Dual GPS setups

If you put your antennas in line with travel direction you will need to add something for roll most likely. Will be much happier if you put them on each side, you will have heading and roll. However you will need to add a ESP32 to your setup to communicate with AOG. Andreas is working with another dual board(ByNav) that, if I’m not mistaken, will communicate with AOG without additional processor, but he is not done testing yet.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response, I’m sorry because my English is bad, I’m drawing the figure, is this configuration correct? If true, which of the antennas (blite-simplertk) should be on the right or left? Does it matter?
Yours truly.

blite

This looks good, but I think the blite dual setup only outputs UBX, so it will not communicate with AOG without ESP32 or other processor between blite and pc to parse the message to NMEA. There are some other discussions on here that talk about that. Might take a little reading to get details.

I was sorry, I ordered it, it was bad, I did not want to use ESP, I wish I had done more research.

Thank you again.

I would avoid using the simpleRTK2Blite, it is limited in connectivity options and is more expensive. Also, do we have experience receiving RTCM through the Xbee socket? Is this compatible with the Mathias setup?

Unfortunately I have no experience, I missed a lot because my English is bad. If I saw negativity about Blite I wouldn’t order it, there must be another way of that. : (

Not familiar with the dual antenna options but I thought SimpleRTK2Blite was neat for that application as you can simply stack the two receivers, the Blite on top of the “standard” SimpleRTK2B.

Ardusimple support site should be able to help with the details if not obvious.

1 Like

cci

Just a sneak preview but dual GPS via RS232 to CCI seems “doable”. :smiley:
Bit buggy. Signalquality seems odd but hey…
Field testing to come.

So far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Screenshot_20210311-202654_Chrome
Matthias, is this the same ? It says its w5500, 3.3 volt, spi.

looks good

Hello. Can I convert the UBX format to NMEA for the heading and roll from the simplertk2b Lite board?

@whiterose @MTZ8302 @NorthernFarmer

I have a Ardusimple + Ardusimple Lite working in a dual GPS setup. I would not recommend it. It’s expensive and doesn’t perform well.

Currently, I am working on dual GPS using Sparkfun F9P boards. I hoped to release the files this winter yet… They are working real well, and the whole kit as small as you will find it. NTRIP client included, using another ESP32. At some point I want to move the NTRIP onto the primary ESP32 as posted above.

2 Likes

What kind of performance issue did you notice? And where did you buy the Sparkfun modules, where I spot them they seem to be around EUR 40 more expensive than the SimpleRTK2B?

I live in the US, so the shipping is the biggest cost difference. Ardusimple shipping costs to US are substantial. The Sparkfun F9P can be bought:

A photo might show how miserable the Ardusimples were to hook together.
WIN_20210315_17_48_22_Pro
I used Ardusimple’s NTRIP XBEE board, since AOG NTRIP doesn’t work with our local RTK station. The XBEE board pulls too much power to be placed on the BLite, so I had to buy another XBEE adapter to add on top of the main Ardusimple. The Ardusimple BLite UART mapping disagreed with the main Ardusimple UART mapping, so I had to cut some pins and patch a jumper in from the main Ardusimple to the XBEE port on the Lite. I also ended up getting Pixhawk connectors to connect the Ardusimples to an ESP32 for the dual heading.

So after I had all this together and in the field, the GPS signal would occasionally shoot off into the distance, but come back on track within milliseconds. This made the tool line painting in AOG look stupid, and affected the steering a little bit besides. Since I moved to Sparkfun F9P and a solid PCB to plug into, that all went away.

1 Like

I use your code (January release) with dual antenna, esp32, wifi udp. Work perfectly :sunglasses:. Just a little “bug” when I have internet problem I’ve got black screen during few seconds. I think there is a little problem when the esp doesn’t receive ntrip correction.

IMG_4049
IMG_4052
Am trying to load Matthias’ latest code for dual with udp, and hit a wall.
I loaded the esp8266 files suggested for NodeMCU, but file wont verify. It keeps giving the error in the top picture. I tried the code that I am currently running, and it does the same. Tried selecting different modules, and am sure that must be the problem, but have ran out of ideas.
This is the esp32 i bought to use on Benjamin’s current v1.3 dual GPS pcb.

have you tried to install this? or if it is installed you should lead the way.

Yes. If I verify in that library, esp32 wrover module, it verifies, but wont connect to nodemcu

dev?

dddd Uploading: dddd.jpg…

Tried it earlier and got errors, but tried it now at your request, and it loaded fine. Thanks

1 Like