UDP only - Where is AOG heading

Yes it can

1 Like

UDP works very well for me, USB ports are somewhat amateurish and unsafe for this system, tractor vibrations due to terrain and the expansion of USB port over time make the system unsafe, what if we can connect an IP camera to the switch and use it to see the equipment behind on the AOG screen while using UDP. it would be fine.

1 Like

It can be either a router or a switch. Router being the one, maybe poorly named, that includes wifi. It would allow a wifi connected esp32 for example way back on the tool wirelessly.

In AgraBot, i used wifi and wired so i could keep an eye on AOG in the robot tractor rolling seeded peas using TeamViewer to see what was going on on my phone while i was in the other tractor seeding. This would not be possible with serial :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wifi is just replacing the ethernet cable with radio waves so you can use some, none or all with it. The only challenge i found with wifi and a normal wifi router was data is sent in bursts. So you could do 50 hz gps except it would bunch them together and still only achieve 3 or 4 updates per second.

Have you noticed this? Or using different router? Different type of Access point?

So cool what you have done with Open Grade!

So section control for usb has to be close to tablet but for UDP ethernet can be taken to sprayer or wireless but for that ruter is needed ? I use mobile hotspot for internet to tablet will that work as ruter for esp32 ?

For ethernet hub, theres ā€œswitchesā€ and ā€œsplitersā€ with spliters allowing only one connection at a time are they good for AOG or simultaneous connection is needed ?

Thatā€™s right and I would say that flexibility to have a combo of wired/wireless modules is one of the biggest advantage of a protocol like UDP.

I havenā€™t found the data issues, although I havenā€™t taken it to 50 but it seemed to handle 30hz just fine. I have a esp 32 running in the antenna module it simply reads the serial data coming out of the RTK2B and as soon as it reads The whole NMEA line it just fires it over the UDP network. That ESP also acts as the Acess Point for the network. (The OpenGradeX I connect to in the video is that Acess point)

The only little bit of weirdness I have found is I have recently undertaken adding NTRIP client to the project. When the client connects for the first time I can see a small delay in the GPS Fix, but it usually sorts itself out within a half a second or so. Donā€™t know if TCP takes priority over UDP on the network or something like that. Iā€™m just a farmer after all.

As far as I am concerned I have just put the icing on the cake when it come to Opengrade. The whole cake was sitting there waiting for me with work done by yourself and others in this forum.

2 Likes

We are working on a simple set of instructions with screenshots to set the tablet up for UDP. We will post it as soon as its ready

3 Likes

As long as you end up with a functional network where everything can see everything - you can really do pretty much anything. You can even make esp32 an access point and use it as the wifi router. You would essentially connect to the machine module lol.

1 Like

You can see the possibilities spread out ! No shortage or limitations at all - just precious time.

1 Like

Now imagine this. Attach a high speed udp camera to the spot above the right front wheel looking ahead. Use OpenCV computer vision and do tramline guidance following the tram dark line.

Plant rows - make a line via camera of the desired plants - steer the tool to steer between the rows. No gps even required.

7 Likes

Tony is trying this board out. It is a PANDA (single antenna and roll timed together) so it is a pretty ideal gps. Can be usb or udp. Ideal solution for pre built systems. Or as i like to think of it future as well using this board and the old style steer board.

Ridiculously cost effective and reliable GPS system. We also hope to be able to program the F9P thru the udp as well.

7 Likes

Well wifi ntrip master can be connected to AOG? It has option to forward wifi network that its conneted so section control esp32 connected to wifi ntrip master, phone as main wifi for esp32 and tablet or some combination of that. Theres always bluetooth.

But probably not so simple :smiley:

Is there good wireless setup explained or possible?

Really nice, i want to Do the sameā€¦ Can the UDP Code and PCB be shared. Would be a nice unit! :slight_smile:

Yes that is my understanding. All CAN chipsets have pretty advanced filtering capabilities in the silicon. The MCU only sees the packets it is interested in. Of course there is a protocol for claiming addresses that might need to be followed for j1939 and isobus, but Iā€™m not sure if tractor components follow that, or if they just hard wire the ids. I think the tractor ECUs probably just hardwire the ids and donā€™t bother with address claiming, but implements plugged into the isobus probably do need to follow the address claiming procedure.

And yes there should be no problem with collisions on CAN because the CAN chipset and the transceivers should take care of that. Iā€™ve never had any problems placing messages on the bus without regard for timing or existing traffic.

CAN is certainly more robust physically and electrically than ethernet is, but ethernet is certainly well supported by the hardware AOG uses (tablets, teensy, etc). Iā€™ve read before that automakers are planning to move to ethernet and more specifically internet protocol down the road, perhaps using some kind of physically robust signalling system on the wires.

1 Like

So many legends here from the beginningā€¦ let me clarify some.

I fully agree that neither USB nor RJ45 is a suitable connector for farming or any other automotive use.

When talking about the plugs, just look to the origine of those plugs: RJ45 comes from telefone cords plugged once in their lifetime and thrown away when broken. Hirose, a high-quality Japanese manufacturer, states 200 plugging cycles for its TM21 series. Itā€™s a lot for RJ45. On the other hand, USB is made for plugging. USB-C specifies 5000 cycles minimum - 25 times more than RJ45. But as I said, both arenā€™t really suitable (or youā€™ve some cables in spare). In industrial environments outside cabinets, the answer is M12-D. Thatā€™s quite ok for farming, especially if the sheath is made of PUR. These cables work for both Ethernet and USB. But those cables are expensive and in case of USB hard to find (e. g. Murr). Or do yourself.

When USB donā€™t reconnect, itā€™s bad software. Windows itself is quite weired and AgIO does no reconnection yet. Iā€™m using use mice for 20 years now - never thought of switching to an Ethernet oneā€¦

When USB has trouble when driving the motor, itā€™s always bad hardware and/or wiring. Ethernet is a workaround, but doesnā€™t correct the root cause. If the USB motor driver is wired correctly, there is no issue at all.

USB delivers power. Itā€™s even made for hot-plugging. Under power. For more than 5000 times. IMU, Arduinos and Ardusimple have it out of the box. Any further arguments needed for USB here?

RS485 (not RS232!) and CAN are suitable candidates as well. Advantage RS485: USB adapter ships for $.99 & very easy on every ĀµC; with TI chips, time and data with a single twisted pair is possible. Disadvantage: Time slots must be defined by hand or better use simple proven-in-use protocols like Modbus.

Time management is the big advantage of CAN as @woody_matt already explained. And CAN is developed for automotive (by the manufacturer of the BNO08x by the way)! Any two twisted wires will do the job. But with CAN, you need another two wires for power.

Both, CAN and RS485 donā€™t need or even benefit from any isolation and they are immune to miswiring. A very professional approach, especially when taking into consideration, that WAS data and keypad data is available on argricultural CAN systems.

Automotive Ethernet will enter more and more cars, but as TWE with specialized ICs. Hard to get and expensive these days. Two twisted wires as well and also power - very nice. Maybe it is combined with TSN - then we can lower the jitter to nanoseconds. But thatā€™s future and nothing to look for in the next few years.

The idea of having a AgOpenGPS being able to SEE is amazing. But with the right hardware, please. Picture processing has to be done in FPGAs like shown here or here. The outcome is a few bytes per second, so every low-latency transmission is suitable.

So my perfect system has an iMX core (Teensy) with the AOG runtime running on it, communicates to the CAN busses and has WiFi to any mobile device for the GUI. GMS sticks, IMUs, F9P can connect via USB or CAN. Letā€™s make it happen!

By the way: Network-over-USB including UDP works with Windows 10 out-of-the-box, too.

5 Likes

Just setting up the network. I figured the boards just get plugged in and inos uploaded and they are good.

Checkout this thread.

I did my best to explain how the wireless network works in OGX.

4 Likes

Can it also include hardware requirements?

1 Like

Great no wires no connectors broken or pullouts.
Best future wireless.

Phones in near future will not have any ports thats a fate shared with tablets as thay get thiner like finding a tablet cheap with ethernet port is becoming imposible soon no usb no charge port.

1 Like

Ok nice on wireless solutions, no cable clutter and clean install. But security? Malicious people are jammer with their ESP series.