Using Deere OEM Steering Encoder?

Does your encoder have two outputs?

Mine does

It’s not me who modified the code but it took a few tries to get there, initially at certain positions of the steering wheel it triggered directly

yes only use one

Hi everyone

I have updated my tractor by the newer AIO Board V4.1.
Is it correct, that this board has better capabilities to read the JD encoder?

I don’t think it’s any better then v2.x. Is your encoder the dual signal (quadrature) type? The Teensy firmware doesn’t even use an interrupt.

Correction
Yes, v4.x works better with 5v encoders then v2.x

V4 is better.
It will switch between lo/high at around 2 volts versus v2.x board are at more than 5v, so not usable.

But to have better reading both encoder signals should be read. that’s not supported so far.
You could still encounter disengaging if on signal is on the edge.

Also remember that there are 2 JD steering wheel sensor type. Quadrature encoder and variable duty type.

Hello Pat
thank you for your response.
I had in mind, that the teensy on the v4 board is better protected, so that fits to your statement.

I don’t know why we need both encoder signals, because it has a very stabel output (variable duty type). Valentin had wrote some code (for arduino) wich also takes care of the edge of sche signal.

My hope is, that we can bring ich the signal to the AIO board, and the teensy could directly handle the signal.

If this ist not possible, we could maybe transform the signal to voltage!?

Greethings, Peter

Oh, yeah. I think variable duty signal could work nicely on v4 AiO without hardware modification. The JD I work on only have quadrature encoder.

Super excited to hear that!!!

Are you Patrick I. in the telegram chat?
I’ve sent you a ‘couple’ of messages…

I am upgrading our 8330 to use the v4.5 AIO boards - everything is working except for the steering wheel encoder. I have tried to read through all of this thread. Does anyone know how best I should hook up the 5v encoder? I had it working on v2.0 boards but cannot figure it out now

Hi John
We have worked on that.
@Pat has the teensy code for you.

Please let us know if it has worked.
Peter

If said code works, is it being introduced into the main code base?

A 8330 have maybe a quadrature encoder?
I have made a code tested by @Peter_S , it’s for variable duty encoders.
For quadrature encoder I use a dedicated nano reading both chanels and emulating a signal for the remote pin.

I think in general olders like 30 serie have quadrature encoders and newer like M and R variable duty.

Here is the code for all AiO versions:
Autosteer_gps_teensy_v4_JD_freq3.zip (46,9 Ko)
You read it with the pressure pin.
On AiO v4.5 you probably have to remove a filtering capacitor to have a nice reading.
On older boards it probably work as is since the divider draw a little more (up to 1ma).

Yes, I have the quadrature encoder. I was not sure from reading up above if some updates had been done on v4.5 to make for a simple installation. Could you send the nano code you have?

Here:
John_Deere_Quadrature_Encoder_Nano.zip (759 Octets)
I simply put the Nano in the harness.
5v and Gnd.
10k or 50k resistors on the wires to the encoder.
330 to 1k resistor to the AiO remote pin.

Maybe others have other ideas but I make it this way so I use stock ino and the wheel sensing work flawlessly.

On my 8300 with quadrature encoder I was able to tap one of the encoder’s signal pins into the remote pin on the AIO. Just a direct connection, the later AIO’s are all setup to accept that type of signal. In AOG I set it to encoder and the have the counts fairly high, I think around 10. This works for me but doesn’t work for everyone. Some encoders will sit right on the signal edge and flicker, and the AIO wired in this manner would see that as steering wheel movement and disengage autosteer. Sometimes that flicker can be right away, and sometimes it can be after a few minutes. Mine works and its a low effort to try, but it is not guaranteed to work for you.

The arduino solution prevents that issue and is guaranteed to work 100%.

In the french group we have not same encoder in ou 6R 6M (probably germany production)

frequency or pulse cannot be used.

The encoder is stable frequency only the wave change according position .
( AL223369 >> AL233346 )

In initial point we can read some voltage with multimeter .

So we adapt a code by reading the wave of one pin that can be Low or the High mode.

We apply to read the value with A14 on the teensy
/!\ (be careful to divide al voltage so as not to inject 5v to the teensy)
with experiance of virtual turn sensor based on serries of successive error we can defined the good timing to cancel autosteer.

Result in video

the code is here