Best tractor to buy for easy canbus connectivity

Hello,

I have recently come to the realization that my tractor is too small for my needs (kubota m105s 4x4 with loader, agopengps pcb teensy cytron dual antenna steering motor) and I am looking at buying either a replacement “do everything” tractor (140hp with loader) or a secondary large tractor (180hp-220hp no loader.)

I’d like to know which tractor model is most reliable AND fully accessible via canbus for agopengps without having to reinvent the wheel.

I’ve heard that most AGCO tractors are good for this purpose, and that all recent John Deer tractors are not.

So which tractors allow for nearly plug and play of agopengps into canbus?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

You’re on the right track. Any Massey Ferguson that has the autosteer button on the right hand cab post is steer ready and should work. I have AOG controlling my 6616 over canbus. Very slick.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with Fendt tractors using agopengps over canbus?

I tried to see what it gives but without really using it, it worked very simply thanks to Tony’s pcb. But there are many who actually use it.

Same board/code worked when I moved it from 6718S to Valtra T245. Two wires and you’re off :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are you satisfied with the Massey Ferguson 6718S? Or have you traded it for the Valtra?

Neither are mine, both kept by owners

I’m looking for a reliable + or - 125hp tractor that can take full advantage of agopengps (CVT+canbus).

Autosteer “ready” is good but I’m also fully comfortable with installing a WAS and steer motor. I just want to make sure that agopengps can control the tractor speed.

Reliability+price remain my main concern. Ideally I’m looking for a 3000-5000 hour, 10 year old tractor for a small 300 acre row crop operation.

Any suggestions?

As far as I’m aware, nobody has written code to control tractor speed…

What about lifting and lowering an implement?

Machine control has been there almost from day one.

Out of curiosity, under which criteria would you want the tractor speed controlled? I’m not aware of any commercial auto-steer product being able to control speed at all. The latest Isobus developments have an option for the Isobus implement controlling the tractor, speed included and of course the OEM headland management can tricker different cruise control settings but you must be after something else.

I feel silly now, having just assumed that AOG could already control speed.

The reason I want to control speed is nothing special. I just want the tractor to slow down while doing a u turn then speed up again afterwards. I currently run a manual transmission with a diy WAS and phidgets motor for autosteer, dual antenna no imu on the latest PCB.

I figure if I upgrade my tractor, I might as well get all the functions I can without having to install extra stuff.

1 Like

OK, this clarifies what you are actually after. I do this kind of speed control with the OEM Fendt headland management. I’d say it could be part of AOG machine control but how would AOG physically control your tractor speed? Remotely operating cruise control memory buttons, adjusting engine RPM remotely (conflicts with TMS, optimised transmission and engine operation for a given speed) or even changing gears? Perhaps a CAN hacker could do it if the tractor allowed full control via CAN.

I was thinking of using the cruise control functions.

I am also considering a used fendt tractor as they are very popular here… And very expensive.

I only have a small row crop operation so I need to compromise somewhere. However, seeing 30 year old old reliable John Deere and Case tractors such as the John Deere 7810 or Case 7250 selling for 80 000$CAD with 10 000 hours is making me think that a 10 year old Fendt/Massey/AGCO may be the way to go for me. I’m better at fixing electronics than I am at doing mechanical repairs however.

Are you in Canada NorthernFarmer?

Fendt and CLAAS are the only two tractors that I am aware of that there is AOG canbus code available to operate the tractor headland management via canbus. This works with the hydraulic lift function of AOG to send the headland management button message to busily press the button at the headland line. What ever you program in the headland management of the tractor will be activated when AOG “presses the button” at the headland line. I have setup AOG to do this on both fendt and claas. Code is in the canbus teensy ino. You will need at least two canbus channels on the teensy pcb to do both steering and headland management. I think on latest AIO pcb there is only 1 canbus, not sure what version your pcb is.

What year tractors are we talking about here?

I actually don’t have any canbus capability on my current PCB as that area of the board was sacrificed on my custom board so as to allow for a wider trace for the cytron.

A new tractor would mean a new board with dual canbus. Doesn’t every forum member build at least one new AOG system every year anyway?

For Claas tractors from about 2014 on that are steer ready with cebis. For Fendt I think anything steer ready with the touch screen vario terminal.

Yea I do agree with building a new system regularly. I also have my own custom pcb and have multiple versions of it. It’s a constantly evolving and moving target. :rofl:

1 Like