Tool Steering

Sure will, I’m pretty excited as the camera guidance for row cropping is over $30k US. This should be much more accurate!

1 Like

Will you be running two tablets in the tractor
then?
And how will you be tool steering the planter?

Yes, two surface pro 7’s. The hitch guidance will be portable to swap the 3 point hitch and guidance from tractor to tractor.

The hitch is a Navigator slider 3 point hydraulic hitch. Going to make a draw bar attachment for the hydraulic hitch to pull my 100 foot draw bar sprayer and have tool guidance for it also.

Mark, would you happen to know which hydraulically adjustable 3pt hitch has the most travel? I know there’s the Navigator, Buffalo, Sukup, and others. I know there are steering hitches and that’s not what I want. This isn’t 3pt country so I’ve never really seen or worked with one.

One day I’d like to use one for implement steering of my trailed type planter. I guess I’d be welding a drawbar onto it.

Here’s a couple pages I have book marked with homemade drawbar steer, also an option but nothing looks easier than just buying a sliding 3pt hitch system from bigIron.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=544292&mid=4473128#M4473128Q
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=615207&mid=5141907

I honestly don’t know travel distance of each. The navigators are really accessible around here as nobody uses them anymore. They’re 20 inches total travel.

People think the tractor can offset the implement until your running over rows with tractor and the implement is running over another set of rows. Also curves are a problem for that too. The implement hitch should make up for the offset much quicker and accurately.

So this makes me curious. Assuming you have a 3 point hitch mounted planter that uses discs to open a seed trench I am of the opinion that it is very difficult to steer a planter with a sliding hitch because the opener discs act as stabliser discs and prevent lateral movement from a side shift frame. So i am wondering how you plan on reliably steering the planter without a steering hitch that changes the length og the hitch arms in order to change the angle of the tool bar in relation to the tractor which makes the tool bar swing left and right as it tracks throught the ground.
But possibly you are using a drawn planter and will pull it behind your navigator on a draw bar.

Yes, it is a 2 point drawn planter that trails behind. I’m going to make a 3 point adapter for tongue hitch implements also. Ultimately this is for a 3 point mount cultivator where I will probably have to pull the two discs off that were meant for the other style of steering hitch. @m_elias and I got it working yesterday. It holds about .3 inch accuracy down the bumpy road at 8 mph! I will be posting update here once I have it working in the field this spring.

2 Likes