SMD PCB Project for an all-in-one compact PCB for AOG/QOG

PCBAs have arrived in Frankfurt; waiting for customs… I’ll keep you tuned!

6 Likes

No connectors is not a big deal at all.

But removing 90% of the soldering time is awesome. Being more compact is exciting.

Very interested how the first ones turn out!

3 Likes

Full featured M12/M8 PCBA

Full features PushIn PCBA

20210206_211315_resized
Autosteer PushIn PCBA

20210206_213150_resized
Soldering is no rocket science (but the 2 USB-C in the first picture took half an hour of my life :wink: )

Quick update with the first pictures. Already tested and working:

• power supplies
  • USB hub
  • Nano bootloader programming

Known issues till now:

• Some extra milling at the edge necessary if using M8 connectors
15 Likes

can’t wait to see the result, great job! :star_struck:

1 Like

20210207_010639_resized
Modbus is working, so Modbus relay modules can be controlled via RS485!

Python code of this example:

import minimalmodbus
import serial
#assign RS-485 interface to serial port (use “COM…” for Windows, “/dev/ttyUSB…” for Linux)
AOG_Modbus = minimalmodbus.Instrument(“/dev/ttyUSB1”, 1)
AOG_Modbus.serial.baudrate = 9600
Relay = 5
State = 0x0100 # possibilities: 0x0100 = on, 0x0200 = off, etc
status = AOG_Modbus.write_register(Relay, State, 0, 6, False)

6 Likes

Nice! those 485 output modules are all pre maid and cheap like borscht on Aliexpress. Can’t get much easier output setup than that! Also 485 can go a very long distance.

Very Nice boards you have created.

2 Likes

Great work!

1 Like

Made a small video about setting up the board (the first one I ever made!). There is also a German version.

I also added some pictures to my github folder (“documents”).

Will add more information in the next time there.

Tested yet:

• USB hub
  • Atmel section with I/Os needed for AOG
  • power supply
  • motor driver
  • WAS input
  • RS485 / Modbus

Still untested:

• CAN
  • ESP32 option
  • Bynav option
13 Likes

@GoRoNb Nice PCB, there is a relay for 6/2 valve if you run hydraulic control?

there is enough cooling on ibt2 if you use electric motor?

1 Like

There is a general propose 12V output you may use for anything:
grafik
The coil of the relay can be connected between the output and +Battery.
I never worked with hydraulics; do you have a link for me? I’ll double-check…

The motor driver has an on-resistance of about 7mOhm. Assuming 5A of average current, we have 175mW + some switching losses for each of the two drivers. Should be no prob even in summertime.

1 Like

Look at steer.png in AOG support files, (dir1 / D4) the blue arrow care you put a small relay on to pull 6/2 valve, when it is pulled the steering wheel can not be used, will not be optimal with your suggestion

1 Like

Not 100% sure, but if you only need the digital signal DIR1/D9, you can connect to the highlighted pin in the middle of the picture next to the text “R59”:
grafik

1 Like

grafik

Uuups, testing dual-CAN will take a while :flushed:

1 Like

I’ve to correct my answer; the Cytron in the steer.png confused me…

I’m using a circuit like the IBT-2, so the DIR1_RL_ENABLE = D4 is the signal to control the 6/2 valve. It can be found here (underneath the yellow “D1” text):
grafik

I also found an “old” link discussing the same topic: Hydraulic valve info from Telegram group - #90 by Richardklasens_admin

There is another option I would prefer: Just add two lines of code, copying the D4 bit to the D5 bit and use the signal available at the “Steering” connector:
grafik

@GoRoNb I wrote wrong, you are right it is D4 we use to activate a small relay for 6/2 valve when we are in IBT2 mode, can not fit this relay on your PCB?

1 Like

Agree, nice idea to add it although hydraulic steering is critical in Europe… But no relay; that’s old style. Protected MOSFETs like BTS5030-1EJA are the smarter and more reliable choice.

4 Likes

@GoRoNb I do not have a grand sense of electronics components, hope you find room for it, believe there is a part that uses hydraulics.

Yes, there was some space left to add this function via U14:
grafik
For assembling this part, edit the BOM file (“xU14” => “U14”, delete “R59”)

The 6/2 output will be on this track:
grafik

Furthermore you can put a solder joint on the bottom and remove “R76” + “F7” to make “SERVO+” to “-MOTOR” (= “-Battery” via emergency stop button), so that all signals to the valves are on “CN18”. That avoids current loops and you have a failsafe switching via the positively opening stop botton.

grafik

2 Likes

Looks great! Nice video, can’t believe it’s the first one. I love the small design and enclosure. Still can’t believe its cheaper than ordering all the parts and soldering yourself. I am going to try to place an order. Great job!

4 Likes

I think for most farmers just trying to get it to steer this is 100% hands down the way to go.

The only thing I can see changing just for the fun of tinkering is having a socket where the nano chip is to accept a teensy4.0, or I guess I could learn ESP.

Hopefully V4+ is still compatible it sounds like quite the revision in the works.
But very good job this is very excellent work, I wish I had the skills to build hardware like this.

1 Like