CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Hi. I presume you have @CommonRail teensy PCB. To connect this to a CLAAS tractor you connect CAN3 to the tractor steering bus and CAN1 to the tractor bus. both these are available at the 6 pin connector on the ATP controller in the floor or right side of seat. I have worked out the sequence 1 and 2 buttons for a stage5 Arion but i think the earlier models have different messages, at least the 950 A23 is different from what i found. If your 870 serial starts with A51 then my adaption of Tonys code should work. There is also some wiring to modify (bridge some wires in a connector) and change a parameter in the steering valve to make the steering work.

Thanks for the info, it starts with A41, do you think it’ll make a difference?
First thing first, I’m still working on getting things working, I’ll get back to the headland thing when I’m running.

I’m not sure if it will be different. Work on getting the steering working. I hope I can get my hands on a A41 in the next few weeks and will have a look for the message data.

Which can bus transceiver to you use on your pcb? I can’t find any schematic? Thx

I use the MCP 2515.

MCP2562 is used on the PCB

1 Like

@rikko , @RGM Is this the plug I’m looking for ?

Helpfully, it’s not colour coded - does anyone know which wire is CAN high and which is CAN low ?

Yes that is the plug. Just remember is you remove the terminator to make sure you have another one in your wiring. Some can shields have one on the board.
Pin A = HI
Pin B = Lo

I used the DS3 socket near cab floor but RGM sounds like he has more idea than me in any case !

Can High = Yellow as the sun
Can Low = Green as the grass

1 Like

It’s a great mnemonic, it’s just a shame JCB don’t utilise it - they just love the colour yellow as in every wire !

Hi Moren, I have checked the headland management button message on an A41 and it’s the same as the Axion A23 so just need to edit the message data in the ino and then AOG can press these buttons for you.

Great, thanks. Then I just need to know where I can find the modified .ino. Will it work with the newest release 5.6.2?

I can send my ino but it’s for AOG 5.5. It’s @CommonRail teensy can ino with the CLAAS button messages. @CommonRail do you have an version for AOG 5.6 yet?

5.5 code works with 5.6, only the minor new features don’t work in AgIO. Like setting IP address via AgIO and the green steering icon to tell you steering module is connected etc.

AgOpenGPS 5.5 & 5.6 in terms of steering are exactly the same, just changes in AgIO.

I should update the GitHub code with these add ons, @RGM Claas headland code, and the improved IMU/GPS code.

Hello,

A few questions, sorry for my bad English:

• Are they MCP2562FD-E/P? they are not in the partlist.
  • What is the CMS slot for?
  • What are Jumpers for?

• Yes MCP2562
  • Empty SMD part is only protection diode that is not needed
  • Jumper are to connect or disconnect the CAN terminator resistor if needed or not
2 Likes

@RGM
I have the factrac steering now with the steering CAN - now i’d like to integrate it into the joystick.

Where do connect into the main factrac CAN and what do I need in the .ino ?

You don’t need the Fastrac can. The engage message is on the steering can. Just configure the joystick button for steering engage in jcb screen and it should work. What ino are you using?

Great, I’ll have a play. I thought I’d need some extra code in Tony’s ino but if the engage is via steering can then that will not be needed.