SMD PCB Project for an all-in-one compact PCB for AOG/QOG

Unfortunately some parts are on allocation @ JLCPCB right now and Chinease new year is comming. If you order somewhere else, it would be nice to share this information with the community.

@PotatoFarmer The idea is to make it as easy as possible with all parts but connectors already automatically assembled. It’s in fact what Brian did, but all on one board + some options. Hope, the board will keep up with Brian’s ideas…

1 Like

Brian’s Ideas that is my worry too. Also all of the communities, this Ag Open as auto steer platform really seems to be gaining some escape velocity, and going through some very rapid changes.

The biggest thing I am worried about is the 328 running out of steam, even Arduino is dumping it for the 4809 on the Nano Every.

But I just want to make clear I love your board, you are clearly very skilled. Once its summer and supply chains are moving more freely I want a couple badly.

1 Like

Just made the latest ethernet udp software stack based autosteer with CMPS14 on board. Pid running at 25 hz - runs suuwweeeeeet. No worries of running out of hp with the nano any time soon.

And it only uses 30% of the memory.

Your board GoRONb will be just fine. Have you thought about adding the MCP23017 for driving relays off the steer board?

3 Likes

I strongly prefer to use Modbus modules. Costs are roughly the same and there are no issues with EMC at all.

Can provide further source code, if you like.

Good day. I am a beginner and I have a question for you. Can I connect this engine ( 12v 10N.m 16N,m Automatic Steering Wheel Motor for Autopilot of Agricultral Vehicles - Buy steering wheel motor, automatic steering wheel motor, steering wheel motor for autopilot Product on Jinan Keya Electronic Science and Technology Co., Ltd ) to your board . It operates on a current of 20 A and uses RS 232 for control.
Thank you in advance

yes and no. From the HW point of view, the answer is yes. There are several ways to provide RS232 or CAN: simply via USB-to-RS232 cable plugged to one of the USB receptacles on the board or by connecting an USB-TTL-converter to connector U16 or via CAN2.0 if putting an ESP32 in place.

BUT this all won’t help because you don’t have any software support for that.

Andreas @Aortner did some test, but as far as I know, he wouldn’t suggest this way to go even if you adapt the software.

1 Like

Yes, you can.
I use this motor to. I also made a software based on @MTZ8302 software.
But for new built motors my software has to be adapted a little bit.
Software uses an ESP32 and wifi-UDP. You need a eg RS232max converter as @GoRoNb said.
My software is on GitHub - Lechnerch/AOG_GPS_ESP32: DUAL or SINGLE GPS bridge between AgOpenGPS an GPS receiver. Works with 2 UBlox to calculate heading+roll. Corrects and filters. ESP32 + Arduino MEGA
I have built in a Wemos D1 mini in the motor too to receive the wifi-udp and send it to the rs232max converter. Software is also on my github.
A video running on my tractor is Using AgOpenGPS with a brushless motor - YouTube

4 Likes

Do you have a better lead on a price for this motor, I also looked into it but it was $895US.

What are pcb dimensions ?

With 2 usb-c the board is 150x92

With pcb v2 , they switch from IBT to cytron because there were some problems with ibt.

It’s safe to use IBT type motor controller ?

Just to complete this topic: These Modbus modules may also be operated by these modules. In fact, that circuit was integrated into the PCB together with an USB hub.

Connecting is like that:
grafik

The easiest way to send the serial data uses precalculated CRC values:
grafik

Some hints:

• ModbusRTU is usually RS485 half-duplex like here; all modules share the same A/B lines (like I²C) => you can not only connect several relay modules (w/ different addresses) but also two USB sticks to the PC for debugging: one for your software, one for HTerm or equ.- very helpful at first :wink:
  • a message has to be sent w/o inter-char delays; between two messages, there must be a gap of at least 3 chars (my China module violates that :joy: and sends immediately, but that does not matter here)
  • the slave return exactly the same message to the master (PC); this may be used for checking the connection (physically you have the same message on the bus twice)
  • my module does not support setting of several relays at the same time (command 16)

(ModbusRel2.py is the code of the picture, ModbusRel3.py calculates the CRC and therefore supports more than one module. crc.c is c code of the CRC calc)

Would appreciate to have this option in AOG :smiley:

crc.c.txt (703 Bytes) ModbusRel2.py.txt (745 Bytes) ModbusRel3.py.txt (961 Bytes)

2 Likes

If anyone in Canada wants to do a group by of sort I’d be in for a half dozen or so, great work on this and thanks for sharing.

Please read this post and this post. Did you use these lists?

The FE1.1 was available from Aliexpress 3 weeks ago.

Let me know if you need help for 2nd sources, e. g. for the HSBA4048

This was the situation when I ordered:
grafik

• U18: bad luck - no chance to place it yourself, but part is depreciated and CMPS is prefered now
  • U2: bad luck - possible to place it yourself with liquid solder paste and hot air
  • D5, D6, D7: ESD protection, not mandatory
  • Q8: 2nd source e. g.: SINO-IC SED4060G, part C238671
  • U8: 2nd source e. g.: Exar SP485EEN-L/TR, part C6855
  • F7, F5,…: TECHFUSE SMD0603-050, part C69679
  • C32, C31: Lelon VEJ471M1ETR-1010, part C176672
  • QWIIC, DC/AUX, TO_PC: connectors - you have to assemble it yourself
  • U11: not available - you have to assemble it yourself
1 Like

Unfortunately Chinease New Year just started, so no action for the next two weeks at least :partying_face:

LCSC seems to have an option to get an estimation:
grafik (see “Check new stock and leadtimes”).

In parallel I asked for a quotation at shenzhen2u.com. Will be more expensive, but let’s see.

You may also use a local PCBA service such as Aisler in Germany. The advantage of all but JLCPCB is, that they order all components and put them on the board, after all arrived. JLCPCB is the only one I know, where you only get what is in stock at the moment of the order. Quite unconvenient, but they’re really cheap. The quality is ok as well, but that’s what I expect from everyone who does that job.

If you ask somewhere, please share this information here. Beautifying the BOM for a manufacturer always takes a lot of time, but imagine you would have to order everything yourself from different suppliers…

For me it is a nightmare to order every single smd components.

China is more cheap, but i need to wait months.

For small number, it is not convenient.

Aisler offer SMT service ?

This shop in europe fe1.1s

1 Like

or Amazon…

JLCPCB: normally two weeks to Germany for a PCB assembly (10 WDs); PCB only is a few days faster

Aisler services

The killing argument for JLC is: They have about 650 componets, you can choose w/o setup fee!

(The board has 72 different SMD components and about 250 pieces overall. PCB size is 150x92mm²)

1 Like

U11: LCSC part # C22460

D5, D6 , D7 : are available on RS components

The BOM is fully check, it is ready for order

1 Like

nice to hear.

U11 really has to be the Nexperia controller as specified, so the C22460 (Atmel) won’t work. As I said: D5…D7 are not mandatory

I have been trying to load the Gerber files to jlcpcb. It never gives me a pic of board like the instructions say. I tried your production file. Finally saw your “how to order pcb”. I am on easy eda now. Is that the way to get bom list etc? I may get it before you respond. Any help is appreciated. It is late in evening for you now ( 1:47pm here).

Order How-To JLCPCB

• browse to JLCPCB and click “Quote now”
  • upload Gerber file (either for Centrol unit or Rooftop Unit). The Gerber of the central unit is too big for a preview, so you also have to enter the DIMENSIONS in the next line after the upload process has fully finished: 150 x 92mm²
  • enter the number of PCBs to order: 5, 10, 15, etc
  • if you like, you may change the color of the solder mask printing. But not all colors are available for SMD manufacturing!
  • for the central unit check switch “SMT assembly” and “Assemble top layer”
  • Accept terms and click “NEXT” (you may log in now)
  • Upload BOM and Pick and Place file
  • click NEXT
  • browse through the list and see, what is not confirmed. For some you may find 2nd sources, some maybe not available from stock in that moment, some like the Nexperia controller are unavailable and some like connectors are not supported yet
  • click NEXT
  • check if all components are placed correctly (e. g. rotation information is sometimes incorrect in the libraries)
  • order
3 Likes

links to control unit, rooftop unit, BOM, and pick and place, do not send me anywhere?

thanks for the condensed rundown.