Universal Fit Gear System, with Quick Tach Motor Holder

The gps can draw 2A. Mostly poe would be handy for cameras. AOG already has a webcam viewer built in.

But thinking of interoperability, some tractors may use electric steer others may use hydraulic or CAN. So for some you may only use the panda module ever.

If the phidgets was its own module, then if you want electric steer you build that module.

So far this is just an idea I am discussing nothing written in stone. But it might also reduce motor heating having cytron to motor wires 15cm or less vs a meter across the cab. Also its easily back compatible. With UDP everyone is on a party line for information, so it does not matter too much where it goes in or comes out.

I think to keep it easiest with Agio and udp you would need a second usb wifi adapter, or router, if simultaneously wanting to use your phone for corrections and wifi to steer. Though there may be another work around.

1 Like

From PoE directly to usb 5v 2.4A, GPS module will work from PoE.

Cameras are easy just feeding 12v to wire.

I have rtk2b and PCBv2 powered from USB if I forget to switch it on and it works from 500ma USB port.

Thats why all in one PCBs are limiting I really like modular system of AOG from hardware to software from simple light bar to top of the line autosteer and everything in between.

1 Like

I think this whole project was heading towards a polished finality around the original board. But too many exciting new upgrades to add to the Spaceship.

After the announcement of v5.5 being a long term stable release, It got everyone’s imagination going again.
Frees up room to break things.

Its a lot of different ideas and directions all at once. But its cool how much change we can make without too many new components.

2 Likes

I’m coming around to the idea of using the gear driven solution from PotatoFarmer. Temperatures can hit 130F in the cab of a tractor parked in the hot summer sun here. For that reason and the impacts in some of our fields plastic makes me a little nervous. That said, I’m planning to print a similar gear arrangement but will use steel/aluminum to hold things together where I can. The wheel gear will be made of 6x 60degree segments, keyed together and sandwiched between steel plates top and bottom. I’ll add a picture of that once I’m through the printing.

It will be neat to see, your top cab temperature is about the same as the top operational temp for PETG.

1 Like

I understand you point of view but the 3d printing in hot temperature can be hot and “plastic” condition but not liquid to loose it except if you work in dead valley or similar

After start the tractor the cab will be cool by A/C the 3D printing will be cooling .

If you want to do metalic parts you can be inspired by my concept that is more friction type with mix of steel and TPU

Those temps are probably in the rear-view mirror for this season. I’m using the PET-G (instead of TPU) because it’s a little easier for me to print at this time.

Here are a couple of pics…

I printed 6 segments of different infill % just to see how things hold up. The top and bottom collars are 12ga steel.

I added a tooth (13T) to the drive gear so that I could slip a hub underneath.

Something very primitive for now to interface the motor to the wheel gear. I’ll print shims (3x) to secure the bottom mount to the motor. Electronics will take care of the backfeed and allow op to take control of the machine.

Tractor is a JD6420, if anyone is wondering.

2 Likes

There are so many different ways of tackling the same problem on this forum, great to see creativity is still alive and well.

Let us know how the teeth hold up over time.
I found pteg to pteg, was good until it got a rough finish then it would start to shred.

1 Like

I really like the approach you took on friction drive. That is certainly another direction I might take. I had considered briefly friction drive at the perimeter of the wheel but I could not get comfortable with cantilevering all that weight so far away from the mount point.

You’ve done a very nice job here!

hello Holobox thanks a lot

It is true you need to find fixation near the steering gear to avoid this cantileveling

On JD 6000 or M you can see that i make by drilling a fixation on steering point to be really strong

for TPU for me it look so easy to print for me it is strange that you have dificulty: is your gear motor shape not good ?

I haven’t tried printing TPU yet - I’m aware that some have problems feeding the fliament through the extruder. I don’t know if that would be an issue or not on my Prusa I3 Mk3 or not – I just wanted to make the gear quickly and get the mechanical portion of the design worked out. I will address wear issues later.

I am a little nervous about the attachment point on the JD 6420 – on my tractor that piece looks like it is cast from pot-metal – I don’t want to crush or crack it. For now, I’m using a pair of u-bolts to distribute the load and being very careful not to overtighten.

It is quite a challenge getting these kinds of things into a machine that was not designed for them!

for gear it is mainly a position and antitorque requirement

dont be afraid !! it will be work more than expected !

1 Like

Hi, i am new to the site, but very excited. I have tried to find my way aroumd the forum but i have not found the AOG parts list you mention. Where do I find it? Appritiate the help and all the work you have put into this. Great work!

Hi. Look Here https://github.com/farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS/releases

2 Likes

Thank you!

Cheers @PotatoFarmer . Just got my printed parts. Will print gears later just using a lawnmower ring gear for now.

3 Likes

Its still fascinating seeing these gears pop up in different colours around the globe, very nice.

The original set is still going strong, hopefully they give you the same service life as well.

5 Likes

Hi PotatoFarmer,

Can you quickly give me the link to the google drive containing the universal system. I’ve seen a number of referral to the drive but not the exact link.

Thx.

Its in the first post in this thread:

thx for some reason I missed it.

2 Likes