CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

The link contains tips on where to connect to the can in a given tractor. Download assembly instructions.
https://www.agra-gps.com/index.html

4 Likes

Hello everybody,
It seems all files uploaded to this forum before september 2021 were lost, it is possible to reupload sketch and pictures especially @CommonRail and @Alan.Webb ?
I want to try it on a Fendt 724 SCR.

I have also seen on a YT video a 3D printed box with a button that fits in the hole of the joystick of a fendt SCR to engage autosteer, somebody know where to find this file?

Thanks a lot

Hello everyone!
I have followed this topic nearly since the beginning and I am absolutely fascinated by the work of @CommonRail and all the others!
Finaly I have some time to get into it by myself.
Since now I had no experience with Arduinos and especially programming those.

Now I have a 2021 McCormick X7.440 tractor, autosteer ready with Danfoss CAN-bus steering valve.
I have connected the ā€œmassey-test setupā€ (Arduino UNO with pot/switch with ā€œMassey_Working_Code_V2ā€ plus second UNO with ā€œMassey_CAN_DisplayAC_V2ā€ for watching the action) to the valve bus via the roof mounted antenna wiring harness.

First issue was that I had to change ā€œCSā€ from pin 10 to 9 in the sketch because of my CAN-Bus shield.

After that the serial monitor showed the filtered CAN-Data.

When I now activate the the steering valve, the serial monitor looks somehow correct. It shows the altering ā€œCurrent Curveā€ when I turn the steering wheel and I am able to get the valve status to ā€œAuto Steeringā€ by shifting the switch.
But the only issue is: I donā€™t get any reaction by the steering if I turn the potentiometer even though the serial monitor of the pot/switch UNO shows the pot. value changing from 0 to 2000.

Might there be some different code required? I thought it would all be ā€œDanfoss-Standardā€ when the Massey program is showing something! :wink:

I hope you could help me out!

Greetings from the middle of Germany!

Iā€™m not sure how McCormick is wired up but just from reading your post sounds like the valve is good but your just missing power on the pilot valve (coil on the steering orbital).

Did you have a wiring diagram for your tractor?

Before in this message chain there has at least been the issue of trying to steer via potentiometer while being stationary. You might only have the wheels actually turning if you have some minimum speed.

1 Like

Thank you! Just driving forward sorted it out!
That was too easyā€¦:smile:

3 Likes

Hi. Sorry been working away so not easy to get at my files. Which files specifically are you after? I might have some of themā€¦

@Alan.Webb
I need the files to use with arduino uno
I want to test in a Fendt SCR and I have also a MF for testing a few days.

For the fendt, you still plug wires into the socket or you have now the correct plug ?

Thanks.

Iā€™ll fix everything up for the Fendt project (post 24, project 2).

Post 56, project 3 should work on the MF and I think the links & files are fixed there.

Is it possible to use the CMPS14 IMU instead of the adafruit BNO085 with the ā€œValtra-Arduino Codeā€?

I am a bit frustrated by the fact that the adafruit chip isnā€™t available anywhere before aprilā€¦
Makes starting of the whole Agopen-thing a bit difficultā€¦

For testing you can use the sockets. My installation uses the plug in the roof. Steer ready tractors should have the soclet and plug in the roof. The socket will have just one or two pins in it but you can fully populate the socket and use it for AOG.

Top right on my temporary setup here.

3 Likes

Yes just plug the CMPS in if thatā€™s what you have, it will work just like the standard AgOpen and automatically find BNO or CMPS

Hello, does the Teensy 4.1 code also work on the Arduino Uno, or only on the Teensy 4.1 board? I would now like to drive via UDP. I have another ethernet shield for UNO, could that work with it?

No, if you want to use UDP it will be much better to just build a Teensy PCB like I have and use that. The UNO is just too small to run both CAN & UDP.

I think the correct files are now back in post 24, project 2 for the Fendt.

1 Like

Hello,
iā€™m experimenting with the CANBUS of my plough to eventually try to make plough control.
My plough is controlled with an R360 system. I have managed to read the can messages and find the ID.
Now iā€™m trying to send a message with the "ISOCAN_EstCurve_Generatorā€™ā€™ that i have modified. I find out that it doesnā€™t work with extended ID, but already changed the 1 in 0 in the message.
I can send the data from one Arduino to the other, but if i turn on my ploughā€™s control box the INT-led from the MCP 2515 lights up and a canā€™t send a message anymore.
Sorry for my poor English and explanation, but can anyone help me with this?

@Alan.Webb ooh itā€™s beautiful !

@CommonRail thanks for fixing the files, Iā€™ve downloaded them, I need to rewire my parts and I will try.

Can someone please add a boom- and cpl-file for the PCB from CommonRail?

1 Like

I finaly got the system working via CAN!

Agopen ist steering the McCormick pretty well.
The only issue is: It does only work if in the steering settings ā€œSteer Enableā€ is set to ā€œNoneā€. Then steering can only be started form the screen button, as it should be.

If I switch that to ā€œButtonā€, the tractor has no steering reaction anymore. Activation via CAN Bus tractor buttons does not work here too. I guess I have to spy out the McCormick CAN massage for the steering buttons?

I hope to get some help from you!

Thatā€™s good AgOpen steers the McCormick. I do not know the engage message from the McCormick so you will have to spy for that. If ā€œbuttonā€ is selected you can use CAN (if you find the correct message) or a button fitted to the Arduino/Teensy