CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Yes,it was the only place I could see a baud rate.

please take a picture of your setup

had the john deere mechanic here today and immediately asked about canbus. he didnā€™t really want to tell much about it because I donā€™t think he knew it all himself. but he said that there were probably 4 canbus systems in it.

1. vehicle - CANBUS. - LOW 2.38v HIGH 2.38v
  2. implement - CANBUS - LOW 2.52v HIGH 2.52v
  3. gps - CANBUS
  4. armrest operation - LINBUS - 8v and used 1 wire for communication.

maybe you can do something with this information

From what I can tell the GPS system uses the implement bus. In fact even though there are two CAN bus pairs in the harness from the pillar to the monitor, only one of those is required to make the monitor, GPS, and autosteer function. And if you have the isobus terminator on the back of the tractor fail, GPS and steering fail as well.

Also the monitor displays tractor information like fuel flow and ground speed (from the transmission or radar system), so somewhere in the cab a ECU is picking up tractor information from the vehicle bus and dumping it on the implement bus.

The SSU must be on both the implement and vehicle buses somehow. It refuses to engage steering if the transmission shifts into neutral, etc. Some day Iā€™d like to spend some time figuring out the messages to the SSU. Would be wonderful to plug in AOG and have it drive a Deere via CAN.

On my 7920 I know the armrest (ACU) communicates with the rest of the tractor over CAN as well. Not sure which bus this would be. Not the implement bus.

hello, does anyone know these sockets on an NH T7 290HD which is pre-fitted.
Is it possible to hook up there ?

Hi,

Did you manage to find the Canbus?

Which wires did you use?

Hello,

Iā€™m not sure this is the right thread, but my question concerns CANbus.
I want to send PAOGI over CANbus from my DualAntenna PCB to a CANBus to UART transceiver.
The hardware is working, the only remaining part is the software to act as a proxy between the UART to CANBus.
Does any have the code to parse the PAOGI and send it over CANbus?
Thanks

Hi again. I need some more help, I have an arduino running Tonyā€™s Valtra sketch connected to Canbus on my steer ready MF 6616, and AOG recognizes it as autosteer controller. It gives me a correct angle from the WAS, but I cannot steer the tractor with it. With the Massey test sketch and a pot connected to the arduino, I can steer just fine. Do I need to change something in the sketch? I have CS set to pin 9, and INT to pin 2. Iā€™m rather new to arduino, so I might be missing something obvious. Thanks for any help.

I assume you have had AgOpen before and know how that works? Active AB line etc

Next would be your steer switch option, what have you selected there? Do you have a button connected or trying to use the factory button?

This is my first AOG project so Iā€™m learning as I go. But yes, I have an active AB line. When I press the red button in the lower right corner, it turns green.
I selected button in autosteer setup. But I donā€™t have a physical button connectedā€¦ do I need a switch on A1, same as the test sketch?

Which board are you using? What Arduino ?

Photo of the board might be useful

Here is the board, with and without canbus shield

Connect a push button between D6 and GND and see what happens

I have the same problem. Did you solve it? I bought everything on the list and now itā€™s uselessā€¦

What are you trying to do? Will post 24 & 56 give you enough information?

Hi Tony!
Iā€™m just trying to figure out about can bus. I have Challanger tractor and it has auto pilot hardwere in it. I was happy as a pig to know that it possible to connect it to AOG.

I decided to follow your projects step by step but the files from first project arenā€™t available.

Iā€™ll try to do projects 2 and 3. But could you advise me please where can I find Challanger(AGCO) software to download on a arduino?

There is no Challanger files to download, youā€™ll need to figure it out. Start with the Massey Ferguson version and if that donā€™t work we try another way.

Just reading all messages on the all the CANā€™s and post a .txt file (copy paste serial monitor to notepad) will help workout what valve type and what messages itā€™s looking for would be a start.

Itā€™s working now. Thanks a bunch for the help. On to the next questionā€¦ Iā€™d like to build a teensy board, which version are guys using for canbus only? Using one f9p and a Bno085. Is the all in one the best, or is there a simpler option?

1 Like

Iā€™d use Tonyā€™s CANBUS board for CANBUS-only. Iā€™ve got both here, Tonyā€™s is way more compact and simple than AIO

Thank you!