Make your ITC work with WAAS 2021!

It might work. The issues is whether or not a standard Arduino at 16 MHz can keep up with the traffic. The sketch has to process each and every CAN packet, passing it from one CAN interface to the other. You can’t use filters here to reduce the burden on the Arduino. Also you’d have to modify the code to work with your SPI CAN modules.

I am pretty skeptical a uno would keep up with the demand of a real Canbus load plus conversion. Even my first NMEA selector / Talker code changer would not work at 16mhz, the 20mhz nano every just barely makes it work with serial. The Uno is primarily meant to teach people how to code one or two commands, and get to that hello world moment.

Communication processing takes quite a fair amount of computation. Further slowed down by the serial / canbus input speed. You can only start to process data it if you have already parsed it. If you do not have enough power another annoyance in under powered conversion programs will start to drop data, so output will be erratic.

I would just get the due, it will save a pile of frustration.

I will.buy the due, but i cannot order the dual can board. No reseller here. Is the a other i could use?

Where are you at?
Due can europe

The dual CAN board i must admit is a huge convenience, but i have got single Can converters off ALI
Ali TJA1050 CAN

I am a novice at canbus. But is this a big difference with the dual can? And the code that torriem wrote? I mean the canbus controller from ali?

I would ask @torriem to make 100% sure he is much more experienced in this subject and wrote the program, I am only starting out on the Canbus myself. I am much more comfortable in 232, 422 and 485.

The Ali converters you would have to manually wire into the same connections as the dual CAN shield. The Can shield is easy cause it just pokes in and you are done, I went this route so the Ali converters went in my parts box.

Ok will do. Thank you for your time helping me out.

1 Like

Short answer, yes, two of the transceivers that @PotatoFarmer linked to on AliExpres, when connected to the respect CAN TX/RX wires on the Due are functionally the same as the dual transceiver shield board. No code changes would be required.

CAN consists of two parts. A CAN controller and a CAN transceiver. In the case of the Due and Teensy, the CAN controller is built into the CPU, and the CAN bus libraries I used are designed for these built-in controllers. In order to physically connect to and access the bus, a transceiver is required, and can be implemented using quite a few different chips or boards. The skpang breakout board for Teensy and the Dual CAN board for the Due are convenient but you can certainly use the AliExpress boards.

The CAN shields that are available for Arduino consist of a CAN controller and a CAN transceiver, which communicates with the Arduino over SPI so the microcontroller does not need to have a CAN controller built in. These shields would likely work on a Due also (if you could get two of them to hook up simultaneously), or even an ESP32. But you’d have to find a compatible CAN bus library and modify my code to work with that library.

2 Likes

So a farmer on NewAgTalk reported that his ITC receiver doesn’t seem to be acquiring a WAAS fix any longer. And today my ITC receiver also could not get anything better than 3D. @Raycorp is WAAS still working for you on your ITC?

Do ITC’s update from satellite or do you need to bring them in?

Hopefully they did not get juicero’ed for the second time.

For those who do not know the mythical legend of “juicero” it was an internet linked fresh juice squeezer. After becoming the laughing stock of the internet for being a $700USD electric juicer. But you could squeeze the juice out of the $8 a pop bags by hand… faster… no need to use it. The company remotely bricked all of them without warning.

I don’t know. If happen to talk to Agra-GPS, you might ask if he’s heard anything from his customers. I talked to one farmer tonight who says it’s still working for him, although he had to set his SF1 frequency to a manual number to get it working, which is odd since SF1 isn’t working at all. Definitely a bit of a mystery!

Last I heard ITC extend has been super popular. It seems to be a favourite of the small farmer. But i will ask.

Still the whole ITC debacle is just the start of the fun of planned obsolescence and crop data privacy brewing.

The AOG project is very important, having at least one non commercial entity producing a repairable upgradeable modifiable guidance system.

The part that bugs me most is during my childhood Deere indoctrination is, I learned that deere did not invent the plow he just improved it. Along many other stories of farmers toiling in their barns perfecting the next best idea, then getting absorbed by Deere.

Now Deeres and CNH’s attitude is your locked out, we do not want to give you the chance to help improve farming through optimizing or altering existing equipment, exactly like Deere did to start his company, the Steiger brothers, Fendt, Ferguson, Ford any of them really.

3 Likes

Yes. Deere fancies themselves as the Apple of tractors. Wish I could find it, but there was a fascinating article I read a few months ago about when John Deere sued Kinze over their planter boxes many years ago. Quite the story. Let’s just say John Deere didn’t come out of that looking and smelling great. They were caught lying to the court that they had invented the planter mechanism when in fact Kinze had proof that someone else had developed it decades before. On wonders what kind of great machines and systems Deere could make if they took their legal budget and applied it to something useful. And if they could see the benefit to making things open and inter-operable. But alas, they find the continuous, forced revenue stream irresistible, as do most companies these days.

3 Likes

I live in the Netherlands and have a ITC with a sprayer with section control. Everything still works. But i set it on Waas/ Egnoss. The only thing that doesnt work is the coverage. So i dont see where i sprayed on my field. It has no autosteer. I will check today.

I’m using torriems waas steer. I’m having the same issues with no waas either. A few days ago I set up a tractor and was having issues with waas, changed the sf1 frequency a couple times and it worked. Now nothing. It has to be a Deere thing, as I’ve bypassed the board with the same results. No waas.

Ok just to check,

Your itc will be set to waas,

You are using the converter from @torriem, or agra gps

But for it to work, your screen must be set to sf1

Is this the configuration that is having issues?

I’m using torriems setup. Set with both sf1 and waas on. I’m suspecting this is a Deere problem because it’s the same on 3 different tractors. None of them are receiving waas

They were all working last week when
I set them up

It took a full 2 hours, but waas did eventually come up.

1 Like

Word from Agra-GPS is their setup is still working, WAAS on ITC is still working.

Only WAAS issues are the regular WAAS ones, wander and drift over time.

Will be following closely.