Is the UM982 an F9P killer for AOG?

I think B3 is just missing I, see hire in specifications:

Beidou: B1I, B1C, B2a, B2I, B2b, B3I

So X5 supports both bds-2 and bds-3 sats.

F9P can only use bds-2 sats for dual band, while um982 can use any as it supports B1I,B3I witch are transmitted by both bds-2 and 3. (Can also use B1C, B2a, B2b if in single antenna, config signalgroup 7)

As you see in pic only 5 of 12 bds sats are bds-2 witch F9P would have B2I, all the rest are bds-3. So using F9P base will cut usable bds sats in half.

1 Like

I think AOGConfigOMatic for UM982 doesn’t set the heading 90. Should it? Some of you are using Heading tractor and some use heading variablelength. Any pros cons to each?

I usually set the 90 degree heading offset in AOG GPS app versus firmware. @Radmuffins did quite a bit of testing and found variablelength to provide better heading results. The variablelength setting causes the UM982 to constantly recalculate the baseline (apparent distance between the the two UM982 antennas). The AOG F9P firmware does the same thing with the F9P’s using the calculated baseline.

AOGConfigOMatic for the UM982 configuration uses a text file called UM982config.txt in the same directory as the executable. This can easily be modified to suit ones preferences. Just make sure the first line does not contain a command one wants sent to the UM982.

I’m not getting any heading reading.

Here’s my config

What firmware are you using? I see PANDA sentences which usually means a single GPS setup. In a single GPS setup, heading comes from the IMU. Dual setups produce PAOGI sentences.

Thanks Chris! I sent the firmware you used in comment 188 on this topic and heading came up. A bunch of driving around “wait that isn’t right” scratch head change settings etc then swap the left and right antennas and woohoo! I’m thinking this um982 is awesome! I’m using the um982 from your comment 108 and two of the antennas from your comment 189. I just need to tune the steering aggressiveness and I’ll be golden. You rock!
Robert

2 Likes

Hi, trying to start with um982 i got same as you but dont understand Pinout.

Your picture looks good but dont wanna fry it.

Is there a good pinout that i can use? And feed 3.3v old 5v input??

Um982pinout2

Simplest is to power it with 5v, as converters are already on pcb.

Got pin 6 5v pin 20 gnd. Then 16 and 15 rx tx.

It getting pretty warm.

But i got gga string but cant get it to float or fix on ucenter or agio.

I tried aogconformatic to program it.

The first post in this thread has the user manual, command manual and board manuals.

Recommended tool for um982 configuration is uprecise, you can push corrections from uprecise, ucenter etc. but far easier solution is agio, if you connect um982 direct to tablet with ttl and have properly configured ntrip settings it should acquire rtk accuracy. Same if its connected thru teensy.

If you go with ttl direct to tablet you must lower baudrate to 115200 as AOG does not accept higher.

As @chri5k said, user manual, command manual and board manuals. It is beneficial to understand product for easier integration and evaluation.

Thnx all gonna read and try

Got it working, thnx for the help guys

AOGConfigOMatic now supports the UM982.

2 Likes

Works great once you know how to connect the um982 :see_no_evil:

very good post

1 Like

Very nice thread.

I have difficulties to upgrade FW - as my UM982-module has only 230kbs USB-serial chip, and UPrecise is trying to change the speed to 460kbps at the beganning of the update procedure - which fails.

Anyt ideas?

Not that I can think of other than upgrading to a new USB-TTL adapter which supports higher speeds.

Hi. I bought a um980 receiver and configured it as a base 1005 10, 1074 1, 1084 1, 1094 1, 1124 1. But it transmits via ntrip not what is needed. What could be the problem?

It looks like it is sending the requested messages in the right proportions. 1 1005 message for every 10 of the others. Can you explain what is not being sent? What commands did you use to configure the UM980?