CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

It is probably a 12 wire connector (page 22) as it looks to be the Danfoss system.

https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/149403/BC335975558217en-000101.pdf?_ga=2.149842166.134816173.1621895748-1328665885.1621895748

Page 30 in this document show drawing of your orbitrol steering unit
https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/54116/BC152886485467en-000606.pdf?_ga=2.149908342.134816173.1621895748-1328665885.1621895748

It can be controlled by:
Direct interface to electric mini wheel, joystick and auto guidance GPS (ISO 11873 curvature command)

Most CNH machines have a wiring harness that brings all the sensors, valve controls, etc, to the NAV II or NAV III controller computer box, which is often bolted the floor of the cab, sometimes under the seat. I donā€™t have any wiring diagrams handy. Everything should be quite accessible on this harness without hacking the tractor apart. I found some wiring information from my sprayerā€™s service manual. The WAS sensor is 4 wires and goes to a gyro on my sprayer. Not really sure what kind of signal that is, whether itā€™s CAN or what.

In the PDF Iā€™ve attached, I think the first plate shows you just about everything. The steering valve coils are LH_STEER_ON/LH_STEER_GND, RH_STEER_ON/RH_STEERING_GND.
I believe on the steering valve is a master on/off valve but Iā€™m not clear on how itā€™s wired into this diagram.
output.pdf (841.0 KB)

That looks like the one @Val, do you think you can make Project 3 (Post 56) above?

With that you can manually turn the wheels with the Arduino and get the system working. From there itā€™s easy to use AgOpen via CAN.

That setup in Project 3 works on Deutz and JCB PVED-CLS without any trouble.

Today I try the project 3 with
2 x Arduino Uno
2 x CanBus Shields
1 x On/Off switch
1 x 10k Potentiometer

and it works

the next step is

2 x Arduino Nano
     2 x MCP2515
     1 x On/Off switch
     1 x 10k Potentiometer

Can I use the project 3 on a Lindner Tractor or it is just for Massey Ferguson ?

Connect both your Arduino UNOā€™s and CAN shields to the Lindner.

Arduino with pot and switch = Massey Navigation program

Arduino only CAN shield = Display AC program

The Lindner will have the same Danfoss valve as the Massey Ferguson

In the documentation from Linden we have this informations

TracLink Pilot Ready Schnittstellenbeschreibung - 2020-09-26_FR.pdf.txt (879,8 Ko)

Command Orbitrol
CAN-Configuration
250 kBaud, J1939, ExtendedID(29-bit)
Commande:
Curvature-Interface
Commande via protocile de message suivant :
GPS1_GMC 0x0CAD13F0
Retour via:
GPS1_GMS 0x0CACF013

Curvature-Info
GPS1_GMC 0x0CAD13F0
Zykluszeit min. 100ms
Sender: Auto-guidance1 controller

Definition Curvature-Retour
GPS1_GMS 0x0CACF013
Zykluszeit 100 ms
Sender : PVED-CLS Main Controller

The 0x0ā€¦ are not the same than in your the ino. It is not a problem?

In the Massey program change all the 1C to F0

The beast has arrivedšŸ™ƒ

5 Likes

To be informed, does this valve have better features than canbus for MF for example?
Or is it like the ones used by John deere with a single connector?

Itā€™s the same as many of the factory autosteer valves, works with the curvature command. You can also control the hydraulic part with analogue or direct CAN commands left/right.

1 Like

So you have the possibility of PWM and CAN, my factory valve only works with CAN and has 2 connectors, thatā€™s why I consulted (it works wonderfully with can).
Thanks for answering.

Yeah, the PVED-CLS has a built in steering controller whereas PVED-CC or PVEA-CI is a CAN valve that takes a flow & direction command. Very easy to drive with CAN board on arduino and slightly modified ino as I have now in the older Valtra with the PVG valve group.

If you already have a CAN valve I see no need to replace it with an analogue one with PWM control! Just add a can board and use what you have.

Here you can find the ino for direct CAN control of valve with just the flow commands, itā€™s working on ISOBUS PGNs, you might need to change the valve ID if your valve is using the ISO messages or then you need to dig the messages if they are of some proprietary format. The code also has a support for a CAN wheel angle sensor (Danfoss DST510 message format)

Thereā€™s some deadband testing stuff in the code that you might want to remove, needed to add it as a workaround for some hydraulic issues.

1 Like

Currently I already have it working thanks to @CommonRail , I will soon receive a new John deere combine (is ready), I will have to investigate how it comes from the factory to install AOG.
I donā€™t know if they communicate by Can Bus or by PWM.
When I have it I will investigate.

1 Like

At least on the machines I have, John Deereā€™s valves are PWM, and the sensors for wheel angle and steering wheel movement are analog. The SSU computer communicates with AutoTrac over CAN, however. Would be nice if the protocol used was deciphered. Iā€™ve figured out small parts of it, but no where close to asking the SSU to move the wheels to a certain position. I have no doubt it can be done.

2 Likes

I also got told you can buy unlocks for JohnDeere and use 3rd party steering on ISOBUS? Not sure what models and what cost tho? I donā€™t know anything about JD gear

1 Like

@Val In another search I saw this parts list for T7 tier 4B type made after 06/15

Maybe that could help finding the later service manual
Try part number cnh 47936462 or cnh 47936461 to check if they are newer than the one you already got.

Does it cost as much as how much you spent if I may ask?

If you ask me. The only one I got was for the t6 175. Price around 45 us$
Edit: and I see you can get the t7 edition 2016 for 42 $

I have a fendt 930 with factory preparation.
I will try to run it on CAN.