CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Here is the PCB files and parts list for JLC & LCSC (Just remove the .txt and unzip) - There will be enough parts for 5 boards

You will also need to order some J1B1211CCD Ethernet conectors from AliExpress.

Teensy4.1 Simple CANBUS PCB 23.11.2021.zip.txt (185.1 KB)

If you know @Valtro or Bennet (Not sure his name on here) he might still have some boards as they were making them up.

Edit:
You also need some these CAN Transceivers MCP2562-E/P (3 per board if using all 3 CAN Channels), maybe you can get them from somewhere like Mouser, RS Components etc

These two programs (USB or UDP) will work with the following steering ready tractors:

• Danfoss PVED-CL & PVED-CLS (Claas, JCB, Massey Fergerson, CaseIH, New Holland, Valtra, Deutz)
  • Fendt SCR, S4, Gen6 (Not Fendt One Models Yet)
  • Late model Valtra & Massey with PVED-CC valve (Steering controller in Main Tractor ECU)

Autosteer_AgOpenGPS_USB_Teensy4.1_CANBUS_AllBrands_15.11.2021.zip.txt (28.9 KB)

Autosteer_UDP_AOGv5_Teensy4.1_CANBUS_SteerReady_15.11.2021.zip.txt (31.0 KB)

10 Likes

it’s perfect thank you now I will be able to interest him a little more in the project

if someone has an entire pcb to sell I am a taker

Anybody using MAX3051 transceiver with T4.1? Bought some ready made breakouts and can’t get the bus working. Everything should be wired OK and the code runs perfectly on skpang Triple CAN T4.0 board. Just a very faint bus led on pican2 board that I’m using as counterpart, that works on several other devices. Bitrates, bus termination etc. checked and OK. Ideas?

I used these. The MCP2562.

1 Like

@CommonRail Hi Tony,

Do you want to share the EASYEDA Project also?
I’m thinking of an SMD-version of the board…

2 Likes

Too embarrassed to share haha, I operate in spaghetti mode. But if you can make sense of it and redraw it go for gold.

Edit: sorry old file was one version too old
This is the latest verison most people are using.
Project_Teensy 4.1 CAN Ver2_2022-01-30_17-22-08.zip (278.9 KB)

I made this PCB to get a simple board with only whats needed for 100% CAN system.

So far working factory tractors are:
Fendt - SCR, S4, Gen6
Fendt - FendtOne models with part: ACP0595080 3rd party steering unlock installed
Massey Ferguson & Valtra - Inculding the latest models with PVED-CC valve using factory steering contoller
Claas Tractors - Non MR, MR, and Stage 5
Case / New Holland - With PVED-CLS valve
JCB - With PVED-CLS valve
Deutz - With PVED-CLS valve

Headland managment is no longer only a Fendt thing too, someone has worked out another brand. Im hopefull to get a few more options in the AOG hitch / section control + headland pages to make setting up faster and easier in the field.

Always working more and more out everyday as more and more people are using the CAN ready gear with AgOpen. But also the Non CAN gear its growing fast with more people finding out about it.

Teensy 4.0 Triple CAN Board Include Teensy 4.0 — SK Pang Electronics Ltd this is a very nice board off the shelf, and not too bad price either, no ethernet though. If you get rid of the bottom pins, you could slap in a T4.1 as well.

It doesn’t look that bad at all.
Let me look and i will come back to you :slight_smile:

Great project so far!

1 Like

skpang makes a 4.1 board, and even comes with a nice little screen (which is removable). I also see one where they have an onboard ublox receiver. If they would just make one with the F9P instead, that would be a fantastic little integrated board with just about everything on one board.

I have two of the 4.1 boards heading this way. Plan to use that for controlling the home-made electrohydraulic spool valves for the older valtra. Maybe put the steer controller to run on the same board as well.

Do you have the code somewhere on github or are these the latest versions?

Finally finding some quality time together with my PVED-CLS controller, should work quite much 1-to-1 with this codebase. Only thing still unclear is where to get the 2 speed signals for the CAN to make the CLS controller happy, quick and dirty fix is just to read from the tractor bus with Teensy and send out with 2 different IDs to the steering bus.

Im not very good with github its a nightmere to me. Here is my latest one for “Most brands” and v5.4.5.

Autosteer_UDP_AOGv5_Teensy4.1_CANBUS_SteerReady_8.1.2022_GPSIMU.zip (33.5 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks! Finally the PVED-CLS is up and running on the desktop. Some cold sweat moments with the firmware update ending with errors, was half-certain I already bricked the bastard but luckily not. Now it’s just about configuring it properly and getting the required information to the controller.

Found the speed data finally from the T4, from vehicle bus IO module and from ISOBUS:

EDIT: Also a second speed signal available from transmission controller:

One step forward, scaling is easy to deduct now from the isobus speed which is 0.001 m/s per bit and CLS should be happy with two speed signals. Also figured out the armrest buttons and powershift stick, will post later when I’m finished with decrypting the data.

6 Likes

Hello,
I can not download the links and images of your publication.
I am told Oops! This page does not exist or is private.
is this normal.
Thank you

Hello,

I see that AOG has evolved well on the CAN BUS, I think it’s great!
I would like to know how to mount AOG on the CAN bus of a tractor. Do you have a tutorial? or the steps to take?

I know how the can bus works but I don’t really study tractors.
It would be on FENDT brand tractors.

Thank you for the work and what you accomplish!

I have been following along this thread and have a few questions.
Does this build include AOg onto the boards that are connecting to the Can or is it a AOG setup that is connected to a Can interface board? I have built a few AOg setups using PCB v2 so familiar with that but not at all with the Can stuff
If so was to tie into a 2016 NH T8 would the buttons on the armrest work to engage AOg, I see in the display the end turn on screen so maybe there is a Tue in to that as well?
The tractor is auto steer ready but has no Nav or 372 receiver on it so this Can interface would be a nice tie in, I will check the valve to see if its the PVED-CLS when it gets here.
Just trying to figure out what I need to look into on tractor and also what I would have to build for AOg stuff.
Thanks

If this is the right valve block you have, just use the small Teensy 4.1 can pcb that CommonRail linked to a few posts ago and connect it to your Canbus.

Works ok on my Fendt 828 Scr

1 Like

Is that a Can PCB in pic? What you are saying is it depends on what the valve block on steering column looks like?

I have no sense NH, but CommonRail write in inu code “Danfoss PVED-CL & PVED-CLS (Claas, JCB, Massey Fergerson, CaseIH, New Holland, Valtra, Deutz”.
PCB in the picture is a copy of the one that CommonRail has shared, nice little case, can run both USB or UDP

1 Like