved path.

I have a new 90 degree WAS on the way. I will have to make a new arm for the new sensor once I get it. I will try testing it later this week.

1 Like

I dont know if this has been mentioned but I always do initial steer settings with Roll and Heading disabled. That way we eliminate any possible issues with those components. I usually do mine without rtk as well but if available id use rtk for initial setup as well. I set min pwm while the tractor is under way as this is when steering will be used not while sitting still. Just an idea not sure if it was mentioned already. I also forgot to mention my setup is currently the original V5 and I use stanley with a single f9p on the roof.

Update. It was the WAS. The new WAS with 90 degree range is much better. Was able to run an AB line at 10mph without much wiggle.

Still need to do some tuning for u turns and AB Curves but I am much less frustrated now.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Videos of install and operation coming soon.

3 Likes

What do you do if steering is not light? I made the jumper wire modification to my Cytron, and I can steer manually, but not easily, and the cogs want to jump. Why might there be so much resistance on the motor?

I’ve got some serious tuning to do so my setup will track a straight line. After reading tonight, I think my integral is set too high causing it to zig zag worse and worse as it goes.

I’m running 5.7.2 & there is not a “Low” setting in steer setup in this version. There’s a lot of talk about how important it is to have that setting correct. What is it called in this version?

Do you have power steering that works?

Are the gears floating on the springs or mashed together under pressure?

Hydraulic steering is good.
Steering works great without power to the motor.
The gears are floating on the springs.

If the cytron modification is working, you should have very little added effort to the steering when auto steer is powered up but the indicator is red.

Test with a multimeter to ensure cytron enable disable pin is changing states.

If the cytron is not put to sleep its like having an emergency brake on the steering wheel, incredibly hard to turn.

“Test with a multimeter to ensure cytron enable disable pin is changing states.”

How do I know where this pin is? I was not able to find it on the cytron manual.

I have a new Holland super steer with the original all in one duel gps board. I am using the stock WAS that came on the tractor and also using valves (not a steer motor). At slower speeds (5mph) I have got it to follow a line ok but at at 7-8mph it is struggling. If it follows a line well at a slower speed is the look ahead speed the only thing needed to change for higher speeds? I am fairly confident in the WAS zero, CPD, and, Ackerman. What would be a good place to start for the power settings? Integral? Roll filter. I am using RTK at 8 htz.

Try increasing the look ahead hold.
For me that solved all of my issues.
Slower speeds decrease look ahead hold.
Higher speeds increase look ahead hold.
You can try increasing the speed gain and it should automatically increase the look ahead hold.
Hope this helps you.

What is your look ahead now?

I found reducing look ahead stopped the slow snaking around ab line, when driving 13 kmh

Look ahead is 2.5, look ahead speed gain is 1.4

I use 1.5 and gain around 1.4

I am having problems getting set up. I have been messing with this for months, but haven’t been able to get this set up working yet.

PCB V2
CDMS 14
Single GPS
Cytron
24V Phidgets
@PotatoFarmer steering gears
Version 5.7

I just replaced the WAS because I thought it was faulty per earlier posts in this thread. It is doing exactly the same thing. Apparently I don’t have something set correctly. Please help!

How do I attach a video to show what it is doing?

Upload to YouTube and post a link