UDP only - Where is AOG heading

Not for AOG but for home cameras cut 2 unused wires find some wall plug adapter and solder adapter output to those wires, (voltage drop needs to be accounted) for longer distance you use step up coverter to 44 - 50v then at other end step down to 12v. For AOG maybe 5v will work for short distance.

If we have to move to UDP it would be good to power nano from it why exactly we can’t use 12 to 5v converter for section control for relay board and for nano also?(from schematic powered from usb).

1 Like

All i can say is - give it a try.

You’ll need some serious power and $$$ to make it work reliably. There are those connector things that you can run subsequent power adaptors with, but then you are powering thru the wimpy ethernet connector as well.

Great for cameras POE, but as the power goes up so do the $ exponentially. An acceptable POE switch that would also be reliable would probably be 2 to 300$

3 Likes

Instructions unclear, powering phidgets motor from PoE :joy:

1 Like

Thank you Brian! This is a very useful and informative video. UDP really works very well and it is very convenient. I liked your AgIO, which displays a color connection, it’s very convenient!

Great instructional video, These are very useful to many of us. I totally understand the reasons for going to ethernet connection and will attempt converting from USB soon. Maybe not this season. My one question is how you connect F9P thru ethernet connector? Is there a way to connect to ethernet hub? Or are you still using usb for F9P?

I am using this module, it works fine.

3 Likes

I use usb without issue, but only chose it due to most components already having the usb. But i am using a usb micro, usb mini, and usb c to A all in the same project.

I think UDP only for is a good move overall faster is better. And the cables are as generic as they come. Can fix in field :+1:

But section control could be greatly simplified with @GoRoNb latest work with rs485 in agIO ,having relay modules that already are mass produced. 485 is just two twisted wires, and meant for noisy industrial locations.

1 Like

I think better solution is switch everything to CAN. For example: AutoSteer module - new PCB with can interface, Dual GPS (or single) new PCB with can interface. Optional machine pcb with can interface. And everything connected to one can bus. At the end of bus must be tablet with AGiO, but in usb must be plugged some king of CAN to USB converter (maybe based of Arduino or esp32). So AGiO must read all data and split this data to different place in Agopen app. So 3 pin cable (CanH, CanL, GND) must be for communication. Then every problem with usb com port I think must gone. Can bus as you now is placed in car, tractors, trucks and there it works perfectly with more devices than In aog.
Maybe there is external solution for this - others pcbs, but I think we must add this to original PCB. Of course in ino file must be option to enable can-bus or usb - no problem.
But as I can see - we have a lot of pcbs, different ino files etc. So I think, we must make one version for everyone (of course not one, maybe 3 or 4 for different configuration of GPS or valves/motors).

I believe Brian addressed this previously in this very topic.

Truth be told even auto makers are planning to move from CAN to a form of Ethernet.

While AOG speaks UDP natively (I assume eliminating the need for AgIO), it’s still possible to make a little custom program (daemon in Linux parlance) like AgIO to bridge between UDP and legacy serial or CAN.

4 Likes

Is there an UDP-Teensy-PANDA and an UDP-Teensy_Autosteer ino for AOGv5.5?

I have fund “Autosteer_Teensy_UDP_v5_0”(1 feb 2022) on Github but I’m not able to make it work.
I have my computer on 192.168.5.5 as the video but I guess I have other addresses to change in AOI and in the .ino?
No router or switch, just an USB/ethernet adapter.

Yes, CAN has a major speed limit, 1Mbit/s. J1939 is slower. Tesla has to use multiple separate CAN buses due to this bandwidth limitation.

We really only need the output the final steering commands on CAN if the machine is equipped. Or read select machine data.

2 Likes

Okey right, so maybe you are right. But I think we must create one topic about pcb, schematics, Ino files - official and others mods. I know there is old post but it’s old :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are building that GPS single/dual Ublox/bynav/spetentrio Autosteer board where you just add power and udp cable. So that will be very easy. If we can get the parts - big problem

4 Likes

Which parts are you struggling most with?

Is the new board equipped with an integrated ethernet switch, or does the teensy combine all the “magic” (GPS+Autosteer), or does the board have two ethernet connections (one for GPS, one for Autosteer)? :thinking:

Great work by the way. The whole AOG crew does an amazing job. :+1:

If an ethernet is needed in a small package, I found this:

Or there are POE switches too:

Although the passive POE might be a problem for non-POE devices.

1 Like

One ethernet for GPS/Autosteer. If you need section control, you will need to add a switch. We may incorporate a mini swith to the pcb in time.

7 Likes

Regarding sending passive PoE into a regular jack, wouldn’t the Ethernet transformers take care of that? I’ll have to test that.

1 Like

Pretty neat. You guys are doing awesome work.

Some day having a little switch such that more than ethernet port is on the front panel would be ideal. And even better with POE (passive is fine) to run the section control box without requiring any additional wires. And I can think of other things too, like plugging in a POE camera so the tablet can act as a backup camera, or to monitor seed levels in side a planter or drill. Possibilities are endless.

5 Likes

Is anywhere on group topic about this board?