Dual GPS PCB v1.3

Looks good. Did you keep the mount holes the same spacing ?

1 Like

Yes, havenā€™t touched the PCB itself (size/ 4 outer holes).
Just placed the w5500.
Added a screw terminal for the WiFi reset button (@MTZ8302)
Changed the pins for the header so there is the SDA/scl lines, 5v and gnd.
Changed the tx/Rx lines for both f9p. So should fit with Matthias code now.

@MTZ8302 wants 2 extra pins for a rs232 port.
@Jhmach wants only holes for the radio?
Have to look for thisā€¦

2 Likes

Not sure what other people do for fusing. Ive been an automotive style fuse block in my swiftnav boxes.
be nice to have something integrated onto PCB

1 Like

That looks great. There wont be room for the radio holes, but that is not a problem at all.
Would you just put a 5v and ground from the regulator so I can power the radio ?
I ordered v1.2, but now have no intention of using them. If you could add the rs232 pins for Matthias and the 5v and ground for me, I will get these coming right away.
Thanks for your efforts, Benjamin

sounds good will we be able to run single gps through ethernet on this board?

Yep, according to Matthias, his code is good for 1 or 2, but I think you still have to use esp32 regardless.

1 Like

Ok. Think itā€™s possible. Will try to implement it as soon as possible :wink:

For 5v and gnd, do you want screw terminals?
Or is this ok?

Than there is already H1 connector. With gnd v5 and V3,3.

Just a quick note: Place the W5500 a little bit to the side, so that you can plug USB to the ESP. Iā€™ve made the same mistake on my PCB. I canā€™t plug in USB for debugging with a serial monitor when the W5500 is connected to the PCB. So its very hard to find out whats the problem, if something isnā€™t working.

Oh yes. Good point :+1:

1 Like

No, if H1 has it, that will work fine.

1 Like

Maybe H1 could have Tx and Rx for Radio? Just a thought. then it could be plugged in

That would be great. I emailed ardusimple about which pin goes to TX of xbee socket,(which is really rx), and this is what they sent

• TX1: ZED-F9P UART1 TX
  • RX1: ZED-F9P UART1 RX
  • TX2: XBee UART TX (this pin is also connected to ZED-F9P UART2 RX).
  • RX2: XBee UART RX (this pin is also connected to ZED-F9P UART2 TX).
    Is it the rx2 of the main header ?

For which radio? Just any tx/Rx? Than the rs232 for Matthias should also work fine, or? At the moment it is pin 32 and 33 of esp.
Screenshot_20210328-074447

I only would add another gnd and 3,3v.

It would be good to move the right screw hole for the F9P. Should be 1.5mm set back, otherwise it will not fit ardusimple plate.

What is the purpose of dual GPS? What does it give me? This question has probably been asked before. sorry. I could not find it in the past.

Whenever a tractor goes over bumps the GPS receiver on the roof moves side to side quite a bit. When youā€™re dealing with RTK, this can throw off your track quite a bit. This needs to be corrected for. Really we want to know what the position of the axle is closer to the ground, rather than up high on the cab. There are two methods for doing this.

One is to measure the roll angle of the tractor using an IMU (accelerometer and gyro usually), and then mathematically adjust the GPS position down to the axle using that roll angle. This also requires knowing an accurate heading also.

The second way is to have two receivers on the roof of the tractor. Then as the tractor pitches over the bumps, we can get a very accurate measurement of the roll angle and heading by comparing the two receiversā€™ GPS positions, accurate to a couple of cm. Then we can do the same correction to extrapolate a GPS position of the axle itself. The ZED-F9P has a mode where two receivers can talk to each other to generate the roll angle and accurate heading.

3 Likes

It has to be the rx2 from pvt f9p. But I donā€™t fully understand, with ardusimpleā€™s messed up way of labeling, if its tx2 or rx2. I think tx2 by what they sent in response that I posted earlier.
For my setup I have 5v and ground, plus the tx from the radio to the xbee tx pin, thatā€™s all. That is already on the f9p, so itā€™s not a problem to connect, but I understand, Fritz is wanting to have a single plug connection.

thank you so much. When we compare the cmps14 sensor with dual GPS, which one do you think it makes sense to use. There is a lot of difference in terms of price.

Screenshot (51)

does this help

If the CMPS14 works as well as everyone hopes, then for most people thatā€™s the way to go. Itā€™s a simpler solution.