KaupoiMOD PCB v3

Thanks!

Obviously Brian’s PCB is bigger (149.20mm * 100.94mm vs. 99.67mm * 99.67mm) and therefore probably easier to solder. There are virtually no differences in the wiring diagram, so both work the same way. There are some differences in the location and layout of the connectors.
My version has mounting holes for MMA and ADS for sturdy mounting. There is also a fixed place for BNO on my board.

1 Like

Couple photos
20200716_113620 20200716_163006

2 Likes

Do you find the VX7805 stable enough for the WAS? Also, somewhere I heard/read that R9, the 330 ohm pulldown on the ADS A1 input (WAS differential 2nd input) was detrimental, is that true?

Also, compared to your v2 pcb, what differences are there? I see some connecters moved and you added BNO mounting/connections?

The VX7805 has worked well. Or at least I haven’t noticed it causing any problems. Do you know if there is something more suitable than VX7805?

About R9 I really don’t know. All my setups work well at differential mode. I would love to hear if anyone has any information on this.

Yes…
You can find information about all the changes in my previous posts above.
And lastly, in version 3.0.3, I added markings for component locations.

Hello! No problem with usb connection? Isn’t the connection lost while charging? How did you solve the tablet charge? Thanks

No connection problems. Tablet is charged with cigarette lighter charger.

Hi, Im building your pcb, congrats on a great work, I’m from Argentina, the thing is I’m finding VERY difficult to find the VX7805, and ordering from digickey cost me around usd50 (?!), That’s just crazy is there another regulator that could.do the job? The lm7805 is widely available but I don’t know if it could work…

I am using lm 7805 on my pcbv2, there seems no real heating issue, even without cooling plate on them. They are only “finger hot”
But plan was originally to add cooling finns on both of them.

1 Like

Excelente! Ill give them a try then

Be careful not to load the lm7805 too much. Something like 200 mA would be a maximum if you want to keep the regulator below 90°C (according to the data of the TI datasheet).
You may find the VX7805 at other electronics resellers that would be more convenient. By searching the part number VX7805-1000 at octopart.com, you will get a list of electronics resellers that have it in stock
EDIT: if you’re using a heat sink, the current can be higher (like 1A or so). If you have some, you can use thermal paste (like for a CPU) to increase the thermal conductivity between the package and the heat sink. Make sure it’s well tightened.

I have looked around, but what kills me is shipping, no lower that usd35, and we have import fees in Argentina of %100 of the value of the item + shipping, yes it’s crazy, i could literally buy 200 lm7850 here for the value of 1 imported vx7850, I’m building AOG from what I can source locally, otherwise I couldn’t afford it, motor came from a copy machine, 3d printed reduction, old tablet, Chinese Arduino and bno, etc

Try adding a few more diodes to drop the voltage before the 7805 and/or add a heatsink.

Or step the voltage down to 8 with something else before the 7805.

I m using lm7805 on 4 engines , with cooling plate . I don t have any problem with them , the older system works since 2 years …

hello @Kaupoi really congratulations for your work.I would like to start with your board but with the welds are a disaster for this I ask you is it possible to share the .boom and cpl file so that you can take advantage of the tene assembly service I would be very grateful

Thanks!
Added files bom.cvs and diyAutoSteer-tht.mnt to my shared folder: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (see Beta-folder)
I cannot guarantee that the files are working properly, so use at your own risk. But if you try them, please let us know how they worked.

thank you very much @Kaupoi but when on jlcpcb I insert the file it gives me an error with the “cpl” file you could share the project file created on easyEDA of the pcb board. it is composed of a folder containing an “info” file and a “json” file? Thanks for the reply

I’m not using easyEDA. Can’t make a cpl-file.

what program do you use to create the pcb
?