CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Below a clean picture of the Steering Pump + Valve and the hydraulic schema from the service manual of the TG285.

I can see that the steering valve is not controlled by any solenoid / controller, but by oil pressure and springs, so I guess we can deduct that it can’t be piloted by the CanBus (used in this tractor to manage communications with ECU for Transmission, Hitch, Remotes and PTO…but not steering).

Do you agree ?

if yes, then I will revert to a more classic steering motor solution, without CanBus.

I think you meant controlled by steering wheel. The double lines in the schematic represent the mechanical shaft that the steering wheel turns. You’ll have to add an electric valve in parallel with the hand pump.

1 Like

Yes thanks for the clarification on the meaning of the double line, so yes, direct steering wheel input on the valve. I will go on the AOG project with steering motor on this one. Thanks !

Hello @CommonRail

i have a Massey fergusson 7499. i have found the canbus for the valve and anglesensor.
the local mf dealer told me it maybe needed to be activated for autosteering?

do i need them to calibrate something before it will work ?
or is it just plough and play?

Plug it in and try if it doesn’t work investigate more. You’ll need to turn a factory switch on in the cabin to make the valve work.

@CommonRail seams not to work. i have a canbus reader. which canbud ID should i investigate?

Which PCB is best for my assembly. Could I use the armrest button to activate the GPS?

Have you got a AgOpen board connected? If so edit the code to send AD132C rather than AD131C.

The valve is thinking the steering controller ID is 2C, it’s normally 1C.

Two ways is to change the AgOpen code witch is much easier or change the valve parameters.

What board / code are you using?

Look at the link from @Larsvest in post 1093, your valve is not CANBUS.

Any standard AgOpen PWM board will work.

OK, I don’t know which pcb to take. I want a tht. I would like it to disengage when I turn the steering wheel.

i do a little development of my own.
are you saying my danfoss valve is not canbus but pwm?

we are using the code from here
Codes.zip (4.7 KB)

should this work @CommonRail

i use the liberies from here: https://github.com/MechanicTony/AOG_CAN_Uno_Nano/blob/main/Valtra/Autosteer_USB_CANBUS_Valtra_08.01.2023.zip

if i read the can messeges i get these data.
nothing seams to make sense compared to the coding provided from other agopen projects.

Mappe1.xlsx (346.9 KB)

Your valve is canbus. Early MF tractors were set for the 2C guidance system address. They later changed them to 1C. You could get the dealer to update the parameters in the valve with wintest then the standard ino code would work. While they are updating the parameters they should calibrate the valve and WAS.

1 Like

Hello,

I have one question regarding the CANBUS on Claas 630 Arion.
I searches through this thread but with no luck.
So to get to the main point the tractor is Claas arion 630 and I don`t know if it is steer ready or not. How can I check that?
Is it possible to steer it via CANBUS?
If it is where should I connect the can lo and can hi?

Thank you!

i have changed that in the software and now i am reading the angle sensor. thanks. next step is to let it turn left and right…

To determine if your tractor is steer ready, check if it has a rocker switch with steering icon in side console. If it has this then it should be steer ready. Depending on the age of your 630 there can be different ways to connect to the steering can so I recommend to make a breakout harness that connects between the autopilot (A009/ATP) module in the floor cavity on right hand side of seat.

Thank you for the information.

If it is not steer ready it can not be used to steer via canbus?
Is it possible to get the WAS reading from the canbus if there is no autosteer module?

If the tractor is not streer ready it probably does not have WAS either

If it’s not steer ready then Arion doesn’t have a WAS, also without the ATP there is no steering canbus.
Non steer ready Axion do have a WAS for 4wd and difflock kickout so on these you MAY be able to get was on the tractor canbus but you would have to figure out the can message and you definitely won’t steer a non steer ready machine unless you fit a valve.

1 Like

@RGM thanks for your help.

sending command turn to 5 degre or -5 degre works now.
i just changed the 2C instead of 1C.

do you know if New Holland Need unlock before it can steer by wire?
it is a 2020 model T7.