Starfire Jd RTK messages

I cant find a Topic explaining about the Jd Starfire RTK messages.

we are developing a RTK base station system and we need the fully all messages to include it.

I have found mts 1004, 1012 and 1033, is that right?
1 Like

Any help from JD?

That cannot be a full set for JD or any other rover, the base coordinates message is missing and you might need an antenna description message too. Also depends on the age of the JD dome, are you going to use MSM messages or the legacy ones?

1 Like

We have a project done for trimble. our system includes missing messages before it leaves the vbase station.

Now we are going to do the same for john deere RTK.  so we need to understand the RTK Jd messages. So I believe all i need is the missing messages so that I can include it just as we did for Trimble and Topcon.
1 Like

John Deere uses a proprietary protocol called NCT. I read once that there was an unlock that european guys were using that allowed it to use RTCMv3. I think it’s called “John Deere Mobile RTK.” No idea what messages that requires, though. Nearly everyone just uses the proprietary NCT stuff in my area.

1 Like

I looked into trying to run my SF3000 with my own RTCM corrections once, you can apparently input it on the serial pin…however as you say, you have got to buy the activation to use third party RTCM corrections, at that point i gave up / went F9P due to the cost of doing that. Cant win without £££ with the OEM kit…

1 Like

Are you trying to communicate with Radio RTK or NTRIP RTK ? I can try and find out NTRIP RTK messages

Kevin, if you can get me the messages from Ntrip I appreciate. All I need is the output messages

Kevin, if you can get me the messages from Ntrip I appreciate. All I need is the output messages

According to NavCom’s FAQ, NavCom receivers support the following message types:
1001-1012, 1019-1020, and 1033.

So theoretically, you’d need something like:

• 1004 (Extended L1&L2 GPS RTK Observables)
  • 1005 or 1006 (Stationary RTK Reference Station ARP)
  • 1019 (GPS Ephemerides)
  • 1033 (Receiver and Antenna Descriptors)

I’m not sure if 1007 or 1008 is required as Trimble does.

Theoretically you could also use the Glonass messages (1012 and 1020), but the FAQ says that NavCom looks up the bias frequency in a table of known manufacturers, so I don’t think it would work with the ZED-F9P as a base station with the Starfire receivers.

Further EDIT for clarity: The receiver frequency bias issue is why the modern MSM message types include 1230, which is supposed to encode this bias frequency value so that rovers can figure out how to use the base station glonass observations. However on the F9P we’ve determined that 1230 is a blank message, so Glonass RTK is really only possible with a ZED-F9P base station and a ZED-F9P rover currently unless that has changed in a recent firmware update.

But 1230 is not needed with legacy messages 1004 and 1012? My base does not send RTCM1230 but my Topcon receivers as well as F9P certainly use both GPS and Glonass birds for RTK.

Yeah the Glonass stuff was more of an aside. I think the case is that with legacy messages the roving receiver has to already know the base station receiver frequency bias. Hence I don’t think a F9P base will be able to give Glonass corrections to a Starfire receiver. With the MSM7 messages then you can use 1230 (if ZED F9P truly supported it). Glonass is a tricky thing.

what if I just use my raspberry programmed to include these messages? the only issue I believe is if Jd really uses 1033 for descriptor it may be a hard time to figure out how to deal with that.

you guys probably know Digifarm Company, they have a device that receives all messages from Ntrip, as long as I know, to set up a Ntrip broadcast you also need these messages, so how did they get it?

Digifarm typically uses John Deere base stations and NCT protocol for their John Deere customers, according to what I have read in their documentation.

The only way to know for sure what John Deere can deal with is to try it. Try with just 1004, 1005, and 1019 and see what happens. Yes with a pi and str2str you should be able to convert the MSM7 messages from the F9P into the older messages the starfire expects. And like the 1008 message with Trimble, perhaps a blank 1033 message would work if required. As already indicated, Glonass is likely to not work.

1 Like

Has anyone ever figured out a way to feed a this party RTCM source into a JD SF3000 reciever without paying the ANNUAL mobile RTK subscription?

The only way would be to translate RTCM messages to NCT. NCT remains proprietary and secret. Deere successfully removed all traces of NCT documentation from the internet. It’s just not worth working on, especially because Agra-GPS has the CRG receiver you can buy right now for 1/3 the cost a John Deere receiver with all the RTK unlocks, that can do RTK with normal RTCM base stations, and is completely compatible with Autotrac. I just obtained a unit that’s on my desk right now waiting to be installed. It’s a slick unit.

I am still interested in building my own starfire replacement, similar to what the Agra-GPS unit does.

4 Likes

There’s also a 5 year subscription. I think yearly MRTK is ~200USD but 5 year is 450 or so.
If you have MRTK and JDlink then you could use the Mobile MTG to connect to the correction. (No need for extra modem.) All you need is “jdmrtk” in the DNS. (Direct IP doesn’t work.)

Interesting, And i do have JDLINK… assume via dealer to purchase said mrtk subscription? Anyone tested this with RTKBase?

At least 3 farmers / rtkbases with default config and 10+ JD tractors operate like this happily :slight_smile:
be my guest: centipede.jdmrtk.hu / emlid.jdmrtk.hu

1 Like

Im being told that you have to have SF2/3 activations on the reciever to then be able to activate the mrtk activation? If so this would be hugely to expensive to ever be worthwhile?

I think after SF2/3 you’ll need RTK and then the MRTK license.