Dual GPS setups

Heii Darren,

Which dual GPS Setup do you use? The Code from MTZ8302 with the ESP32?
So you have nothing change than WiFi disable at the Code?
Regards, Peter

Bit more info on my more recent setup,

I think will soon be able to replace the TTL-UDP server with direct ethernet support in ESP from Matt, but until then, works great and means no more wifi.

More info in my thread:

PXL_20210110_130453456

3 Likes

Is there a Gerber file for Andaesā€™ dual board, so I can get them in the US ?
I have my tablet on a dock with several USB hubs and ethernet. I want a flat dual setup to mount on the back of my dock

1 Like

You may alternatively use the y cable version for the pixhaw plugs. Search, itā€™s here in the forum

Ya, I thought about it, but I like the idea of having it all on a board, so I can just plug modules in if they fail. I think the pcb will take the vibration and bouncing better. I guess I could just attach to a project board or make one out of plastic sheet. Like most of us, its about available time. Thanks Matthias

new beta Version for the ESP32 dual code on GitHub: supports Ethernet, NTRIP client, multiple WiFi networks. With this you can connect to mobile phone hotspot and transfer data to AOG via USB, WiFi or ethernet. Give a try and report

https://github.com/mtz8302/AOG_GPS_ESP32/tree/beta-Ethernet%2C-NTRIP-client%2C-multiple-WiFi-networks/AOG_GPS_ESP32

1 Like

Hello, sounds great i will try it as soon as possible. Which ethernet shield is recommended?
Screenshot_20210116_213930
Love it!! I will report.

Regards, Peter

1 Like

I tested 3 shields but the only one I got to run was the w5500 that is designed for 3,3V.The pins are the normal SPI config: MOSI23 MISO19 CLK18 CS5

The original Arduino Ethernet shield 2 didnā€™t work also another one in uno format. Might be a 5V problem

1 Like

Anyone ever encountered the issue of short but complete signal loss with the now ā€œoldā€ dual gps setup? :slight_smile:

Got the ā€œstack versionā€ of two f9ps and esp32 running and connected via wifi/udp to a rut230 (for mobile connection etc.). Autosteer-Arduino connected via ethernet cable/udp to the rut230 and AgOpen running on a Chuwi ubook tablet, connect via wifi to the rut230.
F9Ps running at 10 Hz and tablet seems to keep up pretty good. RTK. All good.
WebUI shutting down after 1min.

When driving on an open field, suddenly ā€œno gps, iā€™m lostā€. Sometimes its back immediately, sometimes it needs 10, 20, 30 secsā€¦
Already thought of maybe a timeout/wifi lost-based problem.
But so far no events in the event log of the router.
Switched the esp32. First one i bought seemd to be very ā€œcost efficientlyā€ build. :smiley:
Still looses it completely sometimes. (Sometimes: ~3 times an hour.)

Should i try the new config? Maybe hard wiring everything is the answer ? Hmmā€¦
Ill try some other workarounds/possibilities the next days to find the bug in my setup, but maybe someone already had a similar issue.

Hi, I had the same problem, ā€œI m lostā€ one second every around 40 second. So Iā€™m back to USB.

1 Like

In the 2020 season I also found it was completely lost once about a few hours and I had to restart. Only few times I noticed momentary glitches, now that you say it. Similar primitive setup.
This experience is still with some early code of Matthias from march or april, so I was thinking this was to blame.

1 Like

Has anyone else had any success getting an RTK fix over ethernet? That is, sending the RTCM via the ethernet also?

Seems to be a timing issue. Other reported too. No idea at the moment, but Iā€™m searching

Interestingā€¦

Not sure if its related, but maybeā€¦

I have noticed if i stop the NTRIP client, and even if i disconnect it from the networkā€¦the ESP continues to receive NTRIP packets in the serial monitor (debug mode-on) for 10 or so seconds after its stopped? Is something getting delayed / building up on the ESP maybe? Seems strange, once stopped, it starts immediately when i re-start NTRIP client, but again when i stop it, I get many messages after on the ESP until it stops and times outā€¦

Short feedback to my problem above:
Went back to usb the next day, perfect. Runs like a charm, Even with ā€œoldā€ version. Octobre2020.
Have to say: BIG THANKS for all the effort that went into this piece of software!

Wondering the other day if some of you ever tried to not only use gps data for aog
but also for an implement? For example build RMC,GSA and send it through a seperate gate from esp to an implement controller. Like one of those amatrons or cci terminals. :thinking:

1 Like

Does it need to be AOG that forwards NMEA to an implement controller. Wouldnā€™t a simple serial port splitter app be sufficient. Reads the port from a GNSS receiver to AOG and forwards the same content to another serial port that feeds Amatron+ or similar implement controllers?

Probably a cleaner solution if AOG did that but Iā€™m always concerned about the SW implementation work load and the priorities between nice features.

Yes, doesnt need to be AOG. As i wrote above, just another gate from the ESP for the implement.

First steps seem to be promising. Since all 3 UARTs are ā€œat useā€ i rewired the TX2 from ESP to a MAX3232-Chip and went back with a ā€œRS232 to USBā€-Cable into Laptop. At this point getting GPS Data from 2 serial ports. Wuuh. :slight_smile: One could be for AOG, one for implement.

But all this ā€œtinkeringā€ is based on my assumption that TX2 isnt used somewhere else. Searched the whole program, couldnt find any point of useā€¦ I am only sitting at my desk here, realworld might be different.

(Got inspired when @MTZ8302 wrote that it isnt necessary to wire TX2 (right f9p) ā†’ RX2 (left f9p))

1 Like

We had this idea also some time before. The code for it is not done.
Two points: the baudrate has to fit ESP32 to RS232 to other termin and same baudrate ESP32 to F9P.
2. challange: the data must be send in the correct timming e.g. 5Hz.

So maybe doable, but not very easy

1 Like

Having a specific case here, with a cci terminal.
Baudrate can be edited at the terminal but cant check right now what range. Unfortunately not having it at hand yet. Hopefully it is capable of 115200 baudrate. That would erase point one.
Point 2: yes. saw that in the manual. As you said: ā€œDoableā€ā€¦ weā€™ll see :smiley:

Did you start building some other messages ? And maaaaybe be comfortable sharing it ? :innocent: :sweat_smile: So i can copycat a bit of it. :innocent:

Thanks allready for pointing out the critical areas. :handshake:

Hello everyone, I am thinking of such a configuration for my rover vehicle. Have a mistake? And I would appreciate it if you answer a few questions.
1-) Do i need cmps14 or bno085 when i install this system?
2-) If I donā€™t need it, can I provide a better orientation if I wear cmps 14 anyway?

conf