Improved konfiguration files for f9p with firmware 1.13

Once your base surveys in, make sure to write down the coordinates, and lock them into memory manually.

If your Base coordinates in the F9P/Emlid do not change and your physical mount point is exactly the same year to year. You will not experience any drift or position jumps year to year.

For pass to pass all you need is relative accuracy to the base itself, so even if the base coordinates are not 100% accurate. Your rover in relation to that base will still be 7mm+1mm/km.

For your base and rover to have absolute accuracy you have to log your position, then send the file in for post processing to find the absolute position. Not needed unless surveying.

The problem with SBAS is dependant on service RTX and SF3 are both Satellite Based Augmentation Systems too. But usually the free SBAS have one major flaw the measurements are taken in one location and sent to the satellite to be broadcast for all of north america for example. This general a correction is not very accurate. Unless you are the guy lucky enough to be living next to where those measurements are taken.

When I lent my friend my Emlid M2 he ran it without corrections for one day. The results were suprising it had less pass to pass error than using Waas corrections. The M2 has an F9P chip, but has an easier user interface and you can send it corrections directly from your iphone from a cellular base.

With this new config once we upload to the F9P there is no need for any other changes correct essentially plug and play with AOG? Just select proper com port and go?

Thanks for this mate. I ended up updating firmware and loading the 1.13 10Hz config file and it works fantastic. If it ain’t broke…

I can’t recall how many sats on the emlid exactly, but it was an L1 system in a challenging environment. Just found that QZSS always had the highest SNR and the rest often had a poor SNR. Hence, L2 ardusimple. Works really well.

The performance difference between L1 and L1/L2 ublox is remarkable.

I started with 2 Emlid M+ they were a neat toy, but took too much time to fix.

But the M2/F9P fixes in seconds, and holds that fix extremely well.

I am building an external receiver with the betian 4820 antenna. This antenna is getting 4-6 sats over 45db in the house. Strong argument for short antenna cable runs, and external recievers. Much less loss just sending data back into the cab.

1 Like

Was having trouble getting RTK fix, the posted settings at the beginning fixed everything.
Thank goodness the world is filled with people a lot smarter than I.
Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi

Im using the Ardusimple boards with LR XBEE radios. I got them preconfigured from Ardusimple. They worked great, quick to get RTK fix, however the steering motor moved in pulses much like in this thread: Steer motor pulsing/running on off

I therefore installed the configuration file from this thread: Ublox F9P - Config for rover (I did not find this thread until afterwards) This meant that I was only able to get GPS fix. I even tried to install the configuration files for both rover and base from Ardusimples website, but with no luck. On both the base and the rover I get a solid light in “No RTK” and blink in “GPS fix”, nothing in either “XBEE>GPS” or “GPS>XBEE”.

Will an update to firmware 1.13 and installing the configuration files from this thread solve the problem or do I have to turn the XBEE on myself?

Unfortunately, I am not on the farm right now, so I can’t test it straight away.

I General I think the Lora files from ardusimple work with 1 hertz update rate - means 1 position per second.

For autosteer we need at least 8 better 10 hertz.

At my rover config all messages from ublox are turned off.
So no information is shown in u-center because ubx messages flood the usb for agopengps.

Only Gga and vtg are active.

1 Like

I am also using the XBEE radios and I had difficulty’s getting the XBEE to communicate properly with the Aortner config file., You do need to find the ports menu and change the uart 2 to output the proper signal (I cant remember what the prefix is, RTCM5???) on the base and the input on uart 2 to the same on the rover.
But even after playing the UARTS I could only get the 2 to communicate using the config file that the Ardusimple post on there web site. I do believe that when you update to the 1.13 it outputs the 10 hertz needed for the AOG.

Rover Position output rate 5Hz or 10hz is fine, but you might as well use 10hz if you can because it is better to have more resolution at the Rover if you can get it.

Corrections over Lora; ARP coordinates never change once the base is set so 0.1hz is fine. All the other correction messages are fine at 1Hz. Having to high a correction rate using Lora increases bandwidth demand drastically an will shrink your maximum transmit distance.

Using higher correction rates than 1hz, is useful if you are really needing some mega vertical accuracy over a very short distance like tile drainage or land levelling, or you are travelling at a extremely high speed. Commercial bulldozers use 10hz corrections, but really its not required for farming operations.

3 Likes

Is 1Hz on the base set like this?
How do i set different rates for 1005 than the rest? is it done through UBX-CFG-MSG?

there you can set up different hz and witch messages you want to send

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve just received my ardusimple f9p (with xbee Bluetooth module) and applied Andreas configuration. It works fine via usb but the Bluetooth connection to my surface tablet is not working correctly. It connects but it can’t connect with AOG or u-center. Is there some modification needed?

I hope this is not a stupid question :grinning:, just started with AOG

You have to enable uart communication

Use u-Center

Goto ubx cfg msg and enable

Nmea on uart2

Nmea gga and vtg with an 1 after it

2 Likes

Are these GGA and VTG the only two nmea messages AOG “needs”?

I am struggling with non stable RTK position in aog and can’t get it stable.
Base sends RTCM 1005(10), 1074(1),1084(1),1094(1) and 1230(10) via lora, to uart2 only RTCM protocol is enabled (base)
Of course on rover also RTCM protocol enabled on uart2, and on USB to AOG only NMEA at 10Hz. I get fast RTK fix but something seems wrong, when I stand still my position jumps about 15cm multiple times a second. Maybe because of too many NMEA sentences sent to aog?

Yes you only need gga and vtg. If you send more then needed you will probably get that jumping.

1005 is ARP coordinates should be 0.1 hz, it never changes so it just eats up bandwidth on the radio. Its the position of the base station so its the same message every time.

1230 should be 1hz as well

That’s where the (10) is for, at 10Hz it will only send the 1005 and 1230 at 1Hz. The base to rover via lora is working ok now. Also V5 seems to run ok now with only gga and vtg enabled and only nmea protocol via usb. Thanks !

I was looking in U center last night and could not find gga and vtg? where is this setting so I double check that mine is correct.
thanks

I think it’s under view, configuration then scroll down left side to messages, scroll through messages pop up window down to nmea, you will see a bunch including GGa, VTG, rmc etc. If it’s on should have a checkmark in box beside the way you are sending it AoG. If you change you need to click send on lower left corner

1 Like