CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

All in one PCB was my first choice, but while reading more and more, decided to go for 3 CAN because of stear on CAN and implement control… but as its not stear ready it was wrong choice, and pcb was allready ordered… but i will go for AIO Micro pcb now… only need to understand witch one is the latest.
thanks for your advice

Hello @CommonRail,
I am thinking of putting a Keya Motor to pilot the steering via CanBus (both for Challenger and TG).
For the Challenger, as a tracked tractor with no WAS and return to 0 steering, if the Teensy code for PCB 4.1 already covers it (with or without Keya), can you clarify how will the Teensy know that it does not have to rely on a WAS to correct the steering ? (I did not find any clear indication in all other Differential Steering discussions),
And if this works for the Challenger, I guess we are not far for enabling this for any tractor (back to “other no WAS” discussions, but here, via CanBus). Does this sound feasible ?
Thanks

The factory steering via can on the Challenger works just like a normal tractor with WAS. This is calculated by the tractor ecu.

This tractor here is running AgOpen via CANBUS

4 Likes

Hello. I have a Massey Ferguson 7624. I am using it with arduino nano and mcp2515, the firmware: https://github.com/MechanicTony/AOG_CAN_Uno_Nano/blob/main/Valtra/Autosteer_USB_CANBUS_Valtra_08.01.2023.zip
I want to switch to AIO to not use USB and have everything with LAN. I have tested the firmware: https://github.com/farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS_Boards/tree/master/Misc/CANBUS/CANBUS%20Firmware/Autosteer_AOGv5_Teensy4.1UDP_SteerReadyCAN_AIOModified
It works, but I can’t get the driving to be activated with the button on the tractor control, which does work for me with the Arduino nano firmware.
Can you help me?

In the aio canbus ion the engage message is setup for Valtra. On MF the message is the same other than it comes from a different ID. The MF sends from ID 00 and Valtra 32. If you change the ID in the can all brands file from 32 to 00 it will work. You have to change it in the filters for brand1 line28 and further down where it reads the message line 361.

1 Like

Also check this thread: Steering a '22 MF 6718S over CANBUS

And check out the TeensyFlasher tool to make flashing the AIO with CANBUS mods easy.

Works. Thank you so much.

hello, I got a tony canboard, I put it together, the subject: fendt 930 vario 2006, I connected can3-Vbus correctly, I also set the brand and panda mode in arduino, the tractor accepted the sent messages, because if I pulled out the wire steering error was written on the dashboard. but no data came from the WAS and it did not control the tractor. the steering button on the tractor just flashed and nothing happened. help me, what could be the problem? then I tried with arduino uno and seeedstudio canshield v2, but I didn’t get anything either, when I connected the wires, only the rx led lit up and the tx didn’t, no can messages came.
Thanks in advance !

I work some time on new code to sniff with savvycan and teensy

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have just finished putting @CommonRail 's Teensy Canbus PCB together.
Now I am wondering what’s the best way to power the board and to get the connection to AgOpen?

I would like to power it via USB from the tablet that it starts together with the computer and doesn’t “idle” for hours when Agopen isn’t actually used.

Can it be powered directly by the Teensy micro usb?
Could I also use that USB connection to connect the board to AgIO or is it always better to use UDP for that case?
Is it even possible to connect via serial because the Teensy combines the steering controller and PANDA in one device? Is it connected in AgIO as a steering controller or as something else?
Lots of questions coming up… :sweat_smile:

I would be thankfull for every tipp or example how to do it in the most convenient way!

Thanks in advance!

Power it with 12v from a source that’s powered via the key. It won’t matter if it idles without AgOpen.

You must connect via Ethernet cable, USB is for diagnostic and setup only.

We have now added this in the ino of @CommonRail so the engage message of valtra, MF and Mccormick are all included in the same Agco brand 1 setting with serial service tool.

3 Likes

The engage message is on V_Bus?
Hitch position is on ISO_Bus?

Depends on the machine. Typically K-Bus for both of them, I think, in Fendt terms anyway.

Massey 7724 without S.

Both on the K Bus for MF

On MF K-Bus is?

Sterring is on CAN3 Engine.

Canbus 1 is K bus

1 Like

Where did you end up getting with this? I have a Case Steiger 485 HD 2008 model, looks like it has a similar analogue valve onboard… I was hoping to control it via CAN, but if I could find a wiring diagram to connect direct to the valve I’ll happily just do that instead!

At a 2017 MF 7720 today, found the steering on the lower plug, X888 and the joystick (headland management button) reporting on 0x210[1] & 0x20. Didn’t get the connector number of the port, but it’s the one in the pair next to fender.