CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

That should be a good CAN tractor, what model or year is it?

1 Like

My friend with the Topcon x35 Fendt has done half a day on my CAN steered 724 today for the first time. Heā€™s REALLY impressed!!

3 Likes

Model 931, year building 2010.
I think how to build a driver. I have an orginal UNO + shield can, I also have a cheap Chinese MCP2515 converter. Is it better to use PCB V2 with the entire power supply or is it enough UNO connected directly to 12V and bno 80 through resistors?

Any suggestions for a good brand of tractor regarding machine automation? Iā€™m thinking of getting a second hand (cheap) machine, that would still be usable sized and not a total disaster regarding maintenance. Would need to have a system thatā€™s possible to hack into so you can drive back & forth through CAN, steer and operate the hydraulics. My thoughts have been mainly on Valtra T162-202 or a Fendt 818-820. Maybe some MF, but never driven anything newer than a 165S :grin:. As Iā€™ve understood all the Agco brand tractors are quite ā€œopenā€. Any thoughts on New Holland in this regard?

Power supply works USB, or 12v, or PCB supply. Both the UNO shields or small MCP2515 work fine.

But you really need two CAN shields. One for steering (V-Bus), and one for engage (ISOBUS). Can use one Arduino.

Or the other way is use the Teensy4.1 then you have options for all 3 CAN networks plus UDP or USB and itā€™s 3.3v for the BNO?

Fendt is the best :joy:, but not really the 818/820 definitely not the Com2 (in regards to CAN hacking they use I think fault tolerant CAN) I have a board half made to tap into one but no time yet. Com3 should be ok thatā€™s normal, but your best in the SCR/S4 models. Can do anything you like with the Armrest.

Valtra T2, must be your favourite they are the most ISO standard I guess but you seem to cut and modify messages to operate hydraulics etc. Not sure how they respond to transmission control?

Massey, there is so many models and all slightly different in the ecuā€™s. Every day youā€™ll have a different headache lol

S4 Fendt goes bit high in price for a second machine, T2/T3 Valtras are quite affordable. Would go for another T4 but the prices for second hand machines are now the same as I paid for a new Versu 5 years ago :roll_eyes:

As for the drivetrain control, the shuttle lever on Valtra is directly hooked to the tractor ECU, and at least on the T4 the rear control shuttle lever is wired to the steering ECU, hence the rear controls send the F/N/R command to the gearbox via CAN, so it should be possible. Just would need a machine with rear controls to sniff the traffic. Option B is of course to wire some relays to replace the physical lever.

Hi @CommonRail and everybody.
IĀ“m Daniel from Germany and new here in this Forum. I saw the youtube videos from @CommonRail and then after i had commented his vids, he gave me the Link to your Thread.

Since last year IĀ“m intressted in tractor CAN BUS, and so i managed to read the canbus from Fendt and Claas Tractors with an Arduino Nano und a MCP2515 CAN Shield. On the Fendt I already use the Go and End Keys for my GPS System. But bei the Claas I canĀ“t manage itā€¦

rsz_dsc_3184

I have one Question, how to decrypt the CAN Massages from the Claas Arion 650. IĀ“m looking for the Message from the Steering key of the C-Motion Keey (Picture) Maybe anybody can help me here or have already decryptet the Claas Messages? Maybe the Claas Axion from CommonRail youtube Video have similar Messages?

Thanks for your Help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Claas

The CAN ID from our Axion for that button is: 0x18EF1CD2

1 Like

I may have missed,but what sort of price are these?

Itā€™s bit over 3keur with the SASA IID sensor, so not exactly cheap, but you get everything in one package, including the cutoff spools etc. and of course the steering controller itself.

Donā€™t know if it makes financial sense (okay, the Valtra retrofit kit was around 12keur soā€¦) but itā€™s out of professional interest also for myself trying to work out the safety features and stuff. My wife just commented watching some TV commercials that ordinary guys dish out money for stuff like 70 inch TVs or audio sets and ā€œsome othersā€ put it on electrohydraulic components :rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™d sooner watch a steering controller than tvšŸ˜‚

1 Like

tablero
fusibles
saludos greetings to all!
I have been reading these oforos for about a month with the google translator and I see that there is a very high level of knowledge of electronics.
I have requested a kit for self-guidance from Andreas which I hope will arrive soon.
I have several tractors but I would like to start with the newest one which is a Case puma from 2015. I have looked at the orbitrol and it has an eaton valve with three solenoids, I have also seen the angle sensor on the front wheels and the three cables that go to the side radiator (green, yellow and black-white). I have uncovered the fuse box but no connector is visible. I suppose that as mentioned above, the solenoids can be accessed from a socket that should be close to the fuse box.
I appreciate any information on where to look for connectors.
Thank you for the good work you are doing.
was

2021-06-10_20h28_54
Seems like Iā€™m stuck. I have installed INO from your nano drop box but it does not communicate with BNO or AGO.

BNO is Ok, but not the CAN module. Did you change the CS pin 9/10 to suit your module?

I disconnected the can module to find the problem. In the monitor BNO is Ok but ago he does not see them or rool

1 Like

I have already found a bug, I have not connected the SCK.

1 Like

The cables are probably ok but can not work. I have 8MHz quartz, there is probably a problem here ā€¦

In the ino CAN setup section just change the 16mhz to 8mhz