CanBus for Beginners - Super Simple

Had you seen what @pauluzs wrote in a previous thread: list of interesting PGNshttps://assets.danfoss.com/documents/53748/BC152886483811en-000201.pdf

(I do not find how to refer to a thread in Discourse…)
Danfoss publish very valuable doc!
More on PVED / CANBUS
https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/149583/BC187186484889en-000106.pdf

Yea he had this link https://www.isobus.net/isobus/pGNAndSPN it is OK for few hints of what to look for in general ISO-BUS stuff.

With the steering side of things there is the two Danfoss books:

These do have what is going on in the standard Danfoss PVED-CL (the steering controller version)

The PVED-CC is just a spool valve operator version, like the remote valves on the back of some tractors.

why not use a complementary filter or maybe kalman to smooth the set point?

from Wilfried Voos J1939 book:

More specific to CAN vs J1939:

Arbitration field is 32 bits as Identifier is 11+18= 29 bits (In CAN 2.0B)

I liked the idea of using the already present system in AOG. I didn’t see the point of making a third type of system? Direct setpoint is too aggressive with AOG so my next point of call was the existing system. Seems to work very VERY well! Maybe i’ll test something else some time but making sure activation and deactivation exactly as I want it is next. along with adding the IMU.

3 Likes

No, massive wheel rut in the field that was totally invisible in the dark! It threw the tablet onto the floor!

A little background:
I am (very) familiar with electronics. I read every PVED document i found, even before i came across this forum.
So far i disconnected the steering valve from v-bus and directly connect it to my laptop. Works but ECU will throw errors for not beeing able to see the valve, no autosteer, … Same for steering angle sensor.
My solution: reprogrammed mileage can-filter for cars, to be able to “disconnect” valve from vbus and keep ECU satisfied with fake status messages. Autosteer/steering wheel has higher priority and is able to take over at any time.
I was not able to get it working by acting as navigation controller and sending curvature data.

tldr:
Im mainly interrested in Fendt. Some kind of automatic windrow alignment.
questions: Where did you find information about navigation controller?
Information about bits/bytes in data packet. why only 6 bytes?

Which Fendt do you have?
The V-Bus method works on my 724SCR and also on a 2010 820.

700 SCR and S4, 1000 S4
I only had my code runnings with information gathered out of danfoss documents.
Yet to test @CommonRail sketch.

1 Like

Fendt don’t use a Danfoss PVED-CL that’s why it doesn’t work with Danfoss information, to be honest I’m not 100% what Danfoss type it is but it’s only a spool valve really and not a steering controller so wouldn’t expect it to deal with curve commands

What mileage CAN-filters are you using and how did you reprogram them?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32841224581.html
STM32F105 with 2 transceivers und voltage regulation ready to go.
Make sure to remove/add termination resistors accordingly.

I had one in my hand a few days ago. … in fact I’ve got the old one i think.

The one on the 820 has been superseded but the new style didn’t fit! Fouled pipework.

Nice. Did you program them with the STM plugin stuff for Arduino IDE? What CAN libraries did you use? How did you interface the programmer? ISP?

I use SW4STM32 and SWDIO
At least back when i startet, Arduino didnt support CAN on STM32F103 (Blue Pill) out of the box. (pins and interrupts are shared with USB). Dont know if Arduino supports the STM32f105 at all.

The Fendt 820 we’ve been repairing uses a PVED-CC S4.

What Fendt sent as a superseded component looked more like a PVE S7. Amp connectors relocated closer to the mating surface and won’t fit an 820.

Too bad. Those filter modules would be ideal for many things. Guess I’ll stick with teensy and Due for now.

1 Like

Good to know, the model - CC is just the spool valve operator (no steering man inside there)

The danfoss part number for the 820 one is 157B4943. The 724SCR has a different Fendt part number and is on the orbital unit, but looks the same.

724 Danfoss

1 Like