Poll - board design

I currently use the ESP32 pico D4 def module for a PANDA board.

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/356-ESP32-PICO-KIT

The M5 stamp looks the same, but has no USB, thats why I didn’t buy it, so no idea.

I’m about to check out the ESP32 ProS3 for my section control PCB, as the S3 or C3 has native USB support and many GPIOs. So maybe we could just put an USB jack on the board, like at the F9P micro. But I didn’t order one right now.

Other possibility would be to use c3 super mini, but idea of the power of the ceramic antenna:

Yes, a differed IP for WiFi is needed. I use 192.168.137.x the same as Windows hotspot. My Section Control codes all have DHCP, and support 5 different SSIDs and passwords, so no problem.

I’m using the concept of forwarding the data cable ↔ WiFi at my PANDA board: ESP32 with W5500 to tablet and WiFi to SC. Kind of access point. Works good. No delays, as there would be delays, when using the RUT955 (mine is for sale if someone is interested ;-))

The idea of Guy1000 is also good, as it may fit to the AIO board, as it is. My experiences with ESP8266 aren’t that good: often don’t boot, always busy, as single core.

Is the esp32 computing power enough for an aio board without teensy?

Currently it probably is but I’m not up to speed on all the peripheral options of all the esp32 variants so I don’t know what would all need to change.

best idea would be to keep as much as possible and only add this feature, so hopefully the firmware could work on both boards.

@MTZ8302 What’s your opinion on using a Seeedstudio XIAO ESP32-X footprint vs a module soldered by JLCPCB? Would you be interested in developing the firmware for this ESP32?

@MrPoke is doing some interesting work with the ESP32 for AOG.

I can’t check at the moment but does the AIO code do alot of floating point math? I ask because I know that the ESP32’s tend to have rather poor fpu performance, especially with doubles. I believe even with the S3’s division is still handled in software. Probably not going to be an issue but it is something to consider.

Poor fpu performance?
And why does it need to be bigger?
Learn to program and then there is no problem.

AGOpenGPS Panda run in Arduino nano no need better CPU…

Might not want to use an Arduino Nano for AOG without a level shifter. The Nano has a 5v logic level and the F9P 3.3v. Losing the magic smoke from a $200 GPS module will ruin ones day.

In my understanding the cpu performance is needed to optimize time syncronization IMU with GPS-Signal (PANDA Message)!

1 Like

Ardusimple board support level shniffing. Connect to ioref pin to 5V …

This is not true.
Uno is enough for everything.

The simpleRTK2B Budget has the ioref pin for level shifting. However, the simpleRTK Micro and similar sized boards do not. The UM982 also does not have on-board level shifting capability.

No comment… Learn…

Does this mean, one nano can run panda and autosteer at the same time?

I am perfectly capable of understanding / doing level shifting. We have a number of inexperienced users on this forum so I was seeking to caution / educate them lest they ruin their GPS module.

2 Likes

Yes, uno knows.
ESP32 wifi necessary for me.